yerba mate

Discussion in 'General' started by lil_poot, Mar 24, 2008.

1. i was out smoking my new waterfall i made and was thinking about this tea i used to drink a few years ago and i remembered the name for it it is called yerba mate it is a tea from brazil. you need a Gourd and a straw with a filter on it (Bombilla). it is supposed to be really healthy for you and it is drank just like we smoke. it is drank in "sessions" the first person fills the gourd 2/3 the way full with the yerba mate then some cold water the first person drinks refills with water and passes it. it is a really tasty drink for when your smoking.

here is some info on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

and a place to order all the stuff you need
    http://www.yerbamateteagourd.com/index.php

ps im really stoned and tired so this is really random.

pss i am thinking about ordering a kilo of this and if any one wants it ill send you a free sample fi you would like to try it.

2. I have heard of it, and I think i still have some laying around here somewhere. Ill have to brew some up with ya :D

3. i found my gourd but i cant find my bombilla

4. Oh man, yerba mate is the best! yerbamatecafe.biz is my favorite online retailer of mate. It's such a delicious, healthful drink! And sharing it with friends is the best!

I'd have to say Union is my favorite brand, but I also like the burly-as-hell Rosamonte--it'll put hair on your chest!

My favorite way to drink mate is with friends. I add about a tablespoon of sugar to a 1L thermos flask of hot (NOT boiling) water. Always pre-wet the dry mate with cold water, and suck through the bombilla to ensure the mate is damp, not soaking. Pre-wetting with cold water ensures a smooth, quality beverage. Even settling the dry mate into the cup and adding the bombilla has its own technique (google it!).

If I'm preparing mate, I'll drink the first cup (to ensure quality!), then top it off with hot water, hand to a friend, and enjoy the camaraderie!

edited: cos it's camaraderie, not cameraderie. :)