You're an atheist? You must be a devil worshiper!

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Cheehwawa, Mar 25, 2009.

1. I was just doing two of my favorite things... smokin some green and watching Wife Swap on TV. One family was a family of atheists (they turned out to be the nice, accepting, non-judging family) and the other were devout Christians. When the Christian mom traded places, she discovered that the atheist family were... well, they were atheists. She says to the camera "I was so scared, I thought y'all worship the devil or somethin!"

People like this piss me off... if you're an atheist, why would you believe in a devil?

Discuss.

2. lmao, i was just watching it
    wifeswaps a great show, big momma was psycho

3. Some believers live in a bubble, never having met an opposing view from what they've been culled into by choice or coercion. Religions do have this tendency to taint their critics in rather bad terms. Christianity for example teaches the doctrine that the devil is the one who speaks reason. Quite the defense-tactic for a religion that, like the other two abrahamic death-cults, is anything but reasonable. At least, in their more orthodox and/or literal interpretations.

4. People are stupid. I wish I could put it nicely, but there's always someone itching to call out atheists as immoral when it couldn't be further from the truth. If I remember correctly, atheists make up a small fraction of one percent of the US prison population, not to mention that the areas of the US that are most religious are also the dumbest.

If these divisive Christians want to claim that atheists are going to hell forever, so be it. But for them to claim that atheists are (any adjective here, good or bad), then they are just spreading ignorance like a disease. The facts and simple logic will never support their arguments. I hope we can get past religion at some point so that we can focus on more important matters.

5. #5 the roach, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
    It's wife swap, what did you expect?

6. The family was heavy into occult and macabre hobbies and art (ive seen the episode..i think they have dragon sculptures and they hunt ghosts, right?)

And she was from very conservative South person

7. I was raised in a Christian family and was indoctrinated into their lifestyle. Thank fucking God I started using my head and rejected all that shit. These people scare the shit out of me sometimes, the way they talk. I'm not saying I hate all of them, there are actually some Christians who I can talk to about religion, but god DAMN they're rare.

8. What a laugh. You can't bother reasoning with these people. The older they are, the harder it is to show them rational logic. They'd freak if they knew about Horus (the Jesus parallel--3,000 years before of Jesus)

9. i got shit like that from teachers at my school

2 class periods ago, in my religion class (im a senior at a catholic private school)

i was put on the spot for expressing my faith (my faith is a combination of nihilist and rastafarian values)

they asked me questions for 40 minutes
    these questions showed the ignorance of my classmates on a grand scale

i got questions like-

do u worship satan?
    is it true all rastafarians smoke weed?
    do u smoke weed? (to which i lied and said no)
    what do your parents think?

i hate school

10. No they wouldn't, Jesus wrote all those stories right after he buried the dinosaur bones...

11. If your a Christian why does everybody think that you have to go on a converting people quest?

12. Sarcasm. I love it.

13. This doesn't make the Christian lady that bad of a person. She was just misinformed about Atheism, the absence of a belief in a God or Divine spirit.

Big deal. It shouldn't piss you off. So what if someone has been misinformed. I'm sure the Atheist family kids had some misunderstandings about the practices of some religious people.

14. He got that quote from Patton Oswalt, the comedian.

Keep up man. I'm already sittin at the finish line goin poopoopeepee:V