zero point energy?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by hoboleader, Jul 6, 2011.

1. so my computer monitor ive noticed is sucked up some of my weed. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, and im kinda high writing this. but let me explain in detail.

so i was smoking a joint and sitting at my comp. i blew out the hit. and as i blew it, some of the smoke passed by the cherry of my joint bringing some ash along with it.
    then the ash got yoinked to my monitor. and its sticking there like its magnetic.

this isnt a one time thing, this happens alot.

so im wondering if its possible to do this same test. if i can replicate the magnetic field of my monitor but with more power. I wonder wat would happen.

any advice on how i could do this?

2. It's static, not zero point energy.

MelT

3. What he said^ and if there sticking to it really good it's prob because it's.........sticky!!!!!!!!!!

4. yup, statik drew it in, and the sticky ash stuck afterwards.

as for creating this magnetic energy, all you got to do is spin stuff.

5. Static is an equally wondrous force of our natural universe as the concept of "zero point energy", but it's also have the more wondrous property of being real and observable!

Don't get me started on vacuum energy!

6. I kinda want to know, how does empty space have energy. Only thing I could think of is when the vacuum is breached in some way, all of that potentially energy turns to kinetic energy, thus sucking everything in. Am I close, or just high?

7. I don't think it's a zero point energy..Maybe its just static. A vacuum energy is not a zero point energy anyway.

8. "...A phenomenon that is commonly presented as evidence for the existence of zero-point energy in vacuum is the Casimir effect, proposed in 1948 by Dutch physicist Hendrik B. G. Casimir (Philips Research), who considered the quantized electromagnetic field between a pair of grounded, neutral metal plates. The vacuum energy contains contributions from all wavelengths, except those excluded by the spacing between plates. As the plates draw together, more wavelengths are excluded and the vacuum energy decreases. The decrease in energy means there must be a force doing work on the plates as they move. This force has been measured and found to be in good agreement with the theory. However, there is still some debate on whether vacuum energy explains the Casimir effect as the force can be explained equally well by a different theory involving charge-current interactions (the radiation-reaction picture), as argued by Robert Jaffe of MIT.[6]
    The experimentally measured Lamb shift has been argued to be, in part, a zero-point energy effect..."

MelT

9. if you scuff your feet on carpet somewhere with 0% humidity, it's fun to point at zeros and touch them.