You know what I really hate?

Discussion in 'General' started by MihoSayuri, Apr 23, 2009.

1. when you begin to like something (a movie, TV show, etc) that no one really knows about and then all of a sudden it's huge and everyone likes it. it becomes incredibly overrated and you almost want to start hating it because everyone likes it so much.

that's what happened with the Twilight thing for me. I first read them YEARS ago, literally when the first book came out. now, I am seriously ashamed to call myself a Twilight fan because everyone is so obsessed with it. not to mention, most people tend to categorize you under the things you like, and I don't like being categorized as a stupid, tweeny, pre-pubescent girl who's in love with a fictional character. because I am none of those things.

has this ever happened to you? you really like something, and it just explodes, becomes the newest fad, and you are seconds away from throwing all your memorabilia of it away because of how insane it's gotten?

ugh. ><

2. I actually can't relate :\

3. I was big into Edgar Allen Poe back when he was still underground.

Now I'm borderline ashamed.

4. Coheed and cambria. I bought their first cd the day it came out, and then it just went downhill from there after they got on radio with their second cd.

5. Really... Thats why your ashamed to be a fan of twilight?

6. I couldn't care less if many people began to like something I enjoy. I'd be glad others share my point of view. I certainly do not care about people trying to categorize me because of my personal interests. Shallow, ignorant, and judgmental people are not worth my time.

There is one aspect that irks me about massively increased popularity of something I enjoy. When the creators of said enjoyment sell out and ruin all future products by working to appease the masses. I believe Star Wars is a great example of this.

7. If you enjoy a part of culture, a certain genre or what what ever it may be; If it's well thought out and contrived then you should be happy no matter what attention "it" gets.

Too often i see people trying to claim the "gems", as leverage in social circles. Not saying in this case. Just seems a sterile and "outer looking in" way of experiencing media.

I don't take the same interests in twilight as you, but; most hyped movies derived from books are terrible. I Wouldn't want to be lumped into the tween bimbo crowd either.;)

8. AlphaQ speaks the truth. Everyone else being into something shouldn't at all change how you feel about it, not unless it changes to become something different to why you liked it in the first place.

9. So your a sparkle fag?

10. i want my 30 seconds back

11. The closest example I can think of is I worked at a bike shop the spring the Lance Armstrong Livestrong bracelets came out. All of us wore them at the shop, I thought they were cool.

The first time I saw someone else wearing one I was like, "Hey, check it out!" and pointed to my bracelet... He was equally enthused. We both support biking and cures for cancer! Yellow is keen!

Alas, it wasn't long before the hoard caught on... and the appeal wore off. At the risk of appearing unoriginal, I decided to remove it.

12. yea i here ya OP

I've had that happen w/ some things

13. i hate it when that shit happens. mainly happens to music for me. ill hear a song online or something, then a couple months late its the "new hit song" on the radio and all the 13 year old girls are in love with it. pisses me off.

14. Fortunately, no one knows about The Knux or Aesop Rock yet, so I'm still good on that. Still, this kind of thing helped me out before. When Family Guy started talking about those "eye floater" things that you get, I was relieved as hell cuz I'd always wondered what that was and didn't know how to approach other people about it.

15. Are you talking about the poet?

16. this same thing happened to me with Linkin Park. I loved their first album and shit and then they started getting more and more radio play and now all of their songs are radio friendly bullshit to the point where I am no longer a fan.

17. #17 MihoSayuri, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
    yeah. it is. I am not ashamed for any other reason. why? because I truly enjoyed the novels. sorry if that makes you think I'm stupid or whatever you think of people who liked it. that's just dumb. and had it not been so popular and all over the place, you probably wouldn't think of it the way you do now.

by the way, it's rude to put down another person's interest, especially when we weren't even talking about it in the first place.

this kind of thing always happens with bands, for me, as well. I used to like Evanescence back when they were really unknown and now they are really famous and I don't listen to them as much.

oh, well. I guess we'll all have to conform a few times in our life, eh?

18. This thread is literally the story of my life :mad:

19. I keep experiencing the polar opposite of the OP....

I find something I like and then "Poof!"......it's gone

John From Cincinnatti was great and I loved it and now it's gone

My local pizza shop USED to make bacon pizza.....no more

4 years ago, the pool supply by me carried a particular "kit" of chemicals to close the pool......last year they stopped carrying it and the stuff they replaced it with doesn't work as well...

It's like I'm the kiss of death

20. You remind me of those kids who try to find the most underground band they can just so they can know about it before everyone else does.

Who the fuck cares?