Yoga

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by rwilliams, Oct 30, 2006.

1. I just had a very good conversation with a non-smoking friend. I told her about how I feel smoking helps me. How it helps me spiritually.... Helps me be more confortable with myself and find peace in myself while at the same time not make me completely forget about my problems, just make me look at them differently. And reflect on them. I tried to explain everything spiritual about cannabis to her. She told me about yoga. She told me about how everything I just descibed that cannabis does for me, that yoga will do that for me, if I let it, and she told me all about yoga and got me all excited about it.... I'm going to try yoga. There is a free trial class tonight. I am so excited :D I'm hoping this will help me during my dry periods so I don't constantly have to spend $50 a week on weed(a lot of times more when I smoke more than .5/day 3.5/week), and find something that helps me spiritually besides weed. Has anyone had any life changing yoga experiences?

2. is the class you're taking more streching or meditation oriented? Don't expect much except for flexibility in a "Yoga for Jocks" class (which is what I'll be taking soon)

It's cool how you have a friend there to help you and motivate you. Also I hear it's much better to learn yoga from a teacher than to take a few lessons and then rely on a book or video... some of the stances need a lot of guidance.

If you're interested there are many other ways to get yourself into an altered state of consciousness besides weed. Meditation/Visualization/Shamanic Drumming (never tried) can do that for you.

3. You mean like Matthew McConaghey:

Matthew McConaughey was arrested by Austin, Texas police in October 1999 and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia after a neighbor called to complain about music blaring from the actor's crib. When cops arrived, they found McConaughey dancing around in the buff and playing bongo drums.

<TABLE id=documentcontainer cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=prevtab></TD><TD id=document>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I feel better when I'm in shape...yoga helps you get in shape. I wouldn't expect a life changing experience, though, but what do I know, I'm a jock, lol...I just do it on my own though, I think it still classifies as yoga, though, I don't get into a trance, that's just stupid. duh...everyone knows you have to be religious to do that. oh shit. lol.

4. Didn't get out of it what I was hoping to. Oh well.

5. ^You just got to keep at it. My friends brother started doing yoga when he was seventeen. He said it was one of the greatest things he has done with his life.

6. yoga can really shift energy. clear blockages and so on.

7. I've been doing yoga and smoking weed for some time. I decided to combine the two. At first it was really hard because I wasn't focused on bretahing I was just focused on sounds I was hearing and shit. I found a great yoga spot it's like in a forest with a creek with a small waterfall and I just sit on some rocks and light a joint up and start meditating. I feel so free like my soul is traveling and it's getting excercise and after I'm done I feel so good...

8. you could try a martial art instead, like Tae Kwan Do or Jujitsu. they incorporate many yoga practices... so you're learning yoga, and how to do a flying kick.

proper breathing techniques learned in these classes can transfer over to everyday situations and help you gain control anywhere.

though i NEVER see anyone sitting in the lotus-position in lecture, or in a movie theatre! everyone has very poor posture...

9. I'm gonna have to disagree with that statement... Only for this reason... Regardless of what the focus of your yoga is, it's all designed to help improve your mental focus through the postures and breathing... Even if you're not into it for the meditation, the focus you have to have while performing the routine (whatever it may be) will sharpen you mentally as well as physically. It is a spiritual experience - regardless of whether it's the "Yoga for Jocks" kinda class...

You're not gonna really notice a change until you do it for a while. It's a gradual change as your mind, body, and spirit all start to center. I've done yoga for years (for a while I was doing it for 3 hours a day)... At first it felt like a bunch of stupid stretches... But I started noticing a change after a while (maybe a month or so is when I started noticing the change)... It's different for everyone... Stick it out for a while before writing it off. You may find yourself surprised.

10. I am a lot more flexible, and feel better. Gained a little sense of greater well being and self confidence...interpret that as you may. I guess that's sorta spiritual, but everything has it limitations in limitlessness I suppose...hahaha. So you get out of it, what you make of it...right?

11. though of course it's completely up to you, i strongly encourage you to give it more chances. i didn't get much out of tai chi the first few times i did it.

if you try it again, don't think of it as a replacement for anything, like weed. it's a different experience with different results, even if they seem similar. you can smoke bud and get something spiritual out of it immediately, but things like yoga you have to put more of yourself into it.