Your choice source of Nitrogen, why?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Evilt, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Would like to know which nitrogen source is your favorite and why.

I used blood meal in my soil, however since I have read some negative things about my choice. Such as, it can burn the plants or worse yet can carry mad cow disease. I don't partake of beef or pork, so I don't know why I bought blood meal. :rolleyes:

The main thing that I read about it that was good, is that blood meal is the fasting releasing source of nitrogen in the soil.

Tell me if I am reading bs or is this true.

Also wanted to start some conversation, I enjoy reading what you all have to say!! :smoke:

Peace,
    ET

2. #2 Stankie, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Neem meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal.

Fish meal is a good source of N also.

Fish bone meal is a good alternative for bone meal, for the same bovine/porcine aversion.

3. EvilT,

I also use the above including fish meal. I have been re-thinking the amount of neem cake I use in my potting soil. An excerpt from Neemresource.com in the neem cake "uses" section piqued my interest.

I think I'll be planting established plants into a neem amended mix but I'll leave it out when planting freshly rooted clones and/or seedlings.

I've also found that top dressing with a small amount (2-3 tbsp's) of a fish meal/alfalfa meal blend and then covering up with a half inch or so of EWC (you could probably also use compost) gives a pretty quick N boost to plants that are starting to look a little hungry for N.

The bacteria in both the soil and the fresh EWC go to work quite quickly and I've had lime green plants back to a healthy green in 3-4 days.

cheers,

chunk

4. Wow, great info in just two post, that is why I like this board.

Thanks,
    ET

5. alfafa or kelp worm casing tea or compost tea

6. Alphalfa is my favorite. Fresh, dry and cubed, pelletized for horses, ground to powder or steel cut. Stinging nettle tea is also something that will 'green up' a plant in a couple of days...but you have to live somewhere where they grow like i do. High N bat guano is good, but i have decieded to stop using it, as the way in which it is collected is kind of deplorable.

7. Up until recently, my go to N source was fish.

However, I get the feeling that I'm going to be converted to Alfalfa here in the next few weeks. Plants have responded very positively to the teas they've been getting. As a dry ammendment, my Basil is loving it, and there'll be Cannabis roots in it in a week.

8. Compost made with lots and lots of leaf vegetables.

Lettuces, Kale, Cabbage, Greens, etc.

I actually seperate my leaf greans from all of the other food scraps. Make 2 hot piles and 1 cold. The "Leaf Compost" makes an awesome Nitro booster :)

I work in a restaurant so fortunately I have easy access to these resources.

9. Fermented alfalfa and wheat bran meal for my mix and teas.

Blood if I need a quick shot of N.

Wet

10. I add as much coffee grounds (from startbucks) to my compost pile as possible because it's a good source of nitrogen

Otherwise, I use a good organic plant food- grow formula

:)