Zodiac signs

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PeacefulWarrior, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Not sure if this is spiritual or philosophical but here goes, so I just got this book it's called sextrology and I read some of my friends signs and the book is completely on point about their personalities. I also read about myself and the book went pretty deep into it even included my relationship with my parents and that was dead on for the most part.

I figure since everyday the Earth rotates to a different sign and on that sign a certain type of person is born. Assuming we backtrack to every major event known to our generation and see what sign the day of the event falls under if we may recognize some kind of pattern for each sign.
    /end random high thought

2. sounds interesting , i LOVE astrology :hello:

3. See if you can find a copy of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs. Some local libraries have it. You'll be blown away when you see how true to you your sign is!

4. #4 PeacefulWarrior, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    Yea no doubt, 100% on point not just on me but my mom, my girl, all the friends I read about. I think you can take this stuff pretty deep if we can study our history and find out the signs for each occurrence, maybe bring some organization to the chaos that is life. Maybe I'm just too high to think coherent thoughts haha :smoking:.

Just checked that book out on google reader, it goes even deeper than sextrology (more fun based). Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely check it out after I'm done with the two I'm reading currently.

5. This is how astrologers make money. It is called forecasting. Ronald and Nancy Reagen had a personal astrologer in the White House at all time that would help them reach decisions on all of their political problems. Queen Elizabeth's personal astrologer persuaded her to command the English warfleet to stay put when the Spanish Armada was coming despite fears because he predicted that there would be a gigantic storm. Low and behold, the Spanish Armada ran into a huge storm at sea trying to get to the English ships position and did not take England.

6. Astrology is so blatantly bullshit. I shouldn't even have to explain why. :rolleyes:

7. Then what isn't bullshit? Religion?

8. Just as much bullshit as any other superstition.

9. I don't really know about astrology as a whole, I just started getting into it after reading about the signs and how blatantly not bullshit they happen to be. I would like to hear your reasoning for why you think astrology is bullshit.

10. #11 PeacefulWarrior, Jun 6, 2010
    Hmm you may be on to something.... :rolleyes:

I agree with horoscopes being bullshit, some vague nonsense written by some retard. Zodiac signs are 100% on point, you should look into your sign and determine if it's bullshit.

11. Haha, I was about to post that up. It never ceases to astonish me just how gullible people are.

I wonder if there's a market for this sort of thing... I wonder if I could write a book and have people give me their money...

12. I doubt you can write a book since you cant hyper link to some "astrology is bullshit website". Do some research then if you still think it's bullshit then hey maybe you're right. Forming an uninformed opinion and believing in it is just as gullible as believing in superstition...

13. #15 aero18, Jun 6, 2010
    The link worked fine for me and still does.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlMiKrwCRQ0]YouTube - Astrology Debunked - Richard Dawkins in Enemies of Reason[/ame]

And, since everyone loves Bill Nye, here's some fun:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU"]YouTube- Bill Nye on Astrology[/ame]

Can't leave out a fellow stoner scientist!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iunr4B4wfDA&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube- Carl Sagan on Astrology[/ame]

14. I believe in signs not horoscopes, cant deny what I read. I guess astrology may be a bit unstable and always changing, Sagan nailed it on the head. Bill Nye may be on to something, but the signs are still on point I seriously don't know how to even begin to explain it logically.

15. All "refutations" of astrology I have ever seen (including those in the videos you posted) are completely focused on sun sign horoscopes. There are 9 planets, 12 houses, multiple nodes, conjunctions, asteroids, and THEN there is the sun.

It is like focusing on the red band in a rainbow and calling the entire rainbow red. There is going to be no worthwhile experiment if you only take into account half-assed astrological reporting.

Like I proposed, do the experiment. Don't be hesitant.

16. #18 aero18, Jun 6, 2010
    I chose a random name, on a random birthday (including a random time), on a birthplace that I am not born in.

What do you know? Despite the information not reflecting any accurate information about myself, I could relate to about 90-95% of the "traits".

There's a reason that this archaic pseudoscience is so general that it applies to everyone. When you first posted that link, I thought it was to show what garbage astrology actually is.

I guess credulous people will believe anything that is spoon-fed to them. The education system should focus more on teaching about the importance of critical thought, rationalism, and scientific skepticism in school. Some need to have someone else to teach them these valuable traits or else they will never have a proper grasp on them.

17. Ive never understood how astrology has gotten so much respect compared to other superstitions. No offense but i'd rather believe in fortune cookies.

18. Haha, yeah. At least you get some nutrition from that cookie.

You know what my astrology reading told me? I am a freedom-loving person.

Well, FUCK, that was totally off. I like living in a caged box with no say over what I can do; just like everyone else on this planet. /sarcasm