You know why I don't want pot legalized?

Discussion in 'General' started by MariaJuana92, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Because like with anything that you can profit from, people get greedy.
    And before you know it, you can't even discuss other pharmaceuticals or anything.

I think eventually we'd have something very similar to the tobacco industry. A bunch of smug, rich bastards, controlling the plant.

You probably wouldn't even be able to have your own, eventually. The rights would be all bought out, and BAM you get your weed taxed by the government. The weed you can't even grow. Or buy from your buddy who you've known since middle school.

2. Legalizing anything creates a tax on that item. Therefore no, you'd not be able to buy from a friend who grows just like you can't buy moonshine. Its to ensure regulation and of course to give the government its cut. I'd much rather give the government an extra 10 percent than go to jail and pay a fine for possession.

Also there aren't any "rights" to be bought with a plant, you can patent certain cannabinoids that you isolate but not the entire plant. With amendment 64 citizens have the right to grow their own plants so it literally can't be run entirely by corporations, you can just grow your own.

I don't understand what you were saying about pharmaceutical companies.

3. A lot of the push for marijuana is for medicinal purposes. A lot of people out there want to profit hugely off of pot. And tobacco was just a plant. That nobody can grow and you can only get from big tobacco companies that poison you in ways tobacco never originally would. :/ I don't see how it could NOT happen, eventually.

I am all for full decriminalization and even legalizing recreational use. But I fear for what will come if weed is legalized. Eventually, I think larger and larger grow ops that are more cost efficient and productive will offer weed at better prices than the black market. Or even the smaller market. And they'll monopolize the shit out of it.

4. Something so beautifull should never ever be taxed. But I still want it to be outright legal. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

5. #5 420neverforget, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Yes, why would I want to be able to go to the store and get 20 Joints for $5 and not buy it from the fucking cartels.

6. Did you know that it's perfectly legal to grown your own tobacco without adding all those wonderful little chemicals our friendly tobacco companies add in for us?

Or that you can brew your own beer or ferment your own wine?

Even if you could not technically grow your own, if cannabis were legal, who would bother to stop you, especially if the grow were on a small scale?

Though strong spirits are readily available almost everywhere, there are still a few who distill their own whiskey and rum and the like; and relatively few do so for profit.

I don't need big corporations for anything. I can do it myself, and at fairly high quality.

7. Yes, thank God it's still illegal. Because right now all those black market dealers aren't charging hundreds of dollars an ounce for something that costs me 30-40 dollars to grow myself.

Let's keep it in the hands of those altruistic, heart of gold drug dealers. :smoking:

8. Marijuana is already controlled by the biggest, fattest, greediest bastard of them all. Our government.

9. The feds should tax dandelions. Every dandelion on your property costs $.009. They would make bank! But seriously, fuck those greedy pigs on capital hill.

10. ^exactly, its perfectly legal to grow tobacco. People just don't. And while I agree the market will be saturated with commercial growers, there will still be opportunities for the common-folk. The biggest market that large corporations probably wont go after is the organics. Just like in commercial farms, the majority use chemicals to increase the yield. So yes, a large portion will go to greedy assholes but its still better than dealing with the black market and prison system.

11. My sides are in orbit!

I could make a 500% profit off weed right now if I were so inclined. Regardless of its legal status someones going to be making major profit. I'd rather it be the feds if that means people wont be punished for using it.

12. I never get weed from cartels. there's enough growers around here.

13. so how would anything change

14. That's awesome; support US homegrown. But, as it stands right now, if your friendly neighborhood grower gets caught, he's going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

15. Which flavor? Peanut Butter or Chocolate?

I mean you want a cookie or what?

Where's that facepalm gif...

Cheaper prices
    Don't go to jail
    Money goes to taxes for education/rehabilitation instead of cartels killing innocent civilians

16. My goodness

Please tax me for marijuana! If a couple of dollars in taxes mean I can get a $50 ounce, then tax me like a motherfucker.

And would I really be sad that a childhood friend is no longer a drug dealer? If the choice is between going into a brick and mortar establishment and purchasing marijuana or my childhood friend sticking his neck out, what do you think I'm going to choose? "Oh, hey bro, real sorry you're not a drug dealer anymore. You had a real future there..."

17. actually, no. that's not what happens here.
    i even knew a guy that got busted with over 5 pounds, and only spent a few nights in county jail, before being released and put on probation, probation where he's NEVER had to piss test
    yeah he lost his weed, sad day
    and his apartment
    and the government still sucks

but laws are getting more and more laxed
    homegrowers could put marijuana business out of the cartels, and they'd just keep pushing other unmentionables instead. or they'd go on a crazy psycho rampage and burn every grow op down. i think that's less likely, though.

18. #18 qwertyasdf, Nov 30, 2012

/thread :smoking:

19. #19 420neverforget, Nov 30, 2012
    This ignorance is strong with this one.

If that's not a contradiction, I don't know what is. Next.

"Unsupervised Probation"
    And his rights. Probation means the government can search him anytime.
    Exactly. Your friend got caught with weed and lost their rights.

20. yeah but who says that you'll be getting a 50 dollar ounce
    you have no clue what they could eventually decide to charge
    or put in it
    or do

call me paranoid if you will, but i have no faith in the government whatsoever. I think they will do anything for a profit of the greater few. And fuck the rest.