Young Pot Smokers More Likely To Try Hallucinogens

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Hallucinogenic drugs at a young age aren't the best thing but it's not the worst thing either.

2. I guess I went about it backwards. I did meth and acid before I tried hash then pot.

3. Dreaded1 is right, in fact as far as i remember a hallucinogen is any drug that affectes your perception in ANY of your senses, contrary to popular belief that it is just visuals!

4. I tried salvia after a lot of research and it turned out to be a positive experience. That's all the hallucinogens i've done, but im not dead so that's cool.

5. OMG guys! did you know if you eat fish, you're more likely to eat sushi?!!!!!!

sure this study shows a very strong correlation..and hey it could be accurate, but does that make the study vailid? nope. You can research 2 arbitrary things and come up with a strong correlation.

Statistics is what mathematicians like to call the art of lying with numbers. Everywhere else, 2+2 is 4..in statistics 2+2 could be 4, or it could actually be 7 depending on where the numbers are from, what kind of bias' there are, and what you are even looking at in the first place

most used forms of bias are selection bias, and survey bias..where they twist questions around to get the answers theyre looking for..so statistics on surveys I try not to take them all with a grain of salt

6. This whole thing about marijuana being a "gateway drug" to teens is true as of now but that's only because you need to buy it from faggot ass drug dealers that will offer other drugs which make them more available if people are ever curious, however if the government would stop being retarded and legalize pot then it would not be a gateway drug, for you would buy it online here, so the argument against the legalization against marijuana becuase it is a gateway ddrug and leads people down a slippery slope is total bullshit. Fuck my life :mad:

7. 1991 to 1994 National Household Surveys on Drug Abuse (NHSDA)

i wouldn't trust a source that's over 10 years old. times change fast

8. Great first post man!!! Pity I can't paste it round the net where parents and nonsmokers
    could see it and see from our perspective just how futile and destructive the prohibition is!

Welcome to the City!! +rep. :hello:

9. dude that is too true ive never looked at it this way before.

10. wow..I really never thought of it that way...very good point man

11. i'd actually have to disagree that cannabis is a gateway drug because my first "drug" if you wanna call it that was marijuana and ive done ecstasy, cocaine, heroin (which i all regret and i've been strictly weed for 2 years) but i dont think smoking marijuana had any influence in my decision to try hard drugs.

12. Well you first tried marijuana, and after you buy marijuana you know a drug dealer/ dealers, so when you got the idea to try harder things, the harder hallucinogens were more available to you, because you've already had access to a dealer, so no it was :smoking:

13. well to an extent its true

im not bieng biased for anti-weed or pro-weed

i base my current opinion on what i think

i think pot smokers are more likely to try other hallucinogenic SOFT drugs

but nothing like crack heroin or whatever the media brings it out to be

14. well, duh a kid who doesnt smoke the reefer probably wont try cid,shrooms,e

15. Ya legalazation would stop the Gateway issue of it, BUT I would highly recommend saving alot of seeds and continuosly growing during this period. After 2 years max all the prohibisionist types will band together because some asshole bought thier kid a pack of joints at the 7/11. Then weed will become illegal again and no one will be able to find weed except for a very few growers that saw it coming instead of buying the seedless shake at the store.

16. #56 floating_by, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
    I don't know about anyone else, but the first drug I probably had was caffeine (in soda.) After that, cigarettes. After that, alcohol. So those must be "gateway" drugs too, no?? ;)
    People experiment. It's in our nature. Prohibition goes against our very beings. Its not natural. Its also not fair to make people who just wanna smoke cannabis get thrown in the mix with all the other black markets. As long as there are addictive, mind-altering substances such as alcohol and tobacco, the "gateway" theory is not valid. We have to hold ALL substances to the same standards.

17. Like one or two others here, the only reason I happened on pot first was, I couldn't GET any acid. I was just as curious though. I went into it this way- pot, then mescaline (VERY religio-spiritual experience!) then acid, maybe six months after the mesc which was two months after the weed). And you know what? I liked all three immensely! No bad trips til maybe a year into it when I got sold a dose of synth-mesc cut with strychnine- Less a "bad trip" than an acute case of Poisoning! Beyond that, no other bummers I recall. Nobody "pushed" the acid on me, bub, matter of fact I ran to it!
    Back in those days though there was something of a naieve assumption (for my crowd, at least!) that the entire Psychology Community was pro-acid and pro-psychedelics therapy (well, you would have had that impression too, if you grew up in the SF bay area in 1967-68!) Certainly the people who had written the journals about it seemed to have great chachet and were indeed taken seriously about it, except for Leary. Reality came in large doses however of lawman fear and felony penalties. These studies are always biased to prove the point of whoever is funding them, so I take them all with a pinch of salt.:wave:

18. if weed had an age limit and was sold in stores, we would never encounter these hallucinogens, the main reason people want to try them is because their weed dealer isnt only dealing weed...cusiosity kills the cat

19. I don't actually know any dealers who sell hard drugs. They either stick exclusively to jane or dabble in shrooms or acid on the side.

I think the gateway theory is total bullshit. The number of hard drug users who started out using mj is higher than for the rest of the population but big surprise there- people who are likely to smoke meth or crack probably won't have reservations about softer drugs. The better measure is the number of mj smokers who do hard drugs and that's pretty much the same as for the larger population.

20. because marijuana is classified as a drug unfortunatly you need to go to the drug scene to get it so of course they have other drugs in the drug scene youre gonna see or be offered.
    like going to a grocery store and expecting to see only cheese, then being like 'wtf' when ur offered a free sample of ham or some shit.