Your choice of trimming scissors this year?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by ET said WHAT, Jul 4, 2013.

1. #1 ET said WHAT, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
    I'm currently in the market for a new pair of trimming scissors for this years harvest, and am curious as to see what everyone else is using. I've used both the Fiskars Micro-Tip and the EK Honey Bees, as well as the curved fiskar like scissors. I'm not a fan of the spring loaded type or the fact that they have straight handles as I can't get a good feel or proper grip on them. I LOVED the Honey Bees, but am unsure if I want to get a new pair of them, or try something new. Here's a couple of pairs I'm contemplating. If you've used any of them, please let me know how you like them!

EK Success Honey Bee Non-Stick Craft Scissors - I used these last year and LOVED them, but like I said, I'm on the fence about trying something new. The non-stick is almost non-existant when using them for trimming(as i imagine any advertised "non stick" scissors would be.) This isn't a bad thing, considering this happens to all the scissors when trimming. Plus, the black blade just makes them look awesome!

EK Success Cutter Bee Precision-Cut Scissors - Used them once, worked and felt similar to the Honey Bees. Don't think they're is a difference in design, just not non-stick(I THINK.)

Tonic Studios Tim Holtz 817 Kushgrip Non Stick Micro Serrated Snips - These I'm very interested in. The handle looks like it'd be very comfortable and the blade looks pointy and sharp enough for a nice cut, I'm just curious as to how the "micro serrated" blade will affect the ability to trim and affect the final product in terms of cleanliness. If ANYONE has used these, PLEASE post up and let us know how they worked!

Fiskars Titanium Scissors(NOT the spring loaded ones) - I haven't used these, but as far as I can tell, they look similar to the Honey Bees. They look like they have a shorter blade though, and am curious to how the finger holes feel and what size they are.

Fiskars Softtouch Micro-Tip 5" Spring Loaded Scissors - A lot of people use these and a lot of people love them. I'm not a fan of them. The flat handle is awkard for me to grip and the spring loaded return wears my hand out and cramps it up VERY quickly. This isn't to say they are bad, because like I said, I know a TON of people use them and swear by them. They come in Titanium as well.

GRO1 Curved Blade Trimming Scissors - Also have a pair of these. They are nice for getting a nice shape on the bud, but I suffer the same negative effects as the Fiskars spring loaded scissors. They were a little softer, but I don't know if that was because the spring was actually softer or if they had just been used a lot.

2. No one? Should I have this moved elsewhere? Or repost it somewhere else? 

3. #3 Julius Caesar, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
    I use the Fiskar Micro-Tip but I wish they made a pair slightly larger.

4. lol just pick one

5. I use fiskars but twist the spring making it wider and softer, it makes a huge difference

I think you can find some similar to the fiskars at ACE, though they are a little heavier and look to be sturdier. I believe the blade are slightly larger.

7. I could... but what's the harm in asking others about what they use/used, and giving others input on pairs that I have used?

8. Fiskers Microtips.    Love them....their small size lets me finely manicure my buds to top-shelf status.  

I might try this.

I want a wider handle for my hand. The blade size is perfect.

10. fiskars softgrip microtips have never let me down. ive had the same few pairs laying around for about 4 years now, and they still work like brand new. theyve kept their sharpness, the springs are intact, and the crappy looking plastic locks on all of them still work.

if you keep them clean, they will last a long time. a great $20.00 investment per pair.

I think I paid $11 on Amazon.

12. #12 pointswest, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
    Get ourself a real pair of quality bonsi pruners with stainless steel or high carbon steel blades and comfortable handles. A good set of professional pruners will give a lifetime of service. A good pair like shown in the link is only a few dollars more than those cheap Fiscars everyone uses. Fiscars suck, buy quality tools and you will never regret your purchase. The links below feature some nice pruners. A good pruner has high grade steel, not coatings on the blades.

https://www.inhomegardening.com/inhome-gardening-products/pruners/

http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/trimmers-pruners/

PW

13. #13 Julius Caesar, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
    I guess we are all idiots. They work for me as well as 95%+ of the reviews I have read.

14. #14 pointswest, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
    No one suggested they don't work. a cheap pair of grade school scissors will also work. The OP suggested they would like other choices. If you are comfortable with big box store Chinese pruners, stick with the Fiscars. If you want a quality tool for approximately the same money there are many better choices than plastic, spring loaded pruners.

PW

15. #15 PhilthyPhil, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
    I use fiscars micro tip with the spring, works fine always have stayed sharp. I have a titanium pair to.

16. Is the titanium worth the extra money? Is the spring/handle more durable or same design?

17. spring handles the same, he titanium just seems to cut with ease and hasnt dulled yet

18. If the blades are made from titanium there no where as good as fiskars regular scissor steel. Titanium is only good for strength when weight is an issue. Its edge retenion is absolute shit. The bonsai scissors maybe good because the Japanese have been inovators in stainless steel. Carbon would be ideal but it will rust and modern man is to lazy to oil his trim scissors daily.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. I need some new scissors but after reading this Im getting a head ake. Think I will just do the cheep thing if I dont like them I can toss them

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Ended up getting the fiskars micro touch non titanium. For $11 can't really complain, and should be fine for smaller yield growers.