Your favorite soft drinks can damage your Mitochondrial DNA

Discussion in 'General' started by Ẅest Čoast, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Think twice about drinking your sodas and other soft drinks. Anything containing sodium benzoate is outta my fuckin fridge. this is why i drink natural juices and water mainly. And this goes for a lot of foods too. I noticed a lot of shit these days contain this sodium benzoate as a preservative...fuck all that.

http://www.eyeondna.com/2007/05/28/...in-c-in-soft-drinks-damage-mitochondrial-dna/

"In combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C, E300), sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate may form benzene<SUP class=reference id=_ref-5>[6]</SUP>, a known carcinogen. Heat, light and shelf life can affect the rate at which benzene is formed."

"The mitochondria consumes the oxygen to give you energy and if you damage it - as happens in a number if diseased states - then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA - Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but above all the whole process of ageing."

BENZENE?????? fuck that shit, i don't want shit like that in my body.

2. eh, the smog you breathe in is carcinogenic, too. and nearly everything is "known to the state of california to cause cancer".

not trying to discredit your statement, but even if you eat healthy, the air you breathe is most likely unhealthy, too. but, hey, the less crap you ingest the better

3. thats exactly what im trying to say/do.

4. i'm just playin devil's advocate, bringing another perspective

5. Man Kush, you stressin over some little shit. Youre gonne die anyways! You might as well enjoy it more :) On the real though, thats some dumb shit to be seriously worried about.

6. little shit? fool read about it before you state some shit like that...yea im gonna die anyways but do i wanna die of cancer or some other disease in my late 20's??? hell nah dawg...small shit like that is killing fools on the regular.

7. Its probably 2 or 3 out of a million that actually die from this. Theres people that have been drinking soft drinks most of their lives, hell maybe even their whole lives and shonuff AINT DEAD. Its some trivial little shit dude.

8. your missing the point...you don't die from it...benzoate is a link between cause of cancer and just making it easier for you to get other disease by damaging your DNA...how many people die of cancer? and how many of those cancer patients had an unknown cause of cancer?(meaning cancer caused by something other then smoking) im pretty sure way more then 2 or 3...this sodium benzoate just makes it easier for you to get ill.

9. I hardly drink soday anymore, I like cold water alot for some reason. Esp for a sesh. A nice cold tube with ice cubes and a cold glass of water to wash the chronic down. If i do drink a soda it has to be a root beer. Peace

10. I think the diabetes and obesity from the high fructose crn syrup is reason enough not to drink sodas, but these are good too. Beer and Wine, Water or Juice for me!

11. Juice has corn syrup in it too usually, and I'm pretty sure mitochondria has nothing to do with your DNA. Mitochondria are the organelles that do ATP, which is how they get energy. DNA is in the nucleous and it can not be "damaged" I think.

12. Ya ya, and white bread will kill you, mouthwash causes cancer, tap water gives you ulcers, blah blah blah, live your life and stop being such whining babies.

:hello:eric:hello:

13. guess what, ur gonna fuckin die sooner or later, why abstain from enjoyable beverages just because science says its bad for you, fuckin everything causes cancer, deal with it, cancer is a disease, people die from various diseases.. its life

14. lol wtf? you say that shit now fool but i bet the story changes when your on your death bed suffering like a fuckin animal bleeding in several of your organs and crying for pain pills...you fools are some tough mother fuckers for reals...like i said i would rather die catching a bullet to the noodle then suffer from any kind of cancer/disease ... enjoy your soda.

15. I'm a health freak, I definetely agree with you on this one fluff.

-JAH

16. chances are if i get cancers the first thing that comes to my mind isnt gonna be "oh no i shouldnt have drank pepsi!"

if its lung cancer i'm gonna be like "fuck, shouldnt have smoked cigarettes" but then i get mad fentanyl patches n shit

n if its any other cancer i'm not gonna linka nything to it, because you could never fuck with anything cancerous and still get cancer, you cant really try to avoid it, its either gonna happen or not

17. *Sips Mountain Dew*

I'll risk it

18. I'd rather enjoy my life, and to the 1 person that this has happened to, im sorry. The probability of someone dying because of this are so slim. Why even stress about it?

19. If I'm not drinking soda, what's going in my rum and coke?

but seriously, Kush don't worry about getting cancer, if it's gonna happen then their isn't a thing you can do to change it short of suicide. Been there done that and soda pop was far from the problem.

20. George Carlin said it best.
    " A lot of people worry that their drinking water isnt safe, because is contains things that cause cancer. Not me. I dont care if the water is safe or not, I drink it anyway. You know why? Because i'm an American, and I expect a little cancer in my water. I'm a loyal citizen and i'm not happy unless the government and industry have poisoned me a little every day"