your imput on my tent lighting?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Big_Z, Feb 15, 2010.

1. how'd all im in the process of setting up my first indoor grow. im wanting it to use as little power as possible to keep mom happy.

ill be growing in a tent 0.9M X 0.5M X 1.6M and was thinking about using something like these New Hydroponic NASA Red Blue LED Grow Super Light x 3 - eBay Lights, Hydroponics, Gardening, Home. (end time 16-Feb-10 02:04:33 AEDST)

im thinking about growing 6 autoflower plants im just wanting your imput on led lights.

how many i should run if i do use these panels?

i also have a 3ft t5 unit off my fish tank i will use as well would like to know wat glows i should use?

if anyone know of a better way to do my lighting please let me know just take into account i want to keep the power down as much as possible.

i appreciate all help!

2. I wouldnt use those lights. I wouldnt use LED lights in general. If you are worried about saving energy, get a T5 flourescent light. They do not use up much energy and they work a lot better then led lighting. IMO led lighting has not proved itself in growing plants, unless you want to spend big $$$ on the led lights that actually ork well to grow plants. Those lights that you found on ebay are shitty and I wouldnt buy them. Get a t5 light for the vegetative stage for your plants, then go with an HPS for flowering. If you want to grow inside, this is one of the best ways to do it.

During an indoor grow, yes, the power bill might go up. If you are concerned for keeping it down, be aware of lights you have, heaters or ac you run, etc etc. If you are good about shutting things off when you arent using them, you would be surprised in the difference. It doesnt really cost that much to run a t5 light 24/7 and say a 400w hps light 12/12, if you calculate the numbers.

3. The information I have read on LED, and sorry I can't link it but it has been linked here or in advanced within the last week, is that it is a good suplimental light source, to augement HIDs during different phases. I would just go with the above poster and recomend t5s or cfl to get the most lumen/watt ratio. Also, use the search function and check out a member named CFLweasel, he has an awesome thread breaking down a lot of light information, best practices, and a lot of misconceptions regarding HIDs, CFLs, and other fluros.

4. I would stay well away from LED'S unless its the new v.high powered £1000+ models,

I have a v.similer size tent to you and use a 400w HPS dual spectrum, Gives fat dense buds and heat isnt a problem with a 5" extraction fan and filter.
    If you can use CFL's to veg then switch to HPS for flower

5. HPS all the way no LED'S no fluros I run two 150 watt sun systems in a 4 ft by 2ft tent
    ladies love the hps no need for anything else of course you need a good fan but you'd need one anyway

i really dont know about all these people who say hps for veg isnt ideal they sure seem to fatten my ladies and grow em quicker then any fluros i've used or seen used

6. thanx for all the replys guys just wat i was after. with the hps does it have to b 400w or could i run a lower watt light for the flowering stage say a 150watt

also for veging how many t5 would be enough i already have 2
    thanx

7. Dont buy the LED hype...I fell for it in the beginning and then switched to cfl's and I can tell you that overpriced LED's do not grow reefer any better than cheap cfl's. But if you really wanna grow, get yourself some HPS action...I put a 600w HPS in my 2x4x7 tent and its rockin and rollin bro!!

150w hps is pretty small..you should get atleast 250w but even better would be the 400w

8. #8 Big_Z, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    ok say i go get a 250watt hps light and run 2x t5's will this be sufficent light im growing autoflower so i wouldnt need 400watt lights surely?

also i was thinking about buying one big tub the size of the tent floor and grow all plants in that is there a problem with this?

also should i stay away from buying items online have people ever been caught?

with a tent the size im wanting to go wat size exhaust fan would i need to run i was thinkin bout making my carbon filter.

if any1 has a tent the same size or similar to wat im lookin at could u post pic's or link so i can get an idea how i should set it up.

thanx gents

9. 400W is great for 1x1M square, I have a metre sqaure tray in my tent and it works well with 8-12 plants, anymore than 6 plants they gotta be small.

I'm using a Ruck 125A 5" extraction fan with filter, You only need a small filter but get a 5" because 4" fans are prety useless.

I use a 120mm PC fan for air intake ATM, Adjustable with an adpater from maplins for about a tenner, I run it at 7.5V with Dark thick black tights to stop all light leakage as the PC fan is sat in the bottom extraction/vent point in tent

Buying stuff online, well.... ummm, I've brought lights etc on my card to my door from Greens for years and had no problems. If I ever buy seeds they go to a mates house, Not my address.

10. I kinda went a bit large i have the same tent and i stuck a 600 watt hps in there and they love it. I run a s&p outtake and a duckt booster that blows through the hood and i have no heat issue. I would stay away from the leds and and do t5s or even CFLs

11. Thats whats up. You might as well go all out and get the biggest lights/fans as possible, because the outcome will be greater in the end. ;)

12. ok well ive decide to go with the 400watt just makes things easier any idea how much extra your power bills go up?

can i grow with the same globe all the time or will i need one globe for veg and another for flower. wat kelvan globe is best? and where online can i get them?

im going to go buy my light on friday.

13. Super-Grow Electricity Costs Calculator

Thank me later.

14. i run my 400 18/6 right now and with watching how much power im using (turning off lights and turning off my computer when not using, etc etc) my bill has barely gone up 10buck a month

15. i have another question would a 400watt hps be too much for a house hold fridge?
    a mate is goin to start growing in one and we are unsure on wat lighting to use