Yo dudes, I need some help.

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Kurt123, Dec 27, 2010.

1. What's up y'all? I am in the lengthy process of creating a perfect sploof. 'Perfect' as in 'you breathe smoke in to this device, and scentless air comes out the other end'. I'm so close to being able to reduce its size to something that could easily be concealed in a backpack (Pop Can Size). But I hit a snag in my designs.

So I beseech you, creative sploof users, what do you use to neutralize smoke and/or smell, and what's in it?

2. Well idk if your dead set on making a sploof because your not wanting to spend dough on one but you should check these out.. Pretty nifty, i'll prolly purchase one soon to smoke my new bubbler in my room so my rents will never know :D

Smokebuddy Personal Air Filter

3. #3 Kurt123, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
    Damn man, that's basically my idea right there. And I can tell you that it's about as good as you'll get, based on the size. I could probably reverse engineer it (Since I can pretty much already tell you what's inside), and sell it for $10 each.

But thanks a ton for the link!

If anyone has one of these that's all used up, and they were willing to send it my way, I'd gladly pay for shipping.

4. Anyone have some experience with these smokebuddies? how well do the work? Could i rip my bong in my room and get away with it or are they not that good?

5. Yeah that is what I was wondering? The link says its for tobacco use only. Just made me curious if it only filters tobacco or if it does both weed and tobacco.

6. Folks, cigs have a stank far worse than pot. If it works for tobacco, it'll work for pot.

I'm not giving up. I'm determined to make one that works better, for less.

7. Yeah one of my LHS's have been promoting those Carbon Air Filter's to college students in the dorm. I hear they work great and are worth the $6-$12 they cost. Hopefully you are already planning on carbon on the inside.

8. So, after a little tinkering, I hypothesize that the smokebuddy works well, but not perfectly. Here's my reasoning:

1) The smoke buddy is, as far as the internet can tell me, just a plastic tube with carbon foam jammed inside it.

2) My "I made this newer version just now" pop can design consists of Kleenex as a particulate filter, New Carbon Foam as tight as i can roll it, finished off with a HEPA H-13 Grade Filter. It works, but not perfectly. No smoke escapes, and the smell is reduced, but the device fails to eliminate all of the smell. I honestly believe smokebuddy is already at least half as complex as my latest prototype. And to me, it is not good enough, because I strive to remove ALL of the smell from the smoke, not just removing the smoke and SOME of the smell.

My standards are only the highest.

Remember folks, the smallest smoke particles make the smell. You can't see them, but it doesn't mean they're not there giving you away. Smoke Buddy is better than a sploof by far, but I think they gave up research and development far before they should have. This is all purely speculation, that is.

Oy! Did I mention I'm a smart kid? Yeah, I'm new here, and I know stuff about stuff and stuff. The name's Kurt, and I am a third year Mechanical Engineering student. I do things in my spare time, like glassblowing, forging, and generally inventing new and improved things.

9. Dude they'll work.. I'm just gonna save some time because its OBVIOUS the smoke buddy works i mean watch the youtube videos on it...

10. What Headshop has them in ks/mo?

11. NERD! lol jk bro but really watch the vids on youtube.. it eliminates everything

12. No, videos can't tell me what I want to know. I may just buy one to see what it's like.

13. A damned Canadian engineer haha.. Invest in one you might not try to make on yourself after experiencing a smokebuddy :wave:

14. My Girlfriend won't let me, I just spend $250 or so creating an aquarium ecosystem.

And I just spent another $20 she doesn't know about buying a heat gun for a new vap design. And I also don't have a job.

But I watched this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6ooC4Z3Dk]YouTube - Bootcamp-Product Review: Smoke Buddy[/ame]

And I have a few comments.
    1) "If you exhale slowly, you really can't see any smoke coming out". I was at the stage a year ago.
    2) The guy leaks smoke out in to the room accidentally after the first hit, so right off the bat the entire product review can be discounted.

Maybe my standards are too high.

15. They are because i did not see any smoke come out of it..

16. fill it with charcoal from a petstore/aquarium. its the same shizz

its failsafe

17. Allow me to rephrase.

Yes, there is no smoke coming out of the device. That does not mean no smell is coming out of the device. I'm sure everyone here is aware that you do not need to have smoke coming off of you in order to smell strongly of pot.

The point is that I am pretty sure I can make something better, for less. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it just most likely doesn't work perfectly.

See, I smoke in my room. My room does not have an intake vent, so all air that comes im to my room goes out under the door. A small amount of smell means that anyone outside my door smells a little bit of pot, which is enough to give me away.

Hopefully you guys understand my point of view now. Eh?