Yet Another Ac Sploof...the Aquarium Siphon Sploof.

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by WookiesDoItBest, May 19, 2013.

1. #1 WookiesDoItBest, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
    Yet another varient on the activated carbon sploof.
    While I have one of the standard toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer sheets...In fact, it's one I've held onto for the better part of seven years now, and made "fancy" by weaving scrap copper wire over one end to hold the sheets in. I've been toying with the idea of a more durable, easy to manage, activated carbon sploof. That came to fruition this very evening.

For the fulfillment of it's amusement, utilitarian and sicko deviant pleasures, I now release upon the world, The Aquarium Siphon Sploof.
    View attachment 1211388
    jig.JPG

You're going to start out with the following:

Two Aqueon Siphon Vac Mini 5" aquarium siphon vaccums. (Suggest this brand because I know the barbed endcaps aren't epoxied on. Check yours if you buy a different make.)
    [​IMG]

One piece of mesh filter media. (Actually, in mine I used screen mesh, but that's a hardware store trip, and I'd like to keep this a one aisle solution in the aquarium section of a pet store.)
    [​IMG]

One jar of activated carbon pellets. (The following is not a brand endorsement, just an example. I actually used the store brand.)
    [​IMG]

The Build:

1. Remove the barbed endcap from both of your siphons.
              (The ones I bought wiggle off. Also, they built them with unidirectional flow valve flaps inside...weird. If you get those, you'll have to snap the flap off its hinge to allow dank flow into the barbed end. Use tweezers.)

2. Cut two pieces of mesh filter into circles sized to fit into the wide end of the barbed endcaps. Insert them into the endcaps. They should set inside flat like a coin, overlapping the holes.

3. Rinse your activated charcoal pellets to remove dust and get them ready to absorb incriminating particulate matter.

4. Put an endcap back onto one of the siphon bodies. Fill the body with carbon pellets, leaving just enough room for the other endcap to seat fully. Apply the second endcap to the open end of the siphon body. Shake (If it rattles, add more pellets.)

5. Cut a few inches from one piece of tubing. This will be the end you blow into. Attach it to one of the barbs.

6. (Optional) Attach the other unaltered piece of tubing to the other barb. You can use this to route exhaust out of a window or something. Otherwise, feel free to leave the other barb bare. This would lend itself to being a relatively pocket sized travel sploof that won't bend, crush or fall apart.

7. You built it....take it for a test run.

Build considerations:
    I chose this size siphon because it was the smallest they carried that held what I eyeballed to be a preferable amount of carbon pellets. It is sleek, and lends itself well to pocket or purse carry if desired, and being about as discreet as a sploof can be. However, it is not of a volume or input size to allow one to cough comfortably, if at all, into it if needed. You'll have to stay within your own limits as far as what size hits you take. Otherwise, you'll have to pick a less discrete size. The store will probably think you're crazy if you decide to test the cough absorption properties of their aquarium siphons.

2. GC......quit fucking up my posts and deleting my attached photos. It screws up the tutorial....jagoffs.