You don't need shampoo.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by bahookahjoe18, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I've tried this before. It doesn't really work for me my hair just gets really greasy to the point it feels gross. And my hair gets super greasy when I'm on my period. And a lot of shampoos weigh my hair down because I have such fine hair.

I like to try to keep a natural lifestyle. I might try another natural shampoo. I was using burts bees for awhile, but it wasn't really working for me. I might try the shampoo ddoublevision suggested.

Does anyone know a good natural brand of anti-perspirant to use? I usually do not wear any, but when its really hot and humid I kind of need it. But in the winter fall and spring I do not need it. I'm just using dove now.

2. What's your diet look like? Do you eat a lot of fatty and greasy foods? Lots of oils?

The excess fat and oils you consume in your diet will also come out into your hair and onto your skin.

I have a really clean diet which is all natural. All whole foods...nothing processed or refined. I'm absolutely sure that has helped me since I haven't even made it the 2 weeks yet and my hair is doing fine and not greasy at all.

If you don't want to experiment with your diet or you are already eating clean (which is hard to imagine because I think you wouldn't be having trouble), then lemon juice is EXCELLENT. It stripped the grease (not my whole scalp, but the excess on my hair), made my hair nice and fluffy, gave it a good shine, and it felt extremely light and soft.

3. hmmmm... this is interesting... My diet is as healthy as it gets, and my hair still gets really greasy. I have pretty bad food allergies, gluten, corn, soy, and dairy, so I'm forced to eat healthy. I was using burts bees but that contains soy and I wanted to stop.

I think for me it might have to do with hormones. The longest I've gone with out washing my hair was a week. But when I get my period my hair and skin get really greasy, thats when I really want to use shampoo.

4. That could effect it...really don't know.

All I know is that for me it's working awesome :D

5. Sure, but new substances may come from the lab or nature.

Haha you can spare me the hard sell, I'm not afraid of shampoo... It's just expensive and if I didn't have to use it I'd be happy to let it go from my routine. The only issue is that my transition will involve a period of really gross hair... and to be honest rubbing my hair in citric acid doesn't seem any better than using shampoo, and I am particularly put off the idea of using industrial grade sodium bicarbonate.

6. Agreed.

I would simply suggest this. Next time you take a shower, scrub your head and hair really well and try your best to get all the oil out with just water. Then when you get out and dry it, just see how it looks and see if it's manageable. The first day is usually the worst it will look and for me it wasn't even that bad. If you're on a schedule or something, just make sure you take the shower a bit ahead of time so in case it just looks too far gone...you can jump back in real quick and shampoo.

7. Baking soda works wonders

8. No, I'd say I eat very clean. No greasy/fatty/oily foods. All organic if possible, and I went to a nutritionist for both my diet and gym routine (and she's very much into the "natural" lifestyle).

I'll have to try lemon juice, thanks... although it seems that my hair only gets extra greasy when I don't shower at work. Normally, I work 6-7 days a week and have to shower after each shift (hazardous chemicals). I had three days off, so those three days I showered at my apt. This morning before work (after having 3 days off) is when it seemed the greasiest. Maybe something in my water/work's water could be the issue?

9. Hmmm yea idk. I encourage you to try the lemon though.

You guys have got me worried now haha my hairs doing great and I was hoping it would only get better. Hopefully my hair stays on track!

10. It's been like 3 months, and my hair gets kinda greasy and sticky after like 3 days.

11. I use Dr. Bronners soap as shampoo and body soap

12. I've got dreads-in-the-making. I wash my hair every other day with cold water and baking soda. Every week or so, I use a natural body wash on my hair, I like my hair to smell Girly and baking soda leaves no smell at all.

13. #93 DDV, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    [quote name='"smileyface619"']I've got dreads-in-the-making. I wash my hair every other day with cold water and baking soda. Every week or so, I use a natural body wash on my hair, I like my hair to smell Girly and baking soda leaves no smell at all.[/quote]

I was using baking soda for a while but it made my hair oily. I would wake up in the morning with my face oily too. I've been using Bronners though and haven't had that issue anymore

Edit: DILUTED Bronners

14. Dr. Bronners 18 in one for the win

15. God damn your hair is luscious as fuck

16. I thought I commented in this thread before but I'm going on a year with no shampoo now. I keep my hair short so that helps alot but I my hair has never been healthier. When I do use shampoo now it just makes my hair feel dead and flat.

If anyones looking for a alternative to commercial toothpaste try "NOW xyliwhite toothpaste" it works wonders, has no flouride either :D baking soda works just as well for brushing your teeth, and use hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash.

17. #97 hurb1, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    lol @ shampoo. I havent used that since i was a kid and my parents bought it. What a scam. I use soap bar, works on the hair from my neck down; why wouldnt it work on my hair from the neck up? This is my shit right here, so invigorating. Ever use a soap that you can eat without poisoning yourself. Fuck chemicals, and all that bullshit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. [quote name='"hurb1"']lol @ shampoo. I havent used that since i was a kid and my parents bought it. What a scam. I use soap bar, works on the hair from my neck down; why wouldnt it work on my hair from the neck up? This is my shit right here, so invigorating. Ever use a soap that you can eat without poisoning yourself. Fuck chemicals, and all that bullshit.

[/quote]

that's what I'm talking about :smoke:

19. Havent washed my hair with anything but water and my finger for a very long time now. :cool: I do fucks with BODY WASH THO. haha

20. there is a reason why people think marijuana users are proverbial "dirty hippies".
    now I know.