You don't need shampoo.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by bahookahjoe18, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I have dreads and I rarely use shampoo. Shampoo usually straightens hair, and with my straight/african hair, that doesn't help my dreads. So I just use my body wash as shampoo or whatever soap I'm using. Before I had dreads I rarely used shampoo and just put some soap in it.

2. That's false advertising, castile soap has only olive oil.

On that note, if you hippies really want to go back to basics, soap is incredibly easy to make. Basically warm up a pot of olive oil to body temperature, and prepare a separate jug of water and drop a bunch of lye in (with the right measurements obviously), it will shoot up to double or triple body temperature... wait for it to come down to body temperature and then dump it into the oil and stir very well. Keep stirring till it is the consistency of custard, drop in any essential oils or fragrance you want, then pour it into casts. The next day you can cut it into blocks, and cure then for 6 weeks. Then you have about 2 years supply of pure castile soap that you made with your own hands.

3. [quote name='"rollinjoints"']I have dreads and I rarely use shampoo. Shampoo usually straightens hair, and with my straight/african hair, that doesn't help my dreads. So I just use my body wash as shampoo or whatever soap I'm using. Before I had dreads I rarely used shampoo and just put some soap in it.[/quote]

Not gonna lie, I always pictured you as Jimi Hendrix.

With an afro.

4. I'm not dirty or even remotely close to a hippie though? Like not even close lol

What kind of hippes do you know that have iPhones, hangs out with normal dudes, and wears cargos and polo? Lol

You're mistaking healthy with hippie.

5. Didn't read whole thread but I've experimented with shampoo a bit over the last year.

My first trial i skipped 1 day, 2 days, 3 days then went straight for 55. I went through a greasy phase then it stabilized myself. I continued shampoo use after I noticed major dandruff which i never had my whole life. Like i could fill my finger nails with white when i scratched my head.

Next i used shampoo in a lot smaller amounts per shower and maybe every other day for a month or two.

Finally i decided to stop shampoo again and give it another try. At the start of summer I did this but used a little bit of shampoo after swimming in my cities river. And then once after bonnaroo haha. But since early june i havnt used shampoo and my hair is better than ever. Not dry, not greasy, just right. I try to advocate no shampoo to others but i usually get crazy looks. Oh and the lesson i learned from my first trial was to really scrub your head clean each shower. Dont just massage the hair but scratch the scalp all over and massage hair- water only of course.

I tried using arm and hammer natural deodorant but it literally made my armpits perl skin and sting like crazy. I was thinking about making my own deo but not after that cause i think it might have been the baking soda?

6. so i take it you guys dont gel your hair lol

7. Ugh ew.

I just used soap and shampoo for the first time in 3 months. :laughing:

My skin feels like I just sucked all the moisture out of every cell in my body.

My hair feels disgusting. It's dry as fuck, and it won't lay flat at all. It's just dead.

Fuck soap and fuck shampoo. I don't need it.

8. You don't use soap? :eek:

9. I want to give this a try. I have very thick, coarse hair (where I'm not balding) because I have African blood (grandmother on my mom's side was black) and normally wash my hair with Dr. Bronners, but it's really beginning to take a toll on my hair and scalp.

The extra oils would certainly make my hair look a bit better.

10. [quote name='"rollinjoints"']

You don't use soap? :eek:[/quote]

Hell no man. That shit's bad for your skin. It fucks up your pH, your natural bacterial barriers, and your skin's moisture level.

I don't stink either.

I think using soap is just as dumb as using shampoo.

11. Not even after using the restroom, or to prepare food? or just showering?

12. [quote name='"nanners"']

Not even after using the restroom, or to prepare food? or just showering?[/quote]

Oh no, I still wash my hands with soap, just not my body.

13. sigh, self righteous hippies

14. [quote name='"EEIET"']sigh, self righteous hippies[/quote]

lol k.

15. I have pretty dry hair, so I use Argan oil. It works pretty good to moisturize it.

16. i have inch long hair at most.. usually like it to be 1/4 inch long.. shorter than my beard lol.

but anyways, im going to start stopping shampoo, i figure itll be easy with such short hair.

i gotta question for you hair people though.. why is it my beard is always the same.. like always coarse, never greasy or anything.. but the top of my head does get all greasy, but its nice and soft any awesome?

i swear some people have facial hair comparable to their top of the head hair.

17. Old Spice body wash for everything. If I didn't use any soap or anything I wouldn't be able to sufficiently scrub the dirt and smell as good.

18. Okay... so I threw out my old shampoo... Goddamn, I never really looked at the ingredients, it even had corn in it and I'm allergic to corn. I'm going to wash my hair every other day and only use natural products.

My hair just gets too gross if I don't wash it. But I'm also a girl and like to style my hair. I have short hair and idk if i could get away with it, if I had long hair.

19. [quote name='"TheCrunge"']

Hell no man. That shit's bad for your skin. It fucks up your pH, your natural bacterial barriers, and your skin's moisture level.

I don't stink either.

I think using soap is just as dumb as using shampoo.[/quote]

quoted for future

20. #120 nanners, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    Hahaha.....

[​IMG]