Zach's Grow Cabinet Build

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WowZach, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Looks good man, sub'd

2. Some air leaks through the small gaps around the doors on the upper and lower, the way the doors are designed light cannot escape through the gaps but enough air gets in the fan is not being stressed.

and Lowd there is a 4 inch hole in the upper rear of the cabinet with a 4 inch 160 cfm fan connected to it blowing through a carbon filter. Even with the hps light on the cab never gets above 77 degrees.

3. Cool there are a few how tos for some easy wired outlets that can turn on and off in the diy section.

4. #24 WowZach, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    The first couple of posts I can no longer edit to add pictures to it so I will have to post more here.

I had a problem with the doors leaking too much air past them so the lower air intake was not really working. To cure this problem I went to my local hardware store one more time. In their weatherstrip section I found 2 different thicknesses' of sticky back foam. the thinner of the two was more dense the thicker was more airy so could actually be compressed down more in the door seals.

This is a picture of both types of sticky back foam I found (sorry I thre the packages away) Both came in a close to 20 foot roll and were under $5 per roll. I placed a penny between them so you can gauge how thick they both are

[​IMG]

This is the corner edge of one of the doors with the foam attached to it

[​IMG]

Here is the foam seal at the hinges, some air still comes in around the hinges of the doors to help keep the fan from working too hard pulling all air through the lower intake snorkels

[​IMG]

5. #25 WowZach, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

recent pic of the babies under hps light all in upper portion of cab. I got these when they were almost a month old already. I dont think they were given very much love and care for the first part of their life. I have hope though

[​IMG]

Headband, its already got a bunch of white hairs and just in moving some of the leaves free of each other my fingers feel like they have glue on them from the resin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lavender, I got two of these because I love the smoke so much both already have a nice smell to them.

[​IMG]

Chem Dawg, Which I read is what they call OG Kush in California? I have not tried this kind but read great reviews so wanted to give it a try.

6. #26 WowZach, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    So a friend convinced me to get some Fox Farms Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom, I did the rookie mistake and over nuted them. These pictures are after their plain watering after being over nuted. Did see quite a bit of growth in just a few days from the last pics.

[​IMG]

This is the Chem Dawg it has grown from 17" when I got it and in a week and a half went to 21" alot of new undergrowth

[​IMG]

This is the Headband this didnt take as much damage with the nutrients seems a little more resilliant than the other strains. Looks like it is staying short and stalky. Its getting a ton of white hairs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the lavender strains the stalks on these are dark purple

[​IMG]

Here is the other Lavender they are both getting white hairs not nearly as many as the Headband This one I had to use some gardening wire to make it grow straight up instead of sideways so I have room for all the plants

[​IMG]

7. so Everything is growing nicely for work I have to leave for the weekends so I left Friday night and came home Sunday night to see all the new growth. First picture is all plants in the cab with the hps light on. the plants are now about a week and a half into flower cycle and things seem to all be growing well

[​IMG]

The chem Dawg has totally taken off in about 2 weeks a total of 7 inches of growth tons of new branches and leaves too

[​IMG]

this next picture is the best looking so far of the two Lavender plants the stalks are sooooo dark purple. I have read the leaves and everything will turn the same color later in growth. the new growth of the stem is still green so its fun to see all the new growth every day on these ones.

[​IMG]

Here is the other Lavender I still am using plastic coated wire to try to keep the stalk from growing sideways instead of up.

[​IMG]

Finally this is the Headband, at first it seemed like the fastest growing of the four plants. Now its got a ton of hairs and is looking healthy but the other plants are all taller then this little guy.

[​IMG]

and one more of the Headband from a little different angle.

[​IMG]

8. Its been about 5 days since the last pictures were taken They have had one watering with Roots Organic Bio-Catalyst, Fox Farms Tiger Bloom and Fox Farms Big Bloom, and one watering with ph balanced tap water that I let sit for a couple days and burped a couple times a day to remove the chlorine from the water. The two largest plants the Chem Dawg and one of the Lavender had to both be watered once between the normal waterings. Those two are really drinking it up. Tonight they all get a drink of nutes again before I have to leave for the weekend for work. Growing in dirt sure is nice knowing I can leave for a couple days and not have to worry about the girls.

I finally understand what people meant when I read "you can tell when your plants need water by how heavy they are.There sure is a big difference between the weight of a watered plant and the weight of a dry one.

I germinated my first seeds (Chem Wreck a cross between Chem Dawg and Train Wreck I will start a new grow journal for this one.) and put them in some grow cubes inside of a small planter full of heavily watered dirt since I have to leave for 48 full hours and I dont want them to dry out. Updated pictures to follow...

9. Nice Job.... Subbed...:cool:

10. #30 WowZach, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    Here they all are Im not really sure how old they were when I got them I guessing week 5 or 6. The tall one on the left (Chem Dawg) the top leaf is at 27 inches I have a 2" bamboo pole holding down the top of that plant to keep it at about 25".

[​IMG]

Bottom cab open with the Veg CFL lights on with 2 new seedlings that just popped and are in cubes goin in there

[​IMG]

New Seedlings that popped in grow cubes in watered dirt, I hope its enough to keep them moist for a couple days while I leave for work This strain is called Chem Wreck its a cross between ChemDawg and TrainWreck. Got the seeds in some meds from a Dispensary in Seattle I called and voiced my displeasure but even the pot with seeds was killer so far 2 of the 3 have popped out of their little shell.Hoping the 3rd comes out.

[​IMG]

This is the larger of the two Lavender plants. The are growing very differently this one seems to be getting more long branches while the other is keeping everything real close together.

[​IMG]

This is a close up of the stem they have a beautiful color to them I am sure this is where the Lavender name came from.

[​IMG]

Smaller of the two Lavender plants, it seems just as healthy but still a couple inches shorter, I think this is around 21 inches. It was growing sideways I used a Bamboo stake to keep it straight to maximize cabinet space.

[​IMG]

Two different shots of the Headband It also seems to be staying short so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the Chem Dawg this thing has just blown up outwards, as soon as all the leaves catch up this is gonna be a big bushy plant

[​IMG]

Different angle

[​IMG]

Not a great shot but you can see how I bent the top down to keep it from getting too tall for my cabinet. I still have about a foot to work with if I move the light up but instead of chancing it I jsut started the bending now.

[​IMG]

11. #31 WowZach, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
    Been a while since an update I have 2 sets of pictures to put on here the first is after a feeding with nutrients.

Again I wasnt sure how old the starts were when I got them. The guy at the dispensary was so baked he could barely talk. These are I believe 2 weeks now into flowering in these pictures.

[​IMG]

Headband

[​IMG]

Up close of Headband, top of it some of the hairs turning red, Already pretty sticky.

[​IMG]

Chem Dawg looking pretty healthy

[​IMG]

one of the bud sites of the Chem Dawg

[​IMG]

Smaller of the two Lavender

[​IMG]

Top of smaller Lavender

[​IMG]

Larger of the two Lavender

[​IMG]

and a closeup of that one

[​IMG]

12. This post has inspired me to want to create my own grow cabinet. I've spent a couple days thinking about different options. Looks like it's working out well for you!

13. I wish I could get access to a dispensary easy. Or good genetics in general. Till then I shall hone my skill!

14. I had no idea what access to a good dispensary was until I moved just outside of Seattle. There are enough here they have to compete so most places the bud is top notch. The genetics honestly it seems most places around here the bud tenders dont know shit about the starts they sell or growing in general. Out of about a dozen different dispensaries I have visited in North Seattle only one so far have I found a person behind the counter who really cares about growing and genetics. Just yesterday I went to him to talk about that very subject. I was sad to learn he only sells clones that are ready to flower. So much more expensive, but I figure if I buy one it will be a mother and the start for many clones.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense or I am rambling, I just smoked a bit of hash

15. This is my first grow ever so I dont have anything to compare to, but it seems to be going smoothly. I am so excited to get home and hit the point of night the lights turn on so I can open the cab and check on the girls. It is such a rush to see how much growth has happened in just one day. They grow so fast! I havnt even finished my first grow and I am already thinking of what I can use to build another cabinet. I would say just go for it, make a list, and buy the stuff its a ton of fun. I wish I had done this years ago.

16. I so totally hear you. I'm on my first grow too, now that it's legal in Colorado. My first crop is autoflowers, so I don't have worry about light schedules as much, so checking on my plants and see how they've changed has been the first thing I do when getting home from work or wake-up, the last thing I do at night, and really I'll just watch them during the evening. I find it relaxing. Mine are early in the flower stage.

My wife and I looking at buying a house this year, so holding on building my own cabinet is more down to not taking on too many big projects at once. :) I don't want to have to move an unfinished project. But your photos and experience have given me lots of ideas. Thanks for posting your project!

17. So I am pretty bummed out. I found out my Headband turned Hermaphrodite. I seperated it from my others, now to figure out what to do with it. So far is budding like a mofo. gonna try to finish it off at my parents house. My mom yea thats right my MOM agreed to look after it so I can finish my other babies without excessive worry.

here are some pics of what I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sad face Hermies always break my heart a little. Lol

19. Good thing you caught it before it became a bigger issue.

20. I can't wait to finish my dresser cabinet when I finish moving yours is inspiring. Ill be working in setting up 3 of them once I finish moving :D