Young plant, what can be done?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowinItFrench, Sep 9, 2011.

1. So, I have a very young strawberry d-lite plant that is about a week old, and it is by far the TOUGHEST genetics I've had so far. It stretched a lot in the beginning because I was giving it natural sunlight, but it is now inside and is being fed artificial lights. Furthermore, my question is, what can be done to it, as far as low stress training, topping, etc goes? Pictures to help get a better understanding of the plant are provided!

Attached Files:

2. #2 rdb, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
    I wouldn't top or LST it until you see the third nodes pop up to be honest.

EDIT: How much height have you got to work with? If you're only vegging to a foot or 18" then wait for third nodes otherwise maybe leave it until you have 5 or 6

3. [quote name='"rdb"']I wouldn't top or LST it until you see the third set of nodes pop up to be honest.[/quote]

So I should just let it grow?

4. Anyone else have any input? I transplanted the other day and pulled a few roots by accident, but life goes on, it just needed a bigger container badly, these genetics are pretty interesting, as the plant itself is somewhat small meanwhile the roots are almost out growing a 1gal. Container. Mind blowing, but you get what you pay for, and these weren't cheap. It's a shame the critical freebie wasn't so lucky, even bigger shame that attitude doesn't replace seeds that don't germinate. Oh well! I just want to know how I can maximize my yield, without spending any money. Basically what I'm doing is taking things from around the house and putting them to better use! Anyways, and help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Also, it made a snap recovery from the transplant, almost no stress/shock at all, I suppose that is the diesel part of the strain prevailing, as they are known to be very resilient to stress and nutrients.

6. i top very early.... probably earlier than most. as soon as they enter veg i top. that way it will always have those 2 tops. then as they grow, every day just lightly curl those 2 outward... until one day you can tie them down and pull them further daily creating mcdonald's arches. that is all the topping and training i have done.

7. [quote name='"thatguythat"']i top very early.... probably earlier than most. as soon as they enter veg i top. that way it will always have those 2 tops. then as they grow, every day just lightly curl those 2 outward... until one day you can tie them down and pull them further daily creating mcdonald's arches. that is all the topping and training i have done.[/quote]

Hmm.. So I could top right now? Also, how far down do I have to cut it to top? I really need a descriptive picture because I messed up on my last plant..

8. you don't touch those big four leaves.... you just pinch off the little stuff on top. i'll see if i can find a pic on the internet.. or a sticky

9. [quote name='"thatguythat"']you don't touch those big four leaves.... you just pinch off the little stuff on top. i'll see if i can find a pic on the internet.. or a sticky[/quote]

Okay thanks man, cause I think I cut to close to the stem last time.

10. you shouldn't be anywhere near the stem... just pinch that top little bit of leaves... that is where a new node is going to grow out soon. if you pinch the off, 2 will grow. then if you do the same to those two, (about 2 weeks from now) you will have 4... or you could just tie down the 2.. just don't touch those big leaves. i have done it tons of times, its just not easy to explain. if i didn't break my camera i could take a pic and show you... good luck.

11. I pinch? Will there be any indication of how much pinching is enough?

12. I wouldnt top it if i were you, not until the 4th or 5th node of growth, you wantthe plant toget a little bigger before you start stressin her out too much imo.

Sounds like you need to read more on the subject and then decide what you think is best...
    Might I suggest the search function?

13. thats why i top so early. the plant doesn't have enough time to depend of the little piece that is coming off. it will have 2 tops for its entire life. it is definitely a preference. i agree that you should certainly study before you decide.

14. Alright thanks for the help I just don't know how to go about topping it, because of the amount of methods that are used.

15. Some will say snip it, others pinch it.
    You should look into low stress training, you dont slow the plants growth from clippin it and its pretty simple...

16. [quote name='"MayorMcStoned"']Some will say snip it, others pinch it.
    You should look into low stress training, you dont slow the plants growth from clippin it and its pretty simple...[/quote]

Well I understand that it doesn't slow anything down but I don't want to cut too high or too low.

17. Sorry, my wording came out all wrng on that post... I must have been under the influence of marijuana or something... :eek:

When you top a plant by clipping it, youll slow its rate of growth for a few days because its recovering from the stress of losing its top.
    When you low stress train, it stimulates the growth of lower nodes without harming the plant at all.

my advice is to lst, im kind of against cutting on your plants, but if youre gonna do it, top it right above the two nodes you want to speed up growth. Also, leave a little bit of the main stem on, so you have some room for error...

18. [quote name='"MayorMcStoned"']

Sorry, my wording came out all wrng on that post... I must have been under the influence of marijuana or something... :eek:

When you top a plant by clipping it, youll slow its rate of growth for a few days because its recovering from the stress of losing its top.
    When you low stress train, it stimulates the growth of lower nodes without harming the plant at all.

my advice is to lst, im kind of against cutting on your plants, but if youre gonna do it, top it right above the two nodes you want to speed up growth. Also, leave a little bit of the main stem on, so you have some room for error...[/quote]

I lst'd it, but I don't know if what I'm doing with cause any positive effects? Here's some pictures!

Attached Files:

19. No, what you did wasnt really helpful to the plant or its growth... What you want to do,is make sure the uppermost node is below the other nodes.
    This makes the plant produce more growth hormone in the other nodes so you get more branches...

Ill try and find a good pic from one of my previous grows to help ya out...