Yoda's Recirculating bubble Buckets

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Yoda, May 15, 2010.

1. Ccrx8- I'm liking the size of your closet you got going on. If you don't mind me asking what size is that?

2. #822 The Letter 3, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
    [quote name="sL0cH3At" post="19450551" timestamp="1391313821"]Ccrx8- I'm liking the size of your closet you got going on. If you don't mind me asking what size is that?[/quote] running a lighthouse hydrofarm tent 4x4x8. Tons of room for me!

3. I've run DWC and bubble buckets before, but not with re-circulation.  Both times I had problems with fungus and root rot.  I think one problem was i didn't use black buckets, but that aside, can you recommend something for temperature control, or do you think the re-circulation will help prevent fungus?  Also, (and I apologize if this has been covered earlier in the thread) but can you recommend anything better than a 400 W Sodium/MH bulb for this particular set-up (4-6 buckets)?

4. #824 thepurplem0nkey, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    First off, a huge THANK YOU to Yoda for the awesome post/posts. I have used a standard DWC method for my 4 previous grows, with MAJOR success the first time (I'm talking tree sized plants, about 3 ounces per plant….not bad for a first time grow), mediocre success the second time (temps too hot), and miserable failures (spider mites 3 weeks before harvest…AARRRGGGHHH) the third and fourth grows.

For my NEW grow, I finally broke down and bought one of those prefabricated grow tents (I love you ebay). It's nicely sized at 50 inches wide, 50 inches deep, and 7 feet tall.

That all said, this time I am building Yoda's recirculating system. My idea was to keep the reservoir on the outside of the tent so I could more easily control temps but also so I can adjust the pH at any time (I have odd working hours), weather the lights are on or off. Here's my problem:
    My grow tent is fantastic and has multiple vents and tubes for which to run exhaust/intake and tubes. The problem is, the lowest “hole” is about 8 inches off of the floor. I know that for this recirculating system to work, the buckets and the reservoir must be level. My first idea was to simply get 8 inch stands to place the buckets and the reservoir on top of the stands to level everything out, but now I'm thinking of something simpler.

Would this system STILL work if the buckets were raised higher than the reservoir? That is, if I raise the buckets high enough so the tubing reaches the opening, but leave the reservoir low (8 inches lower) on the ground, will the pump/gravity still operate like it's supposed to?

It's hard for me to picture this recirculating system working without actually seeing it in person and I am not mechanically skilled, so any advice on this would be appreciated. I want to avoid poking holes in my tent, but if that's what I must do I will.

EDIT: I just saw Philly's post a page or two back that explains why the buckets can't be higher than the resevoir. I guess I will have to raise the buckets and the resevoir if I don't want to be cutting holes into the side of the tent. Thanks for the great info, and please feel free to suggest ideas if you think of any.

EDIT #2: I'm almost done building the system, but I am having a hell of a time getting the 1/2 inch tubing through the grommets; they tend to cinch and are just a pain. I was thinking of using one of these: Rain Bird Landscape Dripline System 1/2-Inch Barbed Couplings (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK258K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). My plan was to situate these in the center of the grommet and just connect two hoses on either end. Would this work?

5. I'm just having a hell of a time getting the 1/2 inch tubing through the grommets. With the grommet situated in the bucket (3/4 paddle used to make the hole), I have to pinch the hose and work hard to get the hose through the grommets. The problem is, the pinch stays in the hose. I get air flow when I blow through the hose, but it is slightly clogged because of the "fold" in the hose. It is clogged equally at the top and bottom, so I am wondering if that will be a problem.

The hose does fit snugly...but without the need for pinching the hose...into the grommet when it is not in the bucket, so I think I need to make the holes in the bucket SLIGHTLY larger. The ONLY tool I did not have for this project that is on the list is a deburring tool and I believe that should solve the problem.
    -TPM

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you set the hosing in a warm area it gets a lot easier to put I n the elbows and into the grommets

7. CCRX8, thanks for the suggestion! I'll try boiling up some water and placing the ends of the tubes inside. Maybe that will help. If not, I'm getting a dremel tool and widening the holes a pinch. I'll post pics in this thread once I have the system completed.

TPM

8. #828 thepurplem0nkey, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
    CCRX8, I warmed a pot of water to boiling and dipped the hosing into it. Sure enough, it became very pliable. I still had the problem of the tube cinching, so I tried sticking the hard plastic 1/2 inch connectors I posted about earlier into the hot water and then the grommets. With some brute force, it popped in, so I did that to all of my buckets. I now have all of my hoses connected to the hose connectors which fit perfectly into the grommets. I have perfect air flow.

Everything is now set up and connected....all I have to do now is make a slit in the side of my tent, run the hoses through the slit,connect the hoses to my reservoir, do a test run, and if everything is kosher....go to the store and get some clones. I'll take a pic tomorrow of the system when it is complete. Kudos again to Yoda for posting the system design.

EDIT: I haven't forgotten to take a picture; I messed up when drilling my holes into my reservoir and have to get a new 18 gallon tote. I'm getting it in a few hours and then, hopefully, finishing this project.

-TPM

9. #829 thepurplem0nkey, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    As promised, here are pics of the system I built based on Yoda's design. The only thing I changed was I added 1/2 inch hard plastic hose connecters to act as a conduit to connect the hoses to the grommets. In other words, I did NOT run the hose straight through the bucket. I stuck a barbed plastic pipe connecter into the grommet, and connected the hose on either side of the plastic connector. I personally had a difficult time getting the hose through the grommets, and the hose wound up cinching. The plastic barbs weren't much easier to install, but once I stuck one end into some boiling water, it slid in a lot easier. All in all, I am extremely exited about this system, and I am proud of the effort it took to build it. I bet anyone with just a little experience and handyman skills could put this together in a few hours.

I added just a gallon or two of water to test for leaks: surprisingly, everything seems in order. Just in case, I wrapped a little metallic tape around my reservoir connectors. It felt horrible cutting  slits into the bottom of my tent, but they were small and the material s tough so I think some covering and reinforcement with metallic tape should do the trick. With the pup on, the water is slowly trickling in a the top, and I stuck my finger to feel the bottom pipes and there is a strong suction there. SO...it's working :)

I plan to wrap my buckets in car reflector material tomorrow, get my netpots, then get my babies. I am going to be doing a Lucas grow and will create a grow log when I begin.

EDIT: I started my grow log @ http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/1289374-strawberry-og-kush-400-watts-recirculating-dwc.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -TPM

10. Master Yoda, Awesome post, awesome job ,,,... Obviously I have not read every single post (patience is a virture I have yet to acquire much of!) .... Would using an external water pump (outside of the res, like a mag250/350) help to keep the nute solution cooler??  (without the added heat of the pump inside the res) Current Culture uses that kind of set up and reducing any heat in the res seems like a good idea....

11. When adding nutes and adjusting ph in the reservoir how long does it take mix with the water in the buckets? Do u get everything good in the rez then wait and check amd adjust if needed shortly after tjen keep checking tell it where it should be?

Also I think I over sized on the res. I got the 30 gal rubbermade and was planing 4 buckets. Is that over kill? Should I add more buckets?

Your help is greatly appreciated

12. #832 MIDLIFE, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    The bigger the res the more stable your ph should be.
    For topping up the res I
    Turn the pump off, adjust your nutes ,water , ph/EC. Then turn your pump on & let it run until your pump has circulated the total volume, then readjust the nutes, ph/EC

Keep the pump to a trickle or the return lines can block and don't let the nutes temp go above 65/68c max .

miđdy

13. when i germ the seed and pop it into half way the hydroton after germ, do i fill the netpot 1" below still? what if the pot gets too dry?

if i have the same setup, 18 gal inside the res as the same time as the buckets are filled? 

would i have to put 32gal worth of nute? im confused on how much water to put into the system 

14. Great post, enjoyed reading

15. Thanks fishing.. :wave:

16. Yoda !! wonderful to see you around it is..missed you have been

17. Thanks brother feels good being back, missed all you folks..

18. I'm here brother yoda

19. Hello yoda bubble buckets are a great thing especilly with winter coming up im gonna have to read through this to see if i can pick up any tips

20. Thanks for this Yoda. I'm going to build this set up next year if my soil vs hydro (with a single bucket) test goes in favour of the hydro....which it probably will if I believe what others say.