Your Thoughts On the One, the Only, the Legendary F.D.R ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by qwerty man, Mar 16, 2012.

1. #21 garrison68, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    As hard as it is to believe, I guess that some people feel that he was a warmonger, and that he should have just let the Axis powers kill and/or enslave most of the world, all of it eventually, rather than do something about it.

2. From the OP:

In case you didn't know:
    - the gold reserve act confiscated (read: stole) gold from honest, working Americans.
    - FDR's economic policy (New Deal, etc.) kept the depression going until after he died.
    - FDR ordered the internment of over 100,000 Japanese Americans for no other reason than their parents were born in Japan. Of those interned over 60% were American citizens.
    - FDR threatened to "pack" the Supreme court with more justices favorable to him when they questioned the constitutionality of FDR's incredibly harmful economic policies.

Garrison, warmongerer is too soft of a word to use for FDR. A better term would be tyrant.

3. #23 garrison68, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012

Canada also had internment camps, and imprisoned over 20,000 of their Japanese - and most of them had it as bad, or often worse, than the ones interned in the U.S. This is hardly ever mentioned.
    Japanese Internment Camps in Canada

Considering this was a time when some of the the world powers were domintated by Hirohito, Hitler and Mussolini, and FDR is called a tyrant, then what were they?

Whatever his mistakes were, and I'm sure like any person there were many, we defeated the Axis - and that's all people cared about.

4. Thanks for the tidbit of info. Not sure how this relates to FDR and how he was a tyrant, but ok. Do you think because another country does something tyrannical, that makes what FDR did less tyrannical?

They were also tyrants.

5. Does it matter what they were? Stop the straw manning please.

Tyrant is a tyrant, even if there are other flavors of Tyrant around. Just because Hitler may have been worse, doesnt make FDR any less of one.

6. FDR was no less of a tyrant than Hitler? Under Hitler, Germany exterminated 11 million people. FDR interned 100,000 Japanese for under three years, which he was responsible for but was heavily pressured to do, and they were released - not killed, made slaves, or even deported. As I said, Canada did the same thing as the FDR administration, perhaps worse, and this hardly ever gets mentioned.

7. You turned this into

LOL. I said Hitler was worse, but I suppose that doesnt matter when your intent is to just twist my words around. There are different flavors and extremes of being a tyrant, but a tyrant is still a tyrant.

Tu Quoque logical fallacy. Does not excuse FDR.

8. I guess with out him, the US would be gone.