You know, were living in a society!

Discussion in 'General' started by Anony, May 13, 2008.

1. Ok, first off let me say this isnt a very interesting topic/poll, nor very important, however you can consider me George Castanza (Cantstandya) in which I believe we are living in a society, and I like to do whatever I can to support this function. In other words, I believe manners are key, right down to being chivalrous.
    Having said this, I want to see what you guys think about this situation and what you would do.
    Bare with me, it might seem a little confusing;

At a neighborhood store I commonly frequent (almost daily, wont mention any names) there is usually only one register open when you go to check out, and one walkway to that register. However on the other side of the same walkway is another register they sometimes open when the first register gets too busy and too many people are having to wait.
    So here I am standing in line with only one register open, one person waiting in front of me (still waiting in line), and another person currently checking out at the register.
    As I am waiting, 3-4 people fall in line behind me.

The manager notice's this, and opens the extra register, so the person in front of me goes to it.
    Now here I am standing in line on what WAS the only register open, so when they opened the extra register, and the woman in front of me goes to check out, what I am thinking the right thing to do, is to wait in the middle of the walkway, so that whichever register opens next I should get since I have been waiting in line longer than the people behind me.
    It never fails, the person behind me always thinks its ok to create two lines and move into the extra register even though I am the next in line. ( Usually because they noticed the first register is slow and they are taking advantage, This happens A LOT, busy store with a slow checkout person in the first register.)
    Am I supposed to wait in the register line I was originally in? Isn't the middle line, next person waiting gets to go theory correct? Am I crazy? Now this time it was a little old woman, so I considered it my good deed for the day to let her go first (which I actually try to do every day) but there have been plenty of times I have wanted to go up to the person and say "You know, were living in a SOCIETY!" Just like Costanza.

Which way is correct? I must admit, I am a child of technology, minutes to me can amount to so many things accomplished, am I selfish?

2. I'd say you should be next, but it all depends...I'm having a hard time visualizing this because I'm freaking out not knowing where I put my season 8 of seinfeld

3. This happens to me in the self-checkout lanes all the time. There's one damn lineup, but one of the registers in the back will open up and someone random will come butt in and fuck it all up. Drives me insane.

4. I think you're right in standing in the middle of the two and you should have gotten to go to the next register open. This is what I always do, and what I always see happen. Sometimes at my local Aldi's they have one long line that customers formed for 2 registers.

5. Like much etiquette, check out manners can vary from region to region and even family to family. For example when I was a child I learned through observation that a customer was to pick a line and accept the consequences if they wanted to move. However, I can see the merit to your understanding of check out line etiquette.

Perhaps what we need is a nationwide public awareness program dedicated to this exact problem. :)

6. Lol I heard that, I am jelous. My Ex bought me seasons 1-5 for xmas one year, then took them to her new oldboys house and never brought em back, I am left with only 5 discs. :(
    Biznatch.

Glad to hear I am not the only one.

Thats what I am saying, next person in line GOES NEXT! Its not that hard of a concept right?

Yea, fo sho. I know im kinda taking it too far with posting and whatnot, but I am hardcore manners. I over react sometimes without thinking I am told, lol. Hell I hold doors open for a group that has a woman in it I dont even know. Before I get flamed, yes women, I know you can open your own doors, but I like to so take my offer :)

7. Middle Lane next in line should be the way to go and people should just know this, more than likely most people do and most people think of this but normally you can get away with stealing the spot without alot of hassle maybe a dirty look so they do it.

Normally in this situation I let people fight over who goes next while I patiently wait. 90% of the time in a store I'm not in a hurry and really could care less.

People hurry too much in my opinion, time is in the mind.

I love your Castanza reference though, "You know we are living in a society!" Like when that dude tried to pull into his parking spot and he stayed there all day out of principle.

8. You gotta pick a line and see what happens lol.

If I was standing in the middle, I think other people might think I was nuts.