Your thoughts on juicing?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by qwerty man, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Recently I've been juicing a whole bunch of shit by blending then straining with a cheese cloth or strainer. I mix celery, spinach, carrot, ginger and cucumber...tastes worse than all hell, but I just champ it like it's a huge ass shot of smirnoff haha

It's making me feel pretty good, I always get a nice boost of energy after downing a cup, and my skin complexion is improving too.

Anyone else every try this?

2. Lmao I thought this was going to be a thread on steroids. I'm glad it's not. Juicing is a great idea, since liquids are so easily absorbed in the digestive tract. Bruce Lee was a big proponent of juicing.

3. ^so did i. haha.

Buy a juicer, itll make your fruit + veggie juice drinks so much better

4. Steriods = NO

Big Glass of Juice = YES

5. Your skin complexion might look nicer, but it's probably because of the carotene from the carrots.

Why not eat your veggies in a salad and drink your fruits in a blend? Seems more logical to me; or at least that's how I consume my fruits and veggies.

6. Haha exactly my thoughts too.

I don't 'juice' in either sense of the word. I eat lots of carrots though and sometimes brocolli on its own. I eat bananas/apples/oranges all the time too.

I imagine the skin complexion is better mainly due to the cucumbers. Or maybe it's the carotene, but I don't really notice my skin complexion so I have no idea.

7. I love juicing fruits and veggies! I absolutely hate vegetables and that solved my problems of not eating enough of it. Of course I have to eat other high fiber food since juicing removed most of it. If it taste too weird (eg, wheatgrass, mustard greens, beet greens etc) I tend to add some carrots, some apples and maybe even a couple of grapes to make it more palatable ^^

Speaking of carotene... You can get pretty orange if you drink too much carrot juice hahaha. I don't think there is adverse effects of it though, you will fade back to normal color when you eat less carrots :p

8. I just recently got interested in juicing after seeing this video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0nLdVJiIg]Leaf - YouTube[/ame]

Hoping I'll be able to do it once I have continuous harvests.

Otherwise, though - I just eat the stuff normally... I guess if you want a big shot of a bunch of stuff at once, but I like eating my food and not drinking it (although I have strawberry/banana smoothies quite often) :smoke:

9. man i thought this was going to be about steroids i was looking forward to seeing the inevitable debate about it.

but yea like the other guy said makes it easy to absorb but warn your girlfriend cuz your you-know-what is going to taste like SHIT unless you overdose on fruits to counteract all those veggies haha

10. i wanna go on a juice fast for a while but im having trouble on what vegetables and fruits that will be essential for me to intake.

any help would be great.

but for this topic, i have high hopes to do this.

11. #11 RustyCakePan, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
    I'm no pro on juice fast so don't take my word for it.

I think for juice fasting what I would usually get is a variety of different fruits and veggie every couple of days. I don't believe that is a combination would work as well as letting your body get different nutrients from various sources. It also gets boring to drink the same thing lol. It really depends on how long your fast is going to be. If it is a very short time like a day or 2 you might not need to worry that a short fast is going to cause much imbalance nutritionally.

Some of the variations I do are pretty much similar but lets say... instead of regular kale I get purple kale or dinosaur kale. Instead of red beets I get gold beets. it helps me to try new veggies that way too ^^

I would go for more veggies than fruit juice personally. Depending on the fruits you choose you might want to take note of how much sugar there is. While I LOVE grapes, pure grape juice I remember has more sugar than a soda so can't drink too much of it :(

Depends on what you want the fast to do for you you might want to check out the different cleansing vegetables. For instance beets are great liver cleanser but if you hadn't had it much you might feel sick from it. (start with 1/4 of a beet, I juiced the whole thing with greens but I had eaten borscht regularly and never had problems with beets) Also don't freak out if you get red poo and pee after drinking it, it is quite common. (check out beeturia if interested)

The staples I have in my fridge are:
    Carrots by the 25lb bag since I use a lot of it
    Apples to juice with the veggies if you are not used to drinking greens juice
    Cabbage is pretty good juice base and it keeps for a long time
    Kale is good for calcium and I had been trying to reduce my dairy intake
    Beets honestly it is because I like the taste, bonus that is it good for me :)
    Lettuce of some sort, it is red leaf lettuce today
    Celery, note that it is diuretic
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Spinach
    Other random veggies like collard greens, chard, bok choy, mustard greens, zucchini etc
    Trying to grow my own wheat grass now hahaha

Remember to clean your veggies real well before you juice to get rid of as much pesticides as possible =\
    Might be a good idea to get organic for things like celery, apples and peppers since they tend to be very chemical laden otherwise :(

WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods
    That page have pretty good articles on the health benefits of a lot of these fruits and veggies you might want to check it out. Do note that there are plenty of good stuff that did not make it to the list since they only list those that is easily available and affordable.

12. okay, thanks for the info.

i thought about it and i dont think i NEED to go on a fast, just need to change up my diet because since i now have a apartment at college ive been eating junk and not gettin the green my mom used cook for me :D

what do you think is essential if i was to juice every day? maybe as like a daily supplement instead of a meal.

just fyi, ive been putting on some waist weight, im sure its due to the amount and kind of calories ive been intaking and i just dont poop as much :p basically i want a juice recipe that will fulfill my daily needs.

thanks so much