Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Yet Another Cannabutter Question (hopefully not a repeat!)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by blackdecker, May 11, 2010.

1. Is it possible to create cannabutter on lower heat for a longer time?

I need to be discreet, so I was wondering if I could put half a stick of butter into a coffeepot in my room, put 7-8 grams in it, then put it on a warming plate on a coffeemaker.
    The coffeemaker has a warming plate, so I was planning on letting the butter/pot mixture stay heated on that warming plate overnight. It's pretty hot, but I can't figure out what the exact temperature is. Trying to figure that out right now (I have no thermometer! :(). It is lower than 100* C, however, seeing as though coffee doesn't boil in the pot.*

According to this thread, decarboxylation occurs optimally at 106* C, but also occurs at a slower rate at lower temperatures. If this is true, then I should be able to make the cannabutter using my method, only it'll take longer, yes?

Sorry if I'm being ignorant. I did spend quite a bit of time trying to find information, but researching weed is so difficult. Everybody has different answers!

Thanks in advance,
    - Some Dreadlocked Asian Guy.

*I concluded that the warming plate only heats below 100 degrees Celsius because the water didn't boil, but I also noticed that when I poured water onto the plate directly, it boiled and evaporated immediately. The coffeepot likely keeps the temperature below 100 degrees via a metal ring circling around the pot, dispersing heat. I think the coffeepot reaches temperatures very close to 100* Celsius.

2. yes it will work on a lower heat for a longer period of time. however, figuring out the heat and exact time needed would take A LOT of trial and error. plus it wont work as well in general

3. #3 Carl Weathers, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    How big is your coffeepot? Because I can't imagine a stick of butter, 7-8 grams of weed along with the water will actually fit inside. Unless you're doing a pure butter and weed mix?

How often will you be able to stir this mixture?

You might be able to keep temperatures high by sealing the coffeepot, pressurizing it, and also insulating the walls of the coffeepot with something that's not going to start a fire. (Maybe enclose it with aluminium foil?).

It will probably work if you give it at least 12 hours and with a temperature at least higher than 80 degrees celcius.

A side note, just as a point of interest, I was reading that industrial decarboxylation of THCA can be performed at temperatures lower than 68 degrees celcius. Usually 10 hour reflux. However, it is performed in alkaline conditions. Something you can't really achieve with butter in the way.

4. I was gonna use 1/2 a stick of butter with no water (don't have time to chill the mix and take the butter out). Wasn't planning on stirring it very much at all, just leaving it heated for about 12 hours.
    Guess i may as well just try and see what happens...