Zach's Grow Cabinet Build

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WowZach, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Solved all heat issues by drilling two 1" exhaust holes from the top cab to the bottom off in the corner so that they don't interfere with plant location. Didn't attach a snorkel, just a 90 degree black PVC elbow. There's some light leak from the bottom to the top, but I'm not running both at once right now so it's not an issue.

Temps have dropped from 84-86F to 78-80F just by doing that and putting a little desk fan in the bottom cab and my seedlings are already looking much better :hello:

2. I noticed you said you got both the 250w HPS and MH lights. I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to grow lights and I've only got an HPS bulb but do have a switchable ballast. What's the deal with having both?

3. Glad to hear the temps dropped, if you need to block out the extra light im not sure if I posted it but I stretched black pantyhose over each end of my tubes and that really keeps the light leaks to almost nothing.

Metal Halide or MH bulbs are for running Veg. I got a switchable just because I was not sure how this was going to work out it was my first build and first grow. I wasnt sure if the lower cab was going to be tall enough to Veg all the way through I thought I was going to have to finish Veg cycle up top. Now I know I will prob never need the MH light. 

4. Herrs a few pics from the cab I built based on yours.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

6. Brilliant stuff man, great job.
    Very Inspirational.

Question: Does your inline fan ever reach its full RPM's as in do you ever have to MAX it out to get the temps down? 

7. impressive, I didn't see any followups on that humboldt bubba kush??  I got 5 seeds of that on the way now how did they work out??

8. I lost my charge cord for my camera but just got a new phone so will try to get some new pics up. The Bubba Kush started off kinda odd. Grew well in veg to about 8 inches then just seemed to stop growing. So I put it in flower and it went from 8 inches to about 4 feet in 2 weeks. I am prob about a month from harvest on it but so far it is the frostiest plant in the cab. It smells pretty dank with a slight sweet smell. I am excited for this harvest. I will take some updated pics in the next day or 2 with my new phone.

9. Hey, not sure if I missed it or if you didn't mention, what nutrients are you using? Nice work by the way!  :smoke:

10. Great looking cabinet.
    I have a similar one and will gladly put aome pucs up as soon as i figure it out.
    I read your whole thread and thought i should help out if i can.
    I had a spidermite problem yrs ago and have to say neem oil is worth while to buy just in case.
    I have found switching from soil to dwc in plastic totes really helped lower my chances of ever getting mites again.

11. So I have been using this grow cab non stop since I built it, so far so good. Been a few problems here and there but once I finally got it dialed in with what size pots I needed to use, and especially how big I needed to let my babies grow in the veg cab before I put them into flower that was the biggest issue. I found that if I am using clones I can let them get over a foot tall from the base of the stalk to the top of the plant. If I am going the route of growing from a seed I can only let it get 10-12 inches. Since seeds grow faster and larger than clones these sizes seem to usually work pretty well. I eventually started using a tomato cage around each of my plants, that allows me to bend them down to keep them where I want them and essentially works similar to a scrog grow. So much fun and this little cab actually produces some amazing but and its fully automated all I need ot do is water and nutes

12. Oh yea and my problem with mites all came form getting clones from my local MMJ farmers market, I have not done that since I got rid of the mites and have not had an issue since. I do my own clones and when a plant is ready to go into the flower cab I take 2 clones off of it before I put it in a new pot and put it to flower. It really is a purpetual grow that only requires me to buy a bag of soil and some nutes once in a while.

13. This is exactly what I was looking for.. where did the pictures go or am I the only one who cannot see??