Zen parables

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Land Cow, May 23, 2010.

1. Lol. It's true!! All paths do lead to the same place. All paths, though they differ on the surface, are ultimately the same.

2. Yeah, maybe... but it doesn't matter if Jesus was enlightened or not, or what a Yogi has to say about it. Another's enlightenment is of little use to you. You could live with a Buddha your whole life and never obtain Nirvana. The Master has but a finger pointing at the Moon.

Florida is the "Sunshine State." :p

3. lol yeah that's why I edited it, I realized it like 30 seconds later, but you caught my error, damn you!!! lol

4. A young student went to a Zen monastery and bowed before a master, asking for guidance on the road to enlightenment. The master grabbed the student, pulled him down to a river, and put his head under water.

Right before the student stopped struggling and stopped breathing, the Master pulled him from the water.

"When you want enlightenment as much as your next breath, come back."

Enlightenment is not something to be attained, but something you be, after surrendering everything else

5. #25 chronik5, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    The Gift of Insults

There once lived a great warrior. Though quite old, he still was able to defeat any challenger. His reputation extended far and wide throughout the land and many students gathered to study under him.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOne day an infamous young warrior arrived at the village. He was determined to be the first man to defeat the great master. Along with his strength, he had an uncanny ability to spot and exploit any weakness in an opponent. He would wait for his opponent to make the first move, thus revealing a weakness, and then would strike with merciless force and lightning speed. No one had ever lasted with him in a match beyond the first move.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tMuch against the advice of his concerned students, the old master gladly accepted the young warrior's challenge. As the two squared off for battle, the young warrior began to hurl insults at the old master. He threw dirt and spit in his face. For hours he verbally assaulted him with every curse and insult known to mankind. But the old warrior merely stood there motionless and calm. Finally, the young warrior exhausted himself. Knowing he was defeated, he left feeling shamed.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tSomewhat disappointed that he did not fight the insolent youth, the students gathered around the old master and questioned him. "How could you endure such an indignity? How did you drive him away?"
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"If someone comes to give you a gift and you do not receive it," the master replied, "to whom does the gift belong?"

The Present Moment

A Japanese warrior was captured by his enemies and thrown into prison. That night he was unable to sleep because he feared that the next day he would be interrogated, tortured, and executed. Then the words of his Zen master came to him, "Tomorrow is not real. It is an illusion. The only reality is now." Heeding these words, the warrior became peaceful and fell asleep.

Self Control

One day there was an earthquake that shook the entire Zen temple. Parts of it even collapsed. Many of the monks were terrified. When the earthquake stopped the teacher said, "Now you have had the opportunity to see how a Zen man behaves in a crisis situation. You may have noticed that I did not panic. I was quite aware of what was happening and what to do. I led you all to the kitchen, the strongest part of the temple. It was a good decision, because you see we have all survived without any injuries. However, despite my self-control and composure, I did feel a little bit tense - which you may have deduced from the fact that I drank a large glass of water, something I never do under ordinary circumstances."
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOne of the monks smiled, but didn't say anything.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"What are you laughing at?" asked the teacher.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"That wasn't water," the monk replied, "it was a large glass of soy sauce."

6. #26 teh_biscuit, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    I'll post my favorites:

The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamt that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"

One day Chuang Tzu and a friend were walking by a river. "Look at the fish swimming about," said Chuang Tzu, "They are really enjoying themselves." "You are not a fish," replied the friend, "So you can't truly know that they are enjoying themselves."
    "You are not me," said Chuang Tzu. "So how do you know that I do not know that the fish are enjoying themselves?"

chronick posted my other 2 favorites(his first two)

7. ^Some good ones (all you guys.)

Buddha's Zen

8. The Sound of One Hand
    The master of Kennin temple was Mokurai, Silent Thunder. He had a little protege named Toyo who was only twelve years old. Toyo saw the older disciples visit the master's room each morning and evening to receive instruction in sanzen or personal guidance in which they were given koans to stop mind-wandering.
    Toyo wished to do sanzen also.
    "Wait a while," said Mokurai. "You are too young."
    But the child insisted, so the teacher finally consented.
    In the evening little Toyo went at the proper time to the threshold of Mokurai's sanzen room. He struck the gong to announce his presence, bowed respectfully three times outside the door, and went to sit before the master in respectful silence.
    "You can hear the sound of two hands when they clap together," said Mokurai. "Now show me the sound of one hand."
    Toyo bowed and went to his room to consider this problem. From his window he could hear the music of the geishas. "Ah, I have it!" he proclaimed.
    The next evening, when his teacher asked him to illustrate the sound of one hand, Toyo began to play the music of the geishas.
    "No, no," said Mokurai. "That will never do. That is not the sound of one hand. You've not got it at all."
    Thinking that such music might interrupt, Toyo moved his abode to a quiet place. He meditated again. "What can the sound of one hand be?" He happened to hear some water dripping. "I have it," imagined Toyo.
    When he next appeared before his teacher, Toyo imitated dripping water.
    "What is that?" asked Mokurai. "That is the sound of dripping water, but not the sound of one hand. Try again."
    In vain Toyo meditated to hear the sound of one hand. He heard the sighing of the wind. But the sound was rejected.
    He heard the cry of an owl. This also was refused.
    The sound of one hand was not the locusts.
    For more than ten times Toyo visited Mokurai with different sounds. All were wrong. For almost a year he pondered what the sound of one hand might be.
    At last little Toyo entered true meditation and transcended all sounds. "I could collect no more," he explained later, "so I reached the soundless sound."
    Toyo had realized the sound of one hand.

9. Everyday Life Is the Path
    Joshu asked Nansen: "What is the path?"
    Nansen said: "Everyday life is the path."
    Joshu asked: "Can it be studied?"
    Nansen said: "If you try to study, you will be far
    away from it."
    Joshu asked: "If I do not study, how can I know it
    is the path?"
    Nansen said: "The path does not belong to the
    perception world, neither does it belong to the
    nonperception world. Cognition is a delusion and
    noncognition is senseless. If you want to reach
    the true path beyond doubt, place yourself in the
    same freedom as sky. You name it neither good
    nor not-good."
    At these words Joshu was enlightened.

10. ^Such is the like-ness of the Mind, the Earth, and this whole Universe... sky-like. :)

11. #31 chronik5, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    Time to Die
    Ikkyu, the Zen master, was very clever even as a boy. His teacher had a precious teacup, a rare antique. Ikkyu happened to break this cup and was greatly perplexed. Hearing the footsteps of his teacher, he held the pieces of the cup behind him. When the master appeared, Ikkyu asked: "Why do people have to die?"
    "This is natural," explained the older man. "Everything has to die and has just so long to live."
    Ikkyu, producing the shattered cup, added: "It was time for your cup to die."

Student: "Who preaches the wisdom of the Buddha?" Nanyang: "Walls and stones." Student: "How can they teach anything - they are insentient?" Nanyang: "They are always eloquently teaching the truth." Student: "I can't hear it." Nanyang: "But that doesn't mean everyone can't." Student: "Who hears it then?" Nanyang: "All the sages do."

No Loving-Kindness

There was an old woman in China who had supported a monk for over twenty years. She had built a little hut for him and fed him while he was meditating. Finally she wondered just what progress he had made in all this time.
    To find out, she obtained the help of a girl rich in desire. "Go and embrace him," she told her, "and then ask him suddenly: 'What now?'"
    The girl called upon the monk and without much ado caressed him, asking him what he was going to do about it.
    "An old tree grows on a cold rock in winter," replied the monk somewhat poetically. "Nowhere is there any warmth."
    The girl returned and related what he had said.
    "To think I fed that fellow for twenty years!" exclaimed the old woman in anger. "He showed no consideration for your needs, no disposition to explain your condition. He need not have responded to passion, but at least he should have evidenced some compassion."
    She at once went to the hut of the monk and burned it down.

Soldiers of Humanity

Once a division of the Japanese army was engaged in a sham battle, and some of the officers found it necessary to make their headquarters in Gasan's temple.

Gasan told his cook: "Let the officers have only the same simple fare we eat."

This made the army men angry, as they were used to very deferential treatment. One came to Gasan and said: "Who do you think we are? We are soldiers, sacrificing our lives for our country. Why don't you treat us accordingly?"

Gasan answered sternly: "Who do you think we are? We are soldiers of humanity, aiming to save all sentient beings."

12. Nothing Exists

13. The Master Chef

The Master Chef knows what tastes good. He uses the finest ingredients. He prepares his meals with the utmost attention. He provides the proper silverware. His preparations are immaculate.

But alas, the patrons must taste the food for themselves.

14. not so much Zen but enlightened none the less.

"I tell you, keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep seeking, and you will find. Keep knocking, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."
    – Luke 11:9-10, World English Bible

TWO PARRT

Good Samaritan

Behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
    He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"
    He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind [Deuteronomy 6:5]; and your neighbor as yourself [Leviticus 19:18]."
    He said to him, "You have answered correctly. Do this, and you will live."
    But he, desiring to justify himself, asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?"
    – Luke 10:25–29, World English Bible

Jesus replies with a story:

Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, 'Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.' Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbor to him who fell among the robbers?"
    He said, "He who showed mercy on him."
    Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."
    – Luke 10:30–37, World English Bible

15. #35 teh_biscuit, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    ^^^ post some more please. Those were great.

Moving Mind:

Two men were arguing about a flag flapping in the wind. "It's the wind that is really
    moving," stated the first one. "No, it is the flag that is moving," contended the second. A Zen master, who happened to be walking by, overheard the debate and interrupted them. "Neither the flag nor the wind is moving," he said, "It is MIND that moves."

(In other versions of this story,
    the master says it is the HEART
    that flaps)

16. #36 Perpetual Burn, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
    ^Check the New Testament for more like those. Jesus spoke in nothing but parables.

Ten Virgins

Mark 25

^Oil = Consciousness. Groom = Enlightenment.

Sinking Ship

One day, a man was out to sea when his ship began to sink. The man started praying to God to save him. A rescue boat came along and asked if the man needed help. The man said, "No thanks, God is going to save me." The rescue boat left and the man kept praying. Another rescue boat came along to assist the man. Again, the man declined help saying, "God is going to answer my prayers and will save me."

The ship sank. The man goes to heaven and asks God why he did not save him. God said, "I sent you two rescue boats."

17. #37 Perpetual Burn, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
    The Stingy Wife

A man's wife was notorious for being very stingy with the family's money. She would not allow the family to enjoy their money as much as they would have liked. She always saved as much money as she could and lived very ascetically. This became a problem for her husband and son, they wanted to enjoy the fruits of their labor more.

One day, it was rumored that a Zen Master was travelling through town. The man decided to ask the Zen Master if he would help and talk to his wife. The Master obliged and went to the man's home.

The Master did not bring the issue up when the family was gathered in the living room. The Master followed the wife into the kitchen to have a private conversation with her. The Master simply held out his hand in a fist and asked, "If my hand was always like this, what would you say?"

The wife replied, "I would say there is something wrong with it."

The Master then held out his hand perfectly flat and asked, "If my hand was always like this, what would you say?"

Again, the wife replied, "I would say there is something wrong with it."

The Master smiled and returned to the living room declaring, "Your wife knows everything she needs to know."

From that day on, the wife was much more liberal with what she let the family spend money on.

--

This isn't the official version, but it's the basic story. If anyone knows where I could find the original, that'd be appreciated.

18. Muddy Road

Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.

Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.

“Come on, girl,” said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.

Ekido did not speak again until that night, when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. “We monks don’t go near females,” he told Tanzan, “especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?”

“I left the girl there,” said Tanzan. “Are you still carrying her?”

-----------

The Thief Who Became a Disciple

One evening, as Shichiri Kojun was reciting sutras, a thief with a sharp sword entered, demanding either his money or his life.

Shichiri told him: “Do not disturb me. You can find the money in that drawer.” Then he resumed his recitation.
    A little while afterward, he stopped and called: “Don’t take it all. I need some to pay taxes with tomorrow.”
    The intruder gathered up most of the money and started to leave. “Thank a person when you receive a gift,” Shichiri added. The man thanked him and made off.
    A few days afterward, the fellow was caught and confessed, among others, the offense against Shichiri. When Shichiri was called as a witness, he said: “This man is no thief, at least as far as I am concerned. I gave him the money and he thanked me for it.”
    After he had finished his prison term, the man went to Shichiri and became his disciple.

19. #39 chronik5, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
    Every day Master Zuigan used to call to himself, "Master!" and would answer, "Yes!" Again, he would call, "Thoroughly awake!" and he would answer, "Yes!Yes!" "Don't be deceived by others any day or any time." "No! No!"

Ananda asked Kashyapa, In all earnestness, "The World-Honored One transmitted the brocade robe to you. What else did he transmit to you?" Kashyapa called, "Ananda!" Ananda replied, "Yes, master." Kashyapa said, 'Knock down the flagpole at the gate.'

20. worse then being deceived by others....is being deceived by ones self;):smoke:

flag pole?:confused: