ZOB vs HVY vs MGW?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by 1finite, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, I currently have a 38x4mm small dome perc bong and I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger, thicker, and without a perc. Right now I'm trying to decide between a 50x5mm 16" or 20" HVY Straight tube, a 50x7mm MGW 15" Straight tube, and a 50X5mm 18" Zob beaker. All these are on @LT if you want to check them out. If I bought the HVY or ZOB I would probably pick up an Alex K showerhead downstem too. Any opinions? My ashcatcher's joint is 14mm and 45degrees, so I'd like something with that sized hole and not stemless. You should be able to figure out my price range from those pieces I listed, so if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know!

2. I picked up a ZOB a little over a month ago, and I love it. I'd definitely recommend it.

3. [quote name='"DontTellSmokey"']I picked up a ZOB a little over a month ago, and I love it. I'd definitely recommend it.[/quote]

I had an inline to 8 arm zob. It was OK. At the time of purchase i was not aware that these tubes are not hand blown. DON'T BUY A ZOB. OVERPRICED. Mass produced. Junk.

4. I would probably get the HVY. No reason to spend the extra 40 on the 7mm tube in my opinion, but then again I have never had any glass break from a cause that wasn't clearly my fault. Since you're going to be getting an Alex K the stock downstems don't really matter to you, but if they did that would be a point in favor of the MGW. Don't get a beaker. They just aren't as visually pleasing. Straight tubes stack bubbles higher and also look cleaner/require less water.

edit: Also ZOB labels are gross as hell

5. OK, I think I'll rule the Zob out. I really don't like how the HVY joint looks sadly; that's what making me hesitate with them

6. Well the HVY one just sold out, so your choice is easy.

7. I just got myself a 7mm tube. ITs a Hydro Glass Dome Perc. I love it. ITs a straight tube so the whole things super thick and heavy. ITs about 17 inches tall too. I love it and dont regret getting the 7mm at all. ITs tottally worth it. YOu appreciate it every time you smoke.

8. I'm still considering the 20"

9. i picked up a mgw 7mm 21 in and i love it. I knocked this bong over a couple times and nothing broke, it feels really sturdy

10. When it comes to straight tubes (anything sans perc) I'd rather go with thicker glass. I have a locally blown 7mm beaker bottom that has seen some knocks and drops in its day, but it lives.

11. What would people say about the MGW downstem vs. an Alex K? They look kind of similar but I've heard such good things about Alex K

12. #12 Wied420, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
    I'd definitely grab an Alex K. You WILL NOT be disappointed. Do you already have a nice ice-pinch style slide? I noticed the MGW comes with a nice 4-pinch slide, while the HVY is a single hole. That will make a world of a difference with airflow through either diffuser.

I would vote for the MGW tube, if you were to get the Alex K diffy with it.
    If you get the HVY tube with Alex K diffuser, you'll want to invest in a new ice pinch or disc diffused slide as well. Otherwise you're just not going to get the airflow to really make that Alex K showerhead work.

So the question is do you want to have a spare diffuser for the MGW tube, or a spare one-hole slide for the HVY tube?

13. I already have a nice worked ice pince slide, so maybe I will sell it too and have the extra money to get the MGW and Alex K. The only problem is finding buyers

14. Then you're fine. Just grab the HVY and Alex K. You'll be set. (just make sure all 14/18mm stuff is matching up for you, but I assume you've got that down.)

oh, and get the 20" tube. :D For under $120 for a 50x5mm, that's a good deal.

15. #15 1finite, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
    You'd take 5mm over 7mm?

Edit: I bought the HVY 50x5mm and Alex K Downstem. It cost roughly the same as the MGW and I'll get a bigger bong

16. You're set. :bongin: We'll require photos/videos of it once you get it you know...

17. Of course! I actually ended up getting the 16" HVY 50x5mm beaker instead of straight tube. I've never owned a beaker, so this is a first! :bongin:

18. ive had a mini HVY beaker for a while now, has never let me down. has fell twice and survived no problem. i do need a new downstem or get my 2010bc one repaired, rocking the 6 slit stock one

mine has a small hand ground type joint though so its real low profile, idk if yours does too

19. Yea that's what mine has too. It seems like it will be more durable

20. Here's a pic of the whole setup with my Morgan ice pinch bowl and SSFG mini inline
    I'll post vids once I can actually fully milk it without dying. :eek: This thing's a beast compared to my old bong! I love the low profile joint for the downstem; it actually has already saved the bong when someone was too clumsy and made what would have been a joint-destroying mistake had this joint been made any differently. Just got a chip :mad:

I'm blown away at the difference the Alex K makes! No drag even with the a/c and sooo smooth

Attached Files: