Young plants being nute burned, but I havent started feeding?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Suppa_K, Sep 28, 2010.

1. #1 Suppa_K, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
    I have 4 LSD and 4 Super Lemon Haze, about last week I noticed one of them was burning at its two first true leaves, its only gotten worse and now the rest of the pack are following and displaying nute burn on their leaves.

My problem is I have no started feeding them, AND I am using Happy Frog FF, which I heard was better for seedlings then FFOF. Its not that bad but I fear it could get worst, I dont know what to do since I have not even started feeding them.

Will they grow out of this in a week? Or should I transplant now into their 5 gals?

I also thought I may have accidentally watered them with some nute laced water for another more mature plant I have but the one I was referring to was showing signs of this before I watered 2 days ago, and there were no signs of this damage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i don't think it is nute burn most likely your ph is wrong.what is your ph?

3. Not quite sure if I tested their pH, I dont remember doing it but I think I may have tested one like a week ago I think it was 6.5

Besides the Fox Farm line is suppose to be pH adjusted from the start. I just topped them all too I really hope they dont get worse.

4. I'd also like to know, my mate has a few that look just like that and we're not sure what the problem is. Haven't tested pH either, waiting till pay day. I'll let you know if I find out anything, OP.

5. I'd go ahead and test again. Looks like PH issues to me.

Yup. Sure is supposed to be. What's your water at?

6. I last remember water being around like 6.8-7.0.

The one thing I dont know, is how to adjustment ratio, how much to raise a point or two? How exactly does it work.

7. Bump as to weather I should transplant or not, or if that would help..?

8. Whats the runoff PH?
    I use a 50/50 mix of OC and HF and it came out SUPER hot at first, I was getting runoff at like 5 at first.

You may want to set some aside and rinse it out and then transplant if your runoff is too high.

9. I should have asked the question after I watered them, I didnt test any runoff the second time I guess I will have to tomorrow night when I water again, although I did test it a couple weeks ago and it was 6.5 im pretty sure so I dont know what could have done this, other then my water but I let it sit out for 12-24 before using.

10. Do you have them in FFOF?

That soil can be really hot for seedings.

Wet

11. I have heard Ocean Forest can be, but this is Happy Frog, I heard either that or Light Warrior are OK for seedlings, but apparently not.

12. I wouldnt be too worried.

13. They are one in the same. Nute burn is caused by high PH.

I have come to the conclusion that FF soils are the same as MG soils for seedlings.
    Both are too hot and need to be flushed before use.

Freak
    :smoke:

14. Thanks wish I knew that before, I have never had any other problems before with young plants and FF.

Now should I try to flush them in their small party cups or transplant to 5 gal's and do some flushing after a couple days? Most of the new growth seems unnafffected but I dont think it has stopped quite completely.

15. I will state - unequivocably, that FF soils are the best, bar none.
    But, its kinda hit and miss. I find that some strains of weed take it well
    and others show burn, such as u have there.

Doesnt mean its a weak strain at all, just the way it is i guess. I hate having to say that lol.

I would get them outta the cups (I'll bet they are bulging at the seams with roots), and yes, directly in to their permanent homes. Some will say not to put them in their final home yet, but I do ;).

If its the same Happy Frog, maybe flush the soil just once and then go with it.
    The plants will just have to adjust. Just sit back and watch.

They will explode with growth !!!

Freak

16. Nah I have FFOF for the 5 gals, but thats suppose to be stronger so that doesnt make me feel any easier but as you said it could just be the strains and ill have to let them grow out of it because the pH isnt that wack on them.

Yeah I normally do transplant around 2-3 weeks(running on end of 3rd almost), but theres one or two that are very runty still but none the less I know what I am doing today

17. I recommend that u get the soil in the 5 gals,
    flush em thru, maybe twice and plant.

Then just sit back and watch em.

Do u have a decent Ph meter ???

Freak

18. Yes, Hannah pH pen, and should I wait till the soil is dry again to transplant because I was planning on doing that tomorrow morning, I dont know if I have the patience to flush 8 5 gals in my tub.. I mean I honestly think the soil is just hot and maybe some fresh stuff will be better, ALSO I got some distilled water from the store, tests at 7.3, so I can use this in the mean time until they get a little bigger.

I am just hoping all will pull through, its starting to catch up on one plant completely, I think the transplant will do the trick.

19. I think the transplant will help immensely. Theyll pull thru.

Just make sure the soil is moist enough to easily keep the rootball soil (the "Rhizosphere") intact.

That rootball is what its all about man. Seriously.

Freak

20. Go mix some EWC + a little pearlite into your transplant mix. It sounds like time and a little flushing would do those plants well. I wouldn't worry about it at all