You don't need shampoo.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by bahookahjoe18, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Well the lye is no longer active after saponification (soap making)

2. Oh gotcha. So the lye is what 'cleans'? Or the olive oil?

3. I'm perfectly serious. It's something I've done on numerous occasions, I've made the soap for myself and others (mainly my mother and aunt who both love it).

You can buy lye (NaOH, caustic soda, sodium hydroxide) from a hardware store. It's the main ingredient of Draino. The important part is to buy 100% NaOH, ie. NOT a blend of NaOH and aluminium filings or other drain unblocking agents. Yes it is highly corrosive, you should wear gloves and eye protection whilst dealing. ALWAYS pour solids into water, NEVER water onto solids.

Kids in undergraduate labs and highschools are brave enough to use it, so I'm sure grown men can handle it... I've handled much stronger bases and still live to tell the tale.

Here's an excellent guide on how to make soap (with photos)
    . Note - you can scale down the ingredients if you so desire.

Both. Sodium hydroxide cleaves the triglycerides in oil to make a salt (which we call soap). It is a molecule with a highly polar region and a highly non-polar region. It aggregates into spheres, called micelles, which can make grease water soluble.

4. The oils. The lye is just used to break down the ester bonds in whatever fats are being used.

The olive oil pretty much dissolves the dirt on your body, which is what "cleans" you.

5. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

The oils. The lye is just used to break down the ester bonds in whatever fats are being used.

The olive oil pretty much dissolves the dirt on your body, which is what "cleans" you.[/quote]

Lol its like an advanced version of what the greek used to do

6. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

The oils. The lye is just used to break down the ester bonds in whatever fats are being used.

The olive oil pretty much dissolves the dirt on your body, which is what "cleans" you.[/quote]

So bathing in olive oil would work too?

7. Yes. I think it was the Greeks who used to used olive oil for cleansing. They'd rub it all over their bodies, and then use their hands to slick it, and the dirt, off of them.

8. #288 Carl Weathers, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    No.

The fatty acid salt is a long carbon chain (attracted to grease) with a charged head (attracted to water). The net result is a vehicle that will carry dirt/grease away with water. Without the addition of lye, the triglycerides are intact and will not have the charged properties required to become water soluble.

Hence rubbing yourself in oil will just make you covered in oil.

9. This just makes grease water soluble though.

I think oil will still break down dirt, although I could be wrong

10. I wonder what would happen if I use hash oil instead of olive oil :cool:

11. #291 Carl Weathers, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    Oil will solubilise the greasy oil on your skin, but I'd like to see you 'slick' it all off cleanly. Making it water soluble is the fundamental property of a soap.

Pretty sure you can use hemp oil instead of olive oil, but I'm not sure what the result would be like. Castile soap is definitely the most popular choice.

12. Yes, you're correct

13. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

Yes, you're correct[/quote]

You have to scrape it off with something that's like a knife blade lol, it doesn't clean you off, you clean it off

Plus, anyone smelled rancid olive oil? Cause you will NOT get it all off... and that shit is.... to put it nicely, like an anus puked out bile into a pile of year old rectum meat

14. Is that how you metal fans put things nicely? :p

But I agree, olive oil baths sound PUTRID. Thankfully this isn't ancient Greece anymore :p

15. [quote name='"DrSheldonCooper"']

Is that how you metal fans put things nicely? :p

But I agree, olive oil baths sound PUTRID. Thankfully this isn't ancient Greece anymore :p[/quote]

Lol no, that's putting it kindly hahahahahaha

And this isn't ancient greece??? Shit I better cancel that olive oil orgy....

16. Damn hippies

17. A hippie is a concept, a state of mind and person, it is not something that merely hugging a tree represents you have to legitimately let that tree know how much you appreciate what it's doing. When you see an old hippie, a real one not the scummy dropout spunout losers sellin bunk at phish, the guy in pennsylvania who let a bunch of strangers camp out on his property and smoke and party; respect that person

For they are very wise, and likely happier at any pout in time than you yourself

18. Sorry double post but I like dr brronners as it is the nations largest importer of hemp, the hemp oil when saponified creates a luxurious lather due to the omega 3 and 6

19. [quote name='"Beagle"']A hippie is a concept, a state of mind and person, it is not something that merely hugging a tree represents you have to legitimately let that tree know how much you appreciate what it's doing. When you see an old hippie, a real one not the scummy dropout spunout losers sellin bunk at phish, the guy in pennsylvania who let a bunch of strangers camp out on his property and smoke and party; respect that person

For they are very wise, and likely happier at any pout in time than you yourself[/quote]

Sounds like you think hippies are the only happy people on earth lol

Sad belief you have there my friend

20. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

Sounds like you think hippies are the only happy people on earth lol

Sad belief you have there my friend[/quote]

I'm glad you think you know all about my beliefs, I find no condescension in that. Sorry for having a different point if view, thanks for mocking me though. Kinda disrespectful if you ask me but you can probably do that stuff, no harm no foul