YO GC!! i need some help with my essay!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dan Gleesac, Jun 10, 2008.

1. some of you saw those two paragraphs i had written earlier well now heres the whole essay...theres only one problem i cant think of a good way to flow into a conclusion type paragraph....PLEASE help!!!!!

Try to imagine a world where thinking freely could get you killed. Try to put yourself into the shoes of a character like Guy Montag or John Preston, people who fought against their oppressive governments in an effort to win back that freedom. While these two men are protagonists in two different stories, Montag in the book Fahrenheit 451 and Preston in the movie Equilibrium. These stories although produced at very different times in history hold onto many of the same underlying themes. Both of the stories are set in a hellish future where people are not allowed books or artwork of any sort. Places where peoples right to think freely is taken away and they are forced to conform or face incineration. Faced with this choice both of these men chose to fight back and attempt to free everybody from the evil powers enforcing these laws.
    Guy, a fireman who's job it is to enforce the ban on books and John, a cleric who fights against all basic human emotions. While these two men come from very different stories set in somewhat different time periods, the evolution of how they came to fight back is extremely similar. For both of them it starts with the meeting of a woman. Guy meets a teenage girl one night coming home from work that teaches him to actually think about things. From this point on Guy's perspective is totally changed, he begins to question whether what he is doing is really right. It is from here on in he begins to look at the books he has been burning for the answer to a question he has never been asked. Soon he finds himself on the run and trying to find the underground he so recently was trying to destroy. The series of events surrounding John Preston's change happens when he truly gets the chance to think freely and feel when he too meets a woman. This woman is able to open his eyes so he can actually see the things he is doing. When he sees what he has done he immediately begins take down the government he had risen practically to the top of. He like Montag joins the resist he attempted to destroy and becomes their weapon against his former boss's.
    The governments that both Preston and Montag were working for were attempting much the same thing. They both attempted to keep their populations from thinking freely. However, each governments reasoning had a fundamental difference. The government or Father as it is in Equilibrium was trying to destroy all books and art for the world's protection. Father felt that these kinds of objects forced emotion, which was the basis of all evil in the world. Father thought that by eliminating the arts and the emotions they provoked he would be able to prevent future wars. In Equilibriums case the government had good intentions but their ways of enforcing it were cruel and inhumane. In Guy Montag's world things were totally different. The government in Fahrenheit 451 was destroying all books and arts so people would stop thinking and only listen to what the government was saying. They were doing this so the general population would become very docile and nonthreatening while the government could go out and start any war it wanted. They used firemen like Montag to burn all books discovered along with the houses they were found in and often times the people who were hiding them. Montag's government got almost all of its people to stop thinking for themselves by taking away literature like books, newspapers, and magazines and replacing them constant propaganda brainwashing. For both of these governments war played a very important roll in their seizing and maintaining power.
    For Father he was able to gain control shortly after a catastrophic third world war. He had the ability to maintain control by making it seem all he was doing was unifying the world and attempting to prevent future wars. He was trying to unify the country by brutally wiping out everybody who harbored contraband materials by using his police force headed by the protagonist, John Preston. This police force's only job is to hunt down people who would harbor any sort of contraband materials and kill the people and destroy any and all things banned under the law. The fire department that Montag is a part of is much less violent towards any individual caught reading or hiding books. They try to arrest people who have the books and only burn their home and the books. That may not seem less violent but to the firemen the life of the suspect actually matters.

2. I still thoroughly dislike the first sentence for some reason. It really turns me off to the whole thing. But other than that I like the rest. =|

3. its a really crazy thing to think about... i love to think crazy shit and speak my mind...if i could get killed for shit like that id have been killed so long ago