Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

young smokers, minimum age?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Digit, Dec 16, 2001.

?

Should there be a minimum age to smoke cannabis?

1. Yes, and it should be stricktly impossed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not for the government to decide like that

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. there should be an examination (perhaps just a reading of DNA) to tell if someone is capable of hand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. This was a tough one for me cause I have legal custody of my three kids, 18, 15, and 9 years old. I know the two oldest ones smoke I'm more worried about them getting involved in alcohol abuse than pot. But you can say no all you want but when good ole Joe or Alli hands them a bowl it's all out the window. But they're decent kids and are'nt heavily involved in drugs, and we do have a good relationship were we do talk about problems. My fifteen year old daughter did drop the bomb a while ago when she brought up the birth control subject, and we're still discussing that one. Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess. Any other parents have to deal with this here?

2. sweet 16.

3. kids arent supposed to drink.. but they still do.. and get boots from people outside the liqour store..
    it doesnt matter if there is a age limit..

people should just be educated more..

but i suppose an age limit would be good, something like 18.. like when you are out of high school.
    but still.. that would just be for like buying it from clubs and shit..
    but you cant stop younger people from getting it.. its a small part of the weed economy here, but still important..

anyway
    laate

4. I haven't read all the posts cause I'm about to go to sleep, but I agree with you. I started smoking cigarettes when I was about 11, quit when I was 13. Started smoking weed when I was 13 but not like a day-to-day basis or anything. Like 2 days out of the week probably. 16 was when I started smoking everyday, easier access I guess. Met older people, you know the scenario. But yea, the drinking age should be 18. You can be 18 and fight for your country..but can't be 18 and enjoy a beer?

I dunno maybe it's just because I'm high but I think that's an important issue. I started drinking at around 17, I had drank once before that when I was 16. Drank some vodka and was sick for 2 days, so stopped. I'm 19 now and I have no problems

5. ...hmm...hm?...hmm... ..i started smoking at a youngish age... i experimented with otehr drugs but was always responsible... if i could go back and do it again i probably would have waited a few years longer... ..sure it could depend on the person.. but i would probably say 16... since most people start smoking pot under 18 anyway...

...that they should start at 16... thats probably when i would introduce my children to the sweet sweet herb... if they hadnt already started... i proabbly wouldnt be too pissed if they started yougner.... as long as they kept their grades up and didnt get into too much trouble ;)....

6. You know I will be turning 18 in 20 days exactly and I agree the legal age should be 18 even though I started at the age of 13, all you young burners out there may disagree and so did I when i was your age but you will think differently once you get a little older. I now realize that I basically threw my life away for ganja, and im only now getting back on track, and sure some 15 yo's are more mature than others but alot of you are not and they have a tendancy to ruin it for others. So yeah id say 18 should be the legal age just like alcahol. LoL

7. Was going to say something about age limit but lol..nevermind. (Hint: read rules) Not trying to be an ass, but yea

8. exactly it took me a while to realize that i didnt want to just be sitting on my ass smoking pot with a dead end job and no future and or living at home ;) ...well maybe not the living at home part ...:D....

..but ya it may make sense when your young but you will realize soon enough the mistakes your making... and then you only get one life... so dont mess it up! :).....

9. 18 years old. nothing younger. nothing older.

10. Its so true though when your 15 or 16 alot of things you do seem like the absolute right thing to do, then when you get a few years older and you look back, your like "what the fuck did I do"

11. I started smoking weed at the age of 11. After a hard week of school, I'd kick back on Friday nights and blaze the good ol' hydro. Also, all day Saturday I'd recline on my Lazy Boy chair and smoke all day and have been doing that for 7 years now. Every Friday and Saturday since I was 11!! Wow, I have smoked a shit load of bud than.

Even though I have been smoking so much, you must think that my brains are all blazed out? Nope, I have been on straight ‘A' Honor Roll since the first grade until my graduation, which landed me a scholarship to college.

For safety of the lungs what I have been doing for years is, I have had many bongs that I have made and purchased over many years and what I have been using is this “Universal Blunt Tip Piece” that I have created for bongs that fit all of my bongs. I roll a blunt with a corncob filter and add the blunt piece to the end and hook it up to my bong. But before that I load up the bong with crushed ice and cold tap water and than add the blunt filled with ‘White Widow' (my favorite) or ‘Blueberry' to the already existing bowl piece on the bong and blaze up like no other!! Great filtration and chilled smoke! My lungs are really clean and healthy too because I have took part in Marathons and took 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> spots.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

My parents knew that I smoke weed but never cared to tell me to stop because I always did great in school and performed well in sports, and they saw how I show great respect and responsibility towards smoking Ganja, which is laying back on the couch, watch cartoons, eat taco's and blaze!! HaHa

12. I blame the school system for being regimented and not suitable for learning. Rather than blaming pot for causing people not to do well in it.

13. There should definitely be a set age limit, same as alcohol. And same penalties. Just let it follow in alcohols footsteps and end this modern day prohibition already.

14. wow this is an OLD thread. But I think the bare minimum age if it were legal and the gov. controlled the age limit should be set at 18. But me personally, I think the bare minimum for a kid to try the sweet sweet herb, is 13. But thats just me.

15. you can tell when someone started smoking by their maturity level. if someone started smoking when they were 10 they're not gonna be fully matured/developed. my op.

16. I'm 18 now I started when I was 15. It was a huge group of friends that ranged from 15 to 19 and thats how I got started it was a bunch of mature people which turned me out to be a mature smoker in the long run...:)

But I think 3 years later I smoke way to much...

17. To purpose of 21 as a drinking age is for exactly this, colleges.
    If every freshman could get booze they would not only lose all their money when upperclass men forced them to buy them liquor but they'd also have a greater risk for developing alcoholism. 21 prevents drinking alone for those without experience enough to know how to deal with drinking. It sucks but it is surprisingly logical.

But to the point... children under 16 would not be capable of handling cannabis effectively much less responsibly. I started at 15 and compared to now I was a desperate kid and never got as high as I can now. It also had an impact on my focus and decision making process, I think.

18. I started at 14. Early into 14.

Maybe I was ALMOST 14... I don't really remember.

There isnt an AGE where it should be allowed. There should be a maturity level.

I've met some 25 year olds who're more immature than most 12 year olds.

19. i know exactly what ur saying about 21 being the drinking age, but it isnt effective in college at all. First off, upperclassmen wouldn't be able to force any freshmen to buy them alcohol. Im a freshmen at college and if someone did that to me id kick their ass, and then report them to the police. Second, its way to easy for anyone in college to get booze. I've purchased it a few times without an ID (and i look very young for a 19 year old), and when i don't get sold, i can call my friend with a fake, anyone whos over 21 that i know, or call my 21+ brother or cousins. The drinking age (at college) has absolutely no effect on me drinking at all. Fortunately i dont drink often, but i could whenever i want. I know the bars that would serve me as well. The drinking age is somewhat effective for highschoolers, but not at all for college kids.

As far as weed, 18 would be a good age, just like cigarettes... it wouldnt prevent younger kids from getting weed to much, but it would at least instill the thought that smoking is bad for anyone uner 18...

I didnt start smokin weed until i was a junior in highschool (17 years old) and i think that was the perfect age to start. I was mature enough to handle it (whereas ive been with my 14 y/o cousin who smokes, and hes a bit to immature to handle it) and i dont think its effected me negatively. I was able to develop every aspect of my life without weed, so when i started smoking, my daily routines/rituals were already in place, and not much affected by weed (in no way am i flaming anyone who started early, im just assessing my situation). Basically what im saying is, i was already a good student with good study habits, i was already an established being, so when i started smoking, it wasn't enough to effect my life negatively at all... if that makes sense

20. i agree, it should be based on maturity level, but there really isnt a way to gauge that... i think in general most people aren't mature or developed enough until their 18. A lot of people can handle it at a younger age, i probably could have, but i think certain people are taking a bit of a risk. If the law were behind it, id say the age would be 18.