You believe in religion?

Discussion in 'General' started by NothingButDANK, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Also with religion why are born agains the worst? They are the ones who preach the most. Being atheist I still like religion because it teaches morals to people (some).

2. I feel you... I grew up in Mississippi and Georgia... can't get more Baptist than that!

3. I'm an atheist, but honestly, after taking shrooms a few times, I can't help but feel that we are all connected and there is something out there.

I definitely don't believe in any sort of bible god, or a god that looks over us and gives a shit about earth. That's just irrational.

4. wrote this as part of a paper freshman year in HS... suprised i still have it.

There are those who do not affiliate with a religion or those who are atheist. Are they constrained in the same way as those who do practice a religion? I believe not. This is because these people made a personal decision to not affiliate with the particular group and to live in a matter that goes in accordance with their thought processes. They have no need to gauge decisions on a preformed complex presented to them by a higher power, such as a religion in this case. This is not to say that the same people in question are not confronted by other influences other than religion. There are myriad ways in which one can be influenced to think and act a way that is not what they would choose if living in a purely individual manner. By constantly comparing their decisions to the ones that should be made in accordance with said religion, a person loses sovereignty over their own life, and all decisions made during its course.

i believe religion is a crutch to 95% of its believers. people are inherently weak, and they have a need for affirmation or just something to believe in, so that the monotony of their life has a 'meaning'. these people are so set once they get into that religulous mindset, that once they believe, nothing else is 'right'. it kind of makes me sick to think that so many of these people preach one love, and all that sentimental shit, but are so ignorant and closed minded to other thoughts and feelings... kind of strange..

5. #25 Jakigi, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    How did atheism teach your morals? Do you consider morality as an evolutionary characteristic of mankind? Avoiding murder, thievery, lying - all things that society considers "good" morals - benefited the tribe. A group of humans could be more successful, more likely to survive, more productive etc if they had good morals.

If so, then atheism taught you that morality is completely subjective... and societies current "good" and "bad" morals are just to perpetuate our own species???

6. Yes. A true "athiest" doesn't have morals, so I've read.

Athiests tend to form their own system of "morals" by observing human nature.

7. cant we just stop all the god damn labeling and just be individuals? :confused:

8. But we are talking about atheism and that is a label.

9. Not a chance. :D

Because without labeling... we wouldn't be having much of a discussion.

I feel you though.... pigeonholing beliefs into categories kills individuality. But we can blame that on language to some degree.

10. yeah but that is exactly what i mean dude...

stop the labelling, and be true to YOURSELF, and not some preformed complex.

11. #31 Jakigi, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    true... but how do you share your ideas with others without throwing over-generalized tags on your ideas. :confused:

i'll reword my post about morals and atheism. ;)

12. i try

13. i am a lolcat.
    j/k
    i believe in god but not religion.

14. I was just throwing it out that that technically a true atheist would not have morals. ;)

Not trying to change the OPs way of thinking or anything... :)

15. Not attacking... i come in peace.

What is your God? How did you come to understand it?

16. Once we conform and become part of a larger caste or classification, such as identifying ourselves with a certain clique or race, we lose all sight of our own identities. By doing so, the assumptions made about the group or clique we conformed into will be made towards us as well, even if we do not identify with said assumptions. We become another appendage of the group, and the group's classification becomes our own. This can be seen in many ways. For example, why do people of a particular ethnicity tend to live in a similar ethnic neighborhood? Is this form of migration a product of the environment, in this case America, they live in? Or is it the fact these neighborhoods are contributing to the racial segregation of America? I believe both to be true. The American culture whether it is in magazines, television, movies or any other form of media, supports this informal segregation by means of displaying these neighborhoods as pop culture ‘attractions' such as the commonly seen Chinatown, Little Mexico, Little Italy, etc. The people of these particular ethnicities, most likely, feel more comfortable living with likeminded people and would rather live in these neighborhoods than in an area filled predominantly with others of a different affiliation. Individuality is muddled in this entire affair. Those who identify with a particular group no longer see themselves as singular, rather a part of the larger affiliation. Identity is thus transformed into whatever assumptions the culture makes about that group.

. Religion, however helpful it may be spiritually and mentally, contributes greatly to the demise of individuality. People turn to religion to seek refuge from myriad influences and detriments. The refuge they receive may help them with their problems, but it deters them from ultimately choosing their own destiny or lifestyle. Most religions practiced in the United States, those that are monotheistic, require submission of the self to a higher power. They also require complete faith in their teachings otherwise dire consequences may be exhibited. How do these teachings allow for a person to think about their world, or anything for that matter, without gauging it the teachings of their faith?

There are those who do not affiliate with a religion or those who are atheist. Are they constrained in the same way as those who do practice a religion? I believe not. This is because these people made a personal decision to not affiliate with the particular group and to live in a matter that goes in accordance with their thought processes. They have no need to gauge decisions on a preformed complex presented to them by a higher power, such as a religion in this case. This is not to say that the same people in question are not confronted by other influences other than religion. There are myriad ways in which one can be influenced to think and act a way that is not what they would choose if living in a purely individual manner. By constantly comparing their decisions to the ones that should be made in accordance with said religion, a person loses sovereignty over their own life, and all decisions made during its course.

thought id throw a little more of my paper in there, relevancy aside. you bring up a great point dude, i guess one would have to throw out their opinion no matter the complex they are replying to. that is to say, voice your POV without it being befuddled with by other people's opinions, i.e the preformed complex. great question, i guess in all simplicity we need to break the language barrier as you mentioned. that or learn to not give a shit about other's subjectivity, rather brace our objectivity.

17. What? Morality is subjective to an atheist... whereas morality is written in stone for, say, christianity. As far as i understand it... (labels everywhere... sorry illedelphin)

18. lol, no problem. i label myself as a lot of things, that is only because there are only so many words that we know of:rolleyes:

19. I consider myself Christian, only in the sense that I believe in what jesus said. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Whether or not he was the immaculate son of god, whether god made the universe, I don't care, it's not relevant to how I live. As for Church, I hate it. Jesus never said anything about a church because that isn't what's important.

20. well i was raised catholic....but i beleive in christian god and jesus nd shit i guess....but not the bible and the pope and shit.