You to should use azomite!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bennyweed, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hmmm, been awhile...

Not sure what you're on about, but geology was my MAJOR in college. I've also spent considerable time studying the nature of soil chemistry from sources like agricultural universities, and books written on the subject by professionals in the field. I don't repeat "stat's" or "word of mouth"...

While it is true that soluble (ionic) forms of calcium and magnesium can and do replace hydrogen adsorbed to the soil colloid and affect the pH of the soil's CEC, it does nothing to the pH of the soil solution, which is where soluble hydrogen is generated in the first place, and where true soil pH is measured. The soil solution is where soluble hydrogen (or lack thereof) has the most effect on nutrient adsorption by plant roots, and why "liming" agents are tilled (or mixed) into the soil, rather than being applied as a top dressing...

Calcium alone does not raise soil ph...

Soil acidification is reversed by adding a liming material. Liming materials are oxides, hydroxides, carbonates, and silicates of Ca and/or Mg. The anion in liming materials (chemically speaking, a “base”) reacts with soil acidity (H) to neutralize it (Figure 3).The most common liming material, “aglime,” supplies carbonate as the base.

Calcium alone does not increase soil pH. For example, gypsum (calcium sulfate) and other additives contain Ca but do not contain a basic anion (carbonate, hydroxide, oxide, or silicate). Therefore, they do not neutralize soil acidity.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. #43 waktoo, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
    What's more, another look see at the Azomite CoA shows that it is clearly NOT a source for "liming" compounds that would effectively raise pH in the soil solution. Knowing how to determine elemental weight from compound composition %'s goes a long way here...

Having said all that, it should be easy for anyone to determine (by looking at the CoA and utilizing a bit of grade school math) that Azomite should be used SOLELY as a soil amendment for providing secondary and trace elements. It is absolutely ineffective as an amendment for buffering soil pH...

If available, use kelp meal to add secondary/micro nutrients to your soil. It brings so many beneficial plant based phytochemicals to the game that rocks just cannot provide, like growth hormones and enzymes...

• Like Like x 2
  3. See above ^^^^^^...

• Like Like x 1
  4. #45 goodgrace87, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    I had it in my soil when I first amendment my soil however I never added domolite light to it after speaking to some veterans in regards to organic they let me know that is does not need to be in my garden until it shows a true magnesium deficiency which is it is not because the potential cause for a lockout is much greater since it has a higher level of magnesium and calcium than azomite. It's all dependent on personal preference and what's your soil needs at the moment but I believe that a good foundation definitely does include biochar and azomite and kelp...

Purple Auto Grow Shared Bed Organic
    No till 15 gallon pot auto grow
    24x24x36 auto grow tent
    6 autoflowering and 3 regular seed

5. I believe azomite is a mineral like dolimate lime and yes this man is correct it is good stuff- sometimes you just have to have a few "trash/experimental" plants so you can try out stuff like this. I never recommended adding some new "magic powder" to your grow if all is well but hey it's up to "us/the growers" to experiment and then share our knowledge thus supplying the world with better quality cannabis so we just phase out shwag and dirt weed.

6. Different then Azomite... But yes it is good good. Not over dosed like most products so no need to worry about over feeding either. The lime balances ph more and helps buffer soil

7. Different then Azomite... But yes it is good good. Not over dosed like most products so no need to worry about over feeding either. The lime balances ph more and helps buffer soil
    It's not new magic powder either. It's been around forever. The mmj has just been ignorant to it.

8. To all the haters out there- I'm getting some azomite bc it is a great source of phosphorous and your plant loves that stuff during wks 3-6/7 of flower- the plant needs P more then K to add weight on those flowers so I say THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not only is not new---- it's been on the earth for billions of years! When I said "magic powder" I just ,want be careful with any new mineral/nutrient etc you give your plant. Always Always Always do your own research first bc there is no excuse not to just google whatever it is your going to use - if someone says "why should I use this or that?" It's nice to have scientific data to support your reasoning... and you have plenty of that my friend...hell if your plants are healthy and your smoke is good- it's doing something right- keep on doing your thing

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh yeah buddy that's correct. I like your talking. Ty for your info!

11. And like you said it's been around forever but that MMJ world has been completely ignorant to it. it's funny but also embarrassing for the organic movement.

12. No man-THANK U- check me out - I'm relatively new here but racking up trophies and only following serious people that have helped me.

13. Cool. I'm new here today to As far as signing up but I've been reading and researching off of here for a long time for cross-referencing I just never joined because there's too many stuck up girls on these forums that down talk to you instead of helping

• Like Like x 1
  14. My goal is 100% organic "no till" living soil with live worms and lady bugs and cover crop all around - think the Redwood forest floor.... I just started experimenting with cover crop around my red hot xhilli pepper plant- I have it in a large rectangular container with the plant is begged a month or more in grow rm. it's outside now and cover crop is all around the perimeter... I'm hoping it helps the plant/ I have another growingbthe same way but with no cover crop- So I have a control group and the experimental group- in a month we will see just what if any effect positive or negative it has on the growth of the plant and the yield of peppers. You gotta get out there and try stuff other then "well it's nutrients with a cool label so ima just use that and send $$$ for naturally occurring elements" there is only one N- one -P and one -K on the periodic table of elements so you really can get by on the cheap with some items. I know people been growing and making hash for a few hundred years and they didn't have the internet or hydro store to go buy nutrients at yet somehow they made it through... same people who relied on whatever they grew to make it through the winter. Farming was literally a matter of LIFE & DEATH! People need to think long and hard about that before they think they are "holier than thou" and talk shit on people just trying to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  15. IMO azomite is completely unnecessary and is in fact a detriment to your soil. The Cadmium alone is enough to turn me off but 12% aluminum..Why?..Do plants need 70 trace minerals. no. Kelp and fish have all the micros a plant needs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #58 Allido420, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    The aluminum is bound to silica. Silica can take other minerals away. I've found if I use too much Azomite I need to water once with Epsom salt dilution to replenish those two nutrients. Other than that amazing things from it

Also most things in Azomite are locked up to silica. When the soil and plant communicate via chemical fungi etc messages the soil will "break down" unlock the once bound up mineral making it more readily available for microflora and plant feeding the soil and it's organisms while remaining bound up in excess amounts for later. A lot of minerals will not break down and remain bound up after watering leaving the soil eventually through the bottom of the pot

17. At what pH does the aluminum and silica break apart? Fairly sure humic acid would be strong enough.
    To each their own on this, as most of the organic industry use this product, I am not one of them as I just don't see the point. Aluminum is a neurotoxin and is found in way too many products that are sold.
    Some say it may be the underlying issue involving the massive increase in dementia the past few decades.
    Either way though, I am doubtful of any increase in quality when using azomite and it just seems like a waste of money to me.