You're never as alive as you are when your car is sliding out of control

Discussion in 'General' started by InferiorWang, Jul 26, 2003.

1. It was scary as hell, but it was so much fun. I was driving way too fast down Central Pike, a two lane road that's 35 mph most of the way through and 45 at a couple places at 11:30 at night. I drive way too fast down it quite often. With cigar in my left hand and my right hand on the wheel, while I mused about how often I actually fly down that road driving with one hand because I have a cigar in the other. I think I was only going 60 or 65 which is slower an than usual.

I see a sharp left coming up with those black on yellow arrow signs letting me know exactly where the road turns. After the left is another pretty nice right with no signs to point me, but I've done it enough and continue at speed. All of the sudded my car is pointing too far right and sliding left and forward, tires screaming. Oh, shit! I'm pointing at a tree. I take my foot completely off the gas and try to steer left. The car swings around and points toward a ditch now sliding forward and to the right, tires still howling in the otherwise calm night. I steer night and lightly touch the brakes. Finally, the tires stop squealing and I have it under control, but I'm in the wrong lane and pretty close to a left turn and I can't see if anyone's coming. I get back on the gas and get in my lane and go back to puffing my cigar after I take a deep breath to calm myself. Thirty seconds later I'm grinning from ear to ear as I realize that my car was really out of control and I saved myself, my car, and my bank account from damage.

That's the first time I've actually had a car go wild on me. I've done plenty of e-brake slides. I've broken all 4 tires loose around corners plenty of times, but it's always controlled. I've had sever understeer under bad conditions a couple times and controlled it, but this is the first time I've had to do serious work to keep from going off the road and wrecking into something. Tomorrow I'm going to go see if I left any skid marks and if I did I'll get some pics for posterity.

2. I have lost control on ice, but was going at a safe speed for controling it. Up here in michigan, I have a few months to have some fun though. I have a pickup that happens to be 2wd. There have been many times 4wd would come handy, but i think it was good for me to learn control with 2wd first. A couple of my friends with 4wd say they rely on it all the time. Anyway, it's fun to just go to a large parking lots, and whip it around sliding on the ice.

3. Haven't had any serious situations as of yet. *Pauses to knock on wood* But have had many a fun times drifting and e brake sliding.... Thanks for sharing your story BTW, thought it was written out well.

4. That would be awesome. Driving is one of my favorite things in the world. Last week I was driving real fast down that same road while smoking a cigar, heading to a friend's house late at night. About half way there I realized that I was grinning like an idiot and it hit me, ever since I got kicked out of the house I'd been kinda depressed, but driving is one thing that really makes me happy. I went nearly 300 miles in 3 days, when I really had to go no further than 25, but I just felt like driving. It's a good thing I get great gas milage.

LMFAO! I'll definitely post the appropiate skid marks tomorrow, unless I get really motivated and head back out tonight (unlikely).

5. I went back and there were no marks :( All my glory is reduced to a memory. Oh well. I wish I could toke up.

6. Paducah, KY.

It was snowing and icy and I was on my way to St. Louis. Everyone was creeping along the interstate and it was coming down pretty good. I was in my MR2 at the time, hugging the road and I started passing a semi... I went into what seemed like a forever 360. I spun around so many times, I couldn't count and I ended up stuck in the grass and snow in the middle of the interstate. I was so lucky that I spun off to the left and not into the semi. It was fucked up though...I was kind of a little bit high and the trooper who finally stopped for my cold ass had his lights on and I was talking about how pretty the lights were in the snow. He never said anything about it, he just kind of laughed at me. My car was fine. I got towed out and went on to St. Louis.

I'm glad you're ok, man!!! :)

7. haha lol.... awwwwww poor wang