Yoga

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Toxy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Alright, so obviously there are a lot of people who do meditation on this forum, but does anyone do yoga? My friend has been teaching me for the past few weeks now and I love it, feeling more energized and a better sense of knowing my body. I have scoliosis too and my doctor said it's getting better :D

If you do yoga what type of yoga do you do? And what are you're favorite poses?

2. My girlfriends friend's mom has a yoga place down the street

Also according to your user title we're both vegheads and dreadheads! :D

3. I made a thread about yoga a while ago.. I posted my favorite poses in it so I'll just link you to it:

http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/871040-guide-yoga.html?highlight=yoga

The first video in the thread is a great beginners guide...

Your right though! It really energises you for the rest of the day. My usual routine is wake up, shower, then 20 minutes of yoga and it helps me tremendously with anxiety and overall just preparing for the day.

I'll give you a website that I got those poses from in my thread: My Yoga Online: Yoga Videos Classes Downloads Streaming

4. I think it's awesome that you made a thread about it :D I guess I didn't catch it, I'd rather be posting on that. :smoke:

5. That's fucking awesome!! :hello:

6. Either thread works.. I just didn't feel like retyping all that. lol.

The one major difference I've noticed from yoga is my breathing.. I've always had pretty powerful lungs, but they were phlegmy due to smoking cigs and ganja. I've quit cigs now so that probably helped, but just overall my lungs feel soooo much more "fresh".

7. I agree. While I do yoga poses I constantly focus on my breathing technique, making sure I'm breathing from the stomach, all the way up to my chest. My lungs feel a lot lighter and clear, and I smoke cig's as well, sadly. :rolleyes:
    A lot of people underestimate what yoga can do!

8. oh shit i thought this was about real Yoga

haha cya

9. I was talking about body yoga, not mind yoga if that's what you mean?

10. There's no such thing as real yoga. You can make yoga whatever you want.

And what do you mean by "cya"? First, you have to say "Hello". :rolleyes:

11. Man, yoga can do WONDERS for the body and the mind.

Most people try to find peace solely in the mind. But one cannot find full peace in the mind without addressing the body as well, for the body and the mind are one.

When one is stressed and angry, or anxious and fearful, the body subtly contracts and loses its naturally openness and freeness. Blood vessels contract - muscles contract. Our stresses and emotions of daily life are literally stored into our bodies!

Mindbody healing modalities such as yoga are so beautiful because they help to directly OPEN UP all of those tensions and old pain, old karma, etc. I LOVE yoga. Taken to the full extent, and done with the supervision of good instructors, it is amazing what yoga can do regarding emotions. People get over LIFELONG emotional blocks through certain poses with yoga. Lifelong fears and traumas can be overcome through proper yoga practice.

There is an awesome story illustrating this at this link here, under the paragraph restorative yoga:

My Yoga Story - How a Childhood Memory Can Heal You

[quote name='"Intro to the story"']Restorative Yoga
    Here is a story that actually took place in Stockholm in the mid-1970s. As a psychology major, I began to teach Yoga & Sex to psychology students from the university. One of my professors asked if I would give him private lessons—understandably not wanting to be in a class with his students. He came to the studio once a week.
    He was beyond stiff. He drank too much. He was impotent. He was a very unhappy person. When he walked, his groin seemed to disappear into the back of his thighs. His hips were hiding. His back was rounded. This was not going to be easy. This story is a good example of what can happen because of unresolved, deep-rooted emotional problems from the past.
    I could see enormous emotional problems just by what his body was unable to do. It was a direct response to something repetitive from his childhood—this much I knew intuitively. In the same way that repetitive motion can cause carpal tunnel syndrome, being hurt emotionally, over and over again, can change the natural structure of the body. The muscles respond to the repetitive emotions.
    [/quote]

Man, I LOVE yoga. I haven't been as steady with my practice as I like though. Thanks for making this thread! Another practice I have been practicing heavily is Qigong - specifically, a standing still form of Qigong called Zhan Zhuang, standing like a tree. Another means of balancing the energy and relaxing, opening up old energy channels.

If anyone is interested in this very effective practice: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg]Zhan zhuang ([/ame]

Thanks again for posting about yoga, again, I'm going to get back and start my practice again tomorrow morning, and great thread there DBV, going to use one of those classes for sure. Love trying new ones.

12. #12 DBV, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    I'm pretty sure most of the stuff in my thread I got from you.. the vid and site anyways so I owe you a big thanks for getting me started with great stuff!

13. I'm really not trying to be facetious, but I met a woman who could preform autocunnalingus thanks to yoga techniques. Seeing was believing in that case.

14. I kinda think I might wanna try yoga. This thread is basically what got me thinking about it. There seems to be this idea that it's a girl thing, but I don't really see why that would be true.

15. Of course it's not, most Master Yogi's are guys. Definitely give it a try :) I recommend it with all my joy.