Zero

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ReallyRed, Feb 20, 2012.

1. #1 ReallyRed, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
    so, a little mind-bending riddle that a friend told me that i thought was really neat to mull over in my mind.

preface it with "what is the numerical value of god?"

it seems simple enough... some will say that it's 1 (as in, "there is only one god.") some will say 3 (as in "the father, the son and the holy spirit") and some may even say 42 (cause come on, Douglas Adams is awesome!)

but his answer was 0.

he went on to say that if you want to understand the face of god, you have to contemplate zero... not because zero is an absence of something (though i'm sure the anti-theists would like that explanation) but because god is apparently infinite.

so, how does infinity come out to zero?

take every numerical value... from 1 to infinity... also, take every negative number from -1 to infinity in the negative... add it all up and you get zero. this can be seen in physics as well... matter and anti-matter... the tao (yin and yang... or wuji)... good and evil... male and female... all aspects of a duality that when brought together will come to create a whole but also an absence of a value.

not only that, but zero has so much going for it... it is the absence of value so the possabilities of what it could become are endless... it is like that pause as you're cresting over a big hill on a roller-coaster. you know where it's going but at that very moment in time, you are frozen between upwards vertical movement and downwards vertical movement.

it's something that's been rattling about in my head for a while now.

so, what does this have to do with god? well, if you follow the abrahamic path, before there was anything, there was only god... so, before matter/anti-matter there wasn't any matter at all... so, does that mean that god could be embodied in the numerical value of zero? seems like a decent mind-game/riddle to think about. maybe try it next time you get a real nice high going (and you're of the religious type or questioning faith.)

2. "I am nothing at all."

[​IMG]

Alpha + Omega = G0d

3. This one example irks me just a little, since there's a big imbalance between anti-matter, and matter. Besides, you can't create or destroy energy(is in proportion with mass), so the argument centered around 0 is rather invalid. Continue on, though.

4. ^Energy cannot be created or destroyed... and you think the sum balance of the Universe isn't zero?!

Hah!

5. #5 ReallyRed, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
    well, to be fair there are some theories that suggest that the matter/anti-matter split is seen in what some are theorizing as our universe's opposite (it's anti-matter component.) we are only really used to matter because that's what is the most abundant in our universe. i remember reading that some observations of the way our universe is shaped is that it's being pulled in a particular direction and where it terminates is where the other, the anti-matter universe exists. i'll see about googling it for you but that might take a bit of time.

http://twinuniverse.org/

^ that's the best i could find as text so far, i'll keep an eye out for the specific show/article/etc that suggested that. knowing my habits it was probably an episode of Horizon. slight flaw with that site, though since it seems to take an existing hypothesis (the one about yin and yang) and tries to prove it's existence... which kinda reminds me of someone i know that came up with a mathematical proof that 2+2=5 (i know that that bit violates what we know of math but when you set out to prove something, you can probably find a way to prove it even if it contradicts known universal constants/laws/etc.)

6. see: "Zero" by Smashing Pumpkins :cool:

7. whoa..

but i dunno if u can put infity on a numerical scale, which is kind of what i picked up from this.

but yeah, also i reckon the numerical value of god would probly be 0, in the sense that he is void of any mesurable means of scale, but instead god is in the infinite present (not in any time scale).

this probly makes no sense... lol
    so blazed.