Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

You get stopped in your car by a cop, and he asks permission to search... what now?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by idioteque, Feb 19, 2009.

1. I'd tell him I don't consent to a search of my person or vehicle. After I got out of the car and locked the door of course.

In my state a cross gender search is completley legal. Most cops don't go around feeling up women around here and when they do it's usualy when they caught with a stolen car or prostituting.

2. wasnt in a car was walking away from a friend who had broken his leg on state property and the cops and emergency people flooded the place. me and my friends had been baking out his car so i reaked bad the cop flashed his light on me and got a whiff he stopped me started questioning me and asked if he could search me i was blitted out of my fucking mind and now nervous as fuck but i knew i had nothing on me so i said sure. Little did i know i had the remainder of what me and my friends were yet to smoke in a nice little plastic baggy that screamed DRUGZZZ!!!! hanging out of my pocket he snatched it up and asked me why i had lied to him about having any on me i was dumb high and the only thing that came out of my mouth was "uh dont kno" so he turned his back to me dumped it out and walked away......lol i was only punished by my friends for losing an l's worth of bud.

3. Its plain and simple people.

"I don't consent to any searches officer"

A simple one line answer that shows you know what you're talking about, and that he isn't going to be able to just bitch you around because you're scared. If you let cops scare you, they instantly have a huge advantage. As long as you don't do anything wrong and are always smart with your stash you will be fine.

Always keep your shit in your trunk, if you can in a locked box in the trunk. Cops cannot search your trunk without a warrant. If a cop has probable cause to search your vehicle, such as smell, or he sees a stem or roach etc.. You have to let him search. But only the inside of your vehicle, not your trunk. If your glove compartment is locked, he cannot unlock this without your permission or a warrant either.

DO NOT fall into any questions or places he tries to lead you. Such as

"oh well since you have nothing to hide, why not let me search" or...
    "I'm going to find whatever it is your hiding, so if you tell me the truth, you will get off easier"

These are all stupid things they tell you to try to get you to give up your rights and allow them to do whatever they like with you. In essence, they are basically people who are far more educated than most of us in the law, and they can use it however they like to try to take advantage of you. Unless you know your shit.

4. :eek: People still say that? Oh, sorry. You are probably some one who would report it. :p

5. this one time we were rollin around on a blunt ride and the driver blows a stop sign and you guessed it a cop was sitting there so we get pulled over and the blunt was just put out so the car reaks like pot the cop pulls us out one by one starting with driver and the person in shot gun next, as hes doing that we get the bright idea that one of us should eat the blunt now this isnt a skinny one either, we just bought a quarter of some fine ass headies and threw most of it in it, we did rock paper scissors on who eats it and my friend beans lost and he was already on 3 perks so me puts it in his mouth and washes it down with half a shot of iced tea that was left after the cop searched us all he asked to search the car so he did and found nothing the cop says "i know you guys been smokin, let me guess you just got finished smokin a bone in the woods" without hesitation we all agree and lets us go luckily for us he didnt find the bag of what was left stuffed in the back seat.

so i say hide the weed as best you can and if you have to eat it

6. I've read so many threads like this one where people always advise you to just give consent and pray they don't find whatever your trying to hide.

Our forefathers would bitch slap all of you.

What is the point of having rights if the people they are protecting will not use them?

For some reason I get the feeling that most of the people here that are telling others to give consent are either

A) 15
    B) Have never been in the situation

Now before you all go making stuff up like "I'm 25, given cops consent to search my car like a 1000467783 timezzzzz and I've never been caught", just remember this is the internet and I will not believe you anyway.

I think it's ridiculous to think that just because one arrogant cop starts to tell everyone to give consent to search on a DVD, everyone takes it as law and is now encouraging others to waive their rights away at a traffic stop.

The advice is irresponsible, if you want police to stop abusing their powers, stop giving them permission to do so.

For the record... been pulled over 3 times with weed...

First time - 18 years old, gave consent, busted.
    Second time - 21 years old, refused consent, got a ticket and drove away.
    Third time - Just got back from Iraq, had a military ID, the cop didn't even give me a ticket.

7. Wear whitey tighties and crotch that shit...Ive been pulled over numerous times and they have never pat me down to the point they are feeling on my shit. I jjust consent to the search and leave 10 minutes later laughing so hard im swerving. Its funny to watch them search your car and hear them sayin "FUCK, WHERE IS IT!?????" hahahaha

8. Dude that was fucking hilarious

9. Unfortunately, both answers are right. Most cops won't do an extensive search and you will be released, but some will...

I have been busted before and had the charges dropped, so I know a little about it. If you have it on you the only reason a cop will ask to search you is to find weapon. I said sure. They felt the bag in my pocket and wanted me to either give it to them, or admit what it was. I simply said it was not a weapon and did not concern them, and that it was a personal item of mine. They eventually took it from my pocket themselves and arrested me, but the charges were dropped because I did not give them permission to look in my pocket even after I consented to a weapon search.

The devil is in the details. However, the best approach is to be proactive and not have it on you or be very cautious.

10. #50 idioteque, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    Wrong. The keep-it-in-the-trunk rule of thumb only saves you from "reasonable suspicion" searches, which are limited to the areas the driver has access to while in the car. Probable cause searches aren't limited, however.

The long-standing "automobile exception" to the warrant requirement was expanded by the Supreme Court in U.S. v. Ross, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Ross) which held that "Police officers who have legitimately stopped an automobile and who have probable cause to believe that contraband is concealed somewhere within it may conduct a warrantless search of the vehicle that is as thorough as a magistrate could authorize by warrant." In other words, when it comes to cars, the police only need probable cause to conduct the same full search they would get with a warrant. This includes the trunk of the car, and any containers found in the vehicle, locked or otherwise.

If the officer has probable cause (as simple as him claiming he smells weed), he has the ability to search not only the trunk, but locked containers in it. It doesn't matter if your stash is in your locked trunk, inside a locked box, inside another locked box, inside another locked box:

"A lawful search of fixed premises generally extends to the entire area in which the object of the search may be found and is not limited by the possibility that separate acts of entry or opening may be required to complete the search. Thus, a warrant that authorizes an officer to search a home for illegal weapons also provides authority to open closets, chests, drawers, and containers in which the weapon might be found. A warrant to open a footlocker to search for marijuana would also authorize the opening of packages found inside. A warrant to search a vehicle would support a search of every part of the vehicle that might contain the object of the search. When a legitimate search is under way, and when its purpose and its limits have been precisely defined, nice distinctions between closets, drawers, and containers, in the case of a home, or between glove compartments, upholstered seats, trunks, and wrapped packages, in the case of a vehicle, must give way to the interest in the prompt and efficient completion of the task at hand." (Ross at 820)

Now, keep in mind that this is the state of the law under the U.S. Constitution -- your state constitution *may* give you greater protections than the Federal constitution. The Ross rule is the majority rule (i.e., in place in most jurisdictions).

11. if you look like a pothead/just smoked, NEVER consent because that cop will search the shit out of your car

if you are a nerdy white guy like me, hide your shit in an excellent spot (crotch, inside of a seat, secret compartment) and consent immediately "sure officer, no problem" , they will barely even try to look

12. #52 Cannibus_Sativa, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    When I got stopped, I had a suspended license. The cop informed me that he would be searching the car regardless so I told him I had weed. He ended up taking the weed, and my car got impounded but I never got charged with anything. I had an oz. and a digital scale in the car. When I got my car back, the scale was still in there. I personally think the cop took my shit and smoked it himself. If you know they're going to search your car, and you know they're going to find your sack, just admit that you have it before they do the search. They don't like it when you lie to them.

13. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever consent to a search. Unless you look shady, 99% of the time cops are too busy to take the time to bring dogs and all of the BS they threaten you with. They aren't going to spend an hour pulling some kid over looking for his quarter.

Being polite and keeping cool goes miles for dealing with police officers. Yes sir, no sir; I swear if you give them the illusion of respect and just take your ticket for speeding or whatever they rarely give you shit. I've been pulled over 3-4 times within a few minutes of smoking in my car. I just throw everything in my steering coloum, light a cig and spray something on my hands so they don't smell like bud when I hand him my stuff.

The only time I got caught was the first time I was pulled over with weed. He got me out of the car to pat me for weapons and felt a chillum in my pocket, then searched the rest of my car.
    What do they need to pull you out of your car? Do they need suspicion of wrongdoing or probable cause?

14. I guess this would be different for wherever you get pulled over. Because I know for a fact cops here would sure love to waste an hour to bust a kid with an eighth of bud on him. Whenever I've gotten searched, the cop has taken his sweet ass time.

I don't know what you are talking about with them not needing a warrant to search the trunk. The 2 times I got searched with probable cause (stem first time, and smell the other) the cop asked BOTH times if he had permission to search my trunk. Both times I said no, and he left it at that. Never asked or tried for it again. I keep my shit in a locked box in the trunk, and as far as I know cops cannot search your trunk without a warrant. That's how it is around here. Cops don't pop any of my friends trunks unless they are idiots and allow them.

15. when i was 16 i, and 4 of my friends went to great woods (mansfield, MA) to see the Allman Bros. we got to the lot and set up our tailgate, etc. we were young and stupid and had 2 30-packs of beer, an ounce of schwag and a large graphixx plastic bong. so gross.

anyway, we were there for about an hour when 2 mansfield (local cops, not venue security) police swing buy our tailgate in a golf cart when we weren't looking (we were on the end of the row). they see the bong thats on the ground in between the car and the drivers side door which is open, they see the beer bottles, etc. we're fucked.

so they ask us who's car it is. my boy, who is a smart kid (and the owner/driver, also 16), says "its my older brothers" (made up; non-existent). they ask where the bro is and my boy says that he's already inside the venue. so they then turn their attention to our contraband and say, "is there anythng else in the car you guys want to give up or do we have to search?". they were implyng that if we were lying and they had to search (they were old, fat fucks), that we would be fucked. after much internal debate i gave up our stash of schwag which was tucked away nicely in the backseat. they take our beer, the bong and they empty the weed from its bag in front of us on the ground and step on it. they then tell us to lock the car and get the fuck in the concert.

that was it. to this day, 15 years later, i'm convinced because we told the truth and gave up the schwag, they stopped busting our balls. my friends feel the same way.

anyway, that was a long story thats not really about getting stopped by a cop. but im baked and that was a fun concert.

16. Personaly I think that HerbalRemedies is the smartest one who has posted on this thread. everyone elses stories seem to be just retarded or they sound like someone made it up as the read through the thread. i personally have been arrested for possesion and dui for marijuana after obtaining a lawyer and getting a drung and alc. evaluation and 3 months in the good ol court system i was finally let off with wreckless endangerment. so i was taking my friends on a beer run and my car has automatic head lights and as i was waiting for my friend to get out of the store i turned them off so they guy in front of me didnt get pissed, well as i was puling out of the store, me being pretty baked at the time forgot to turn my lights on and was pulled over no more than a block away. as soon as the state patrol officer got to the window he stated that he smelled marijuana and proceeded to put me in handcuffs and set me on the front of the patrol car he then took everyone out of my car and searched them then he came back and searched me where he found my 8th of dank in my sweatshirt pocket. i was then givin the sobriety test which i learned i passed once i got to court; anyways long story short knwo your rights and watch bary coopers never get busted. if i would have watched it and knew my rights before i got pulled over i would have gotten let off with a warning for driving without my lights on for 75-80 feet tops before getting pulled over because i would have known i passed the sobriety test, i would have known that the officer was not able to take me out and put me in handcuffs and waiting to search me till later, and most of all i would have known that you are able to get out and lock your car with the windows up untill you give them consent to search. BTW + rep. to HerbalRemedies:smoke:

17. Guys, if the cop asks you why you don't consent to the search, this is your answer: "Officer, would you let a complete stranger search through your private possessions with information about your home and family?"

And no, being a cop does not make him a trustworthy person. I think we all know this.

18. One more thing i forgot, backback with a lock on it cannot be searched without a warrant, and you have to make sure you tell the officers areas they cannot search like locked bags or glove compartments. a friend of mine got in an accident and he had his glock full of hollow tips in it locked in his glove box wich did not get searched because it was locked. if he would have gotten caught with just 1 hollow tip where i live hed be in the state penn for 5 yrs and he had a full mag of em

19. that was also 15 yeaqrs ago bro. cops arent the same as they were back in the early 90s and you guys where probably like the 10th oz of schwag that got dumped out that day and they probably drank all of your beers

20. So if I understand correctly, if you deny consent and they pull in the K-9 and find some bud, you can get the case dropped in court or do they need to do something really wrong?