Yet another cloning question; soil or jiffy?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by auto146, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I have a mother plant that I have successfully cloned using an ez-cloner. The problem is that the ez-cloner is noisy and creates a lot of heat. I would like to find a cooler, quieter method.

I have bought some jiffy pellets and gave it a go. The first one I expanded, put some rooting hormone on and stuck my cutting in. After 21 days of almost nothing, I decided to pull it apart and see if any roots started. To my surprise there were two roots about 3/4" of an inch long in the peat. I put the cutting into some soil, but I don't think she'll make it.

I'm about to try again, but decided to measure some stuff first. I ph'ed some water to 6.7 and let the jiffy pellets soak overnight. The next day I measured the water and it was about 4! That seems like a problem to me. I ph'ed some water to almost 9 and let them soak. The ph doesn't seem to be rising, but I'm going to try it again anyway.

I'm going to also try soil. I'm going to try soil also. I'm going to mix 50% Fertilome, 30% FFOF and 20% perlite. I think I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

So my question. Does anyone have advice for using Jiffy Pellets or soil? These are my ONLY other options.

Some other info.

The strain is unknown however I believe it to be an Indica.

I will have the clones under 1 23w 2700k CFL at about 12 inches. I have more at hand. I also have a 175w MH and a 600w HPS, but I'm pretty sure I am not going to be using them for cloning.

Ambient temperature is 75-82.

I have superthive, powdered dolomite lime, blood meal, bone meal and Schultz Plant food concentrate 10-15-10.

Thanks in advance.

2. #2 Merciless, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
    Just get a jiffy humidity dome like this:
    [​IMG]

put your jiffy's in, use the rooting hormone, set your lights to 18/6, and you're good to go

Also, use PH 6.3-6.8 water, no need to get alarmed by the runoff water's PH as jiffys are acidic, your cuttings only stay in there for ~1-2 weeks anyways, PH will only be important once your plants are planted in soil