Zach's Grow Cabinet Build

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WowZach, Feb 15, 2013.

1. I have a similar armoire im building in my garage. Im having second thoughts on if the lower section is tall enough to put a bubble cloner in. The lower section is 1'7" tall, I was thinking about putting the lights in the top corners instead of directly above them so they have the extra space to grow. If that doesnt work i was thinking about popping holes in the bottom of the top cab just big enough to let the plant sit down in the bottom cab with the top edge of the bucket holding it in place if you take my meaning(for the extra foot of grow space). How tall is the bottom section on your armoire? Also Ive never seen the connections your using between the surge protector and the bulbs that turn it into a track lighting setup.... where did you get those at a local hardware store as well?

Attached Files:

2. I think I have just under 2 feet in my lower cab I have no idea how much room a bubble cloner takes, but for Vegging the lower is about perfect height for mine. If you are going to Veg in the lower all I can say is get those lights as close to the sides as you can. I think mine are about as close to the sides as I want them so they have enough room to dissipate heat. By the time the plants in the lower Veg cab are ready to move to the top the canopy is so full I have to tie branches down to keep them from growing into the lights, really not a big deal I have now found out these plants will grow in whatever direction you tie them so if they are getting too tall I just make them grow out sideways.
    I am close to finishing my first crop and so far besides all the bad luck I have had (not the fault of the cab) everything with the can has been great. Although my fiance left the bedroom door (where I am growing) open while i was gone all weekend and even with the carbon filter she said our whole house smelled faintly of pot. I think I might get some ona just as an extra helper to take care of the smell.

3. Wow those nugs look so chunky and beautiful they look allot like Pineapple chunk. Great grow man keep it up.

4. duuuuuuuude noone I ever talk to seems to know about Pineapple chunk it is one of the seeds I am ordering next, I love that sweet smell and taste. I swear it is one of the only strains I have tried that seems to keep that sweet fruity taste throughout the burn. sooooo tasty.

5. Dude awesome grow , Im new around here to posting but not to the site. Your cabinet is awesome definitely been taking notes on it for my future grow which will be a while. Reps to you man . Cant wait to get my own place , im planning on a 250watt hps cooltube .

6. Thanks for all the kind words and rep all is appreciated. I dont know if you really need to spend the money on the cooltube my 250 watt stays cool enough I can lay my hand on the top side of the fixture and leave it there without being burned its probably only between warm hot to the touch. the fan takes care of removing any heat buildup

7. Thats good to hear I thought the 250Hps would heat up the cab heaps. I guess im aiming for the 250 watt cool tube to connect my carbon filter and exhaust fan, to vent out the back or the top of the cabinet to keep it stealth. Im not sure yet, I need my own place Im dying to grow lol. I like the two chambers your running pretty nifty idea , keep that consistent flow of green growing :). How many hours roughly did your set up take , its a really neat and tidy set up.

8. I was super worried the 250watt would be too much but with my 4 inch fan pulling out the air and going to the carbon filter it keeps the internal temp from 72-to about 80 if I dont leave the bedroom window open a crack. I did it over the course of a month or so as I could afford to buy parts or as they would come from Ebay. Total time I would say maybe 20 hours, alot of that was trial and error trying to make things work. Also laying the mylar was so time cosuming. I read someone on here that they had used a velcro with a sticky back attacked at each corner to hang the mylar. If I had it to do over again that is what I would do.

9. Im pretty stoked to hear they don't heat up a huge amount. I think 250watt is perfect for the home grower wanting a fairly nice yield each time but not over the top , plus it keeps the power bills down lol.Hows your carbon filter holding up does it really scrub the air dead clean ? What type of things did you order of ebay if you don't mind me asking ? ( if its cheaper then around my home town I don't mind the wait for supplies ). The mylar may have been time consuming but imo it tops of the cabinet looks pro.

10. I ordered a kit from Ebay with a 250watt switchable electronic ballast, wing reflector, light hangers, timer, 250w MH bulb and a 250w HPS bulb for $130 delivered to my door. There is a link on the first page of this journal to the kit I bought. The carbon filter also from Ebay Gotham Hydroponics store I believe for $55 it is a 10lb filter with mine carbon not carbon made from burnt coconut shells.

4" x 18" inch Activated Carbon Charcoal Air Filter Odor Control Scrubber F009 | eBay

I wouldnt say dead clean, this is my first experience with a carbon filter so I dont know if it is suppsed to be dead clean mine still has a slight odor in my room especially when the humidity is high the whole first light cycle after a watering. If I leave my window open about 3 inches and keep my door closed there is no smell in the house anywhere and the bedroom (where the cab is) doesnt smell much at all. Window Open just slightly makes all the difference in the world. And no there is not enough of a smell that someone could even smell it if they put their face right next to your window. Maybe if they stuck their head in the room, but then again I smoke alot in there too so that doesnt help.

sorry rambling I know... I think its this Trainwreck Im smoking

11. Thanks for the info and the thread, very helpful for a beginner like myself.

12. I notice the same problem with humidity and the carbon filter. If the humidity climbs it saturates the carbon it seems negating its effects to let air pass through it "scrubbing the odor" it sucks.

I really like your cabinets very nice and relatively stealthy.

You can make a cloner to fit just about any area. I have not had as much luck with the bubble cloner as I have with Rumps cloner. The one that uses the sprayers rather than the bubbles. I built mine using a 1 gallon bucket a dollar, a harbor freight pump like 8 bucks, some foam, a piece of hose and some sprayers off ebay. Its really easy and I think you'd like it better than the bubble cloner.

13. Not rambling on at all man its a good reply , which will probably help me in my future grow and design. That 250watt you got is pretty cheap , I want a decent grow but obviously don't want to spend a huge buck. So if ebay or anywhere is cheaper why wouldn't you wait lol.

14. #75 WowZach, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    So I ordered some seeds Pineapple Chunk, Tutankhamon, and Bubba Kush for my next round.

I opened my cab about 5 mins before my hps came on to check for bugs or any problems so I decided to snap some new pics
    Left and Middle is the Lavender and on the right is the Jamaican Dream that was just put into flower about 5 days ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View over the top of the plants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. looking nice man , jeez I wish I could start my own grow sooner. those buds look like there slowly filling out . good stuff.

16. I did a count of when I started into flower, I should have 1 to 2 weeks left to chop my 2 Lavender. I noticed earlier tonite before I left for work the Lavender that seems more mature has got some purple on about half the buds now. So I hope this continues for the rest of the bud. Just like every new grower Im getting a little ancy to chop but I dont want to do it too early. My camera died and I cant find the charge cord so I will have to look when I get home. I am quickly running out of room in the Veg cab. Actually completely out of room I have tied down a ton of branches and have everything so clumped together it sad to see them not able to spread out.

17. Looking forward to pictures man. I haven't grown before and im ancy as hell to get started I can only imagine what its like when you have a cupboard full of lady bud looking at you. Keep it going for a while longer till those trichs are nice and ripe it will def pay off. Next time maybe use scrog method ? or lst training to keep more room ! peace

18. really nice job on the closet.
    may i ask how long that took and how much it ended up costing you?

19. where you at bro we want some info and pics update this shizzz !! haha