Yellowing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GrowinItFrench, Jan 25, 2013.

1. So I've got a young plant that's had a hard life that I just managed to get back on track after burying a good 1/2 to 3/4 of its stem because of the large amount of stretching it did. My question is.. What's with this yellowing at the tips of the leafs? It's also starting to occur on the new growth, and I'm a little bit concerned because there's nothing in its environment that could be causing it, temps are good, humidity is good, moisture is also good, so what's going on? Here's some pictures to help!
    (First picture is of the plant I've been noticing it on, second picture is a plant of the same strain, and age)

Attached Files:

2. What type of soil? How often do you water? What's the pH of the water you use, and the pH of the runoff?

3. I water whenever I feel that their containers have become light in weight, I haven't checked any of the PH because I don't have tests other than the ones for a pool because what do you know there's a pool in the backyard aha.. But the soil is what I used last year, Miracle Gro Seed Starter + Perlite + Horbitec Organic Mix!

4. Its usually from overwatering

5. That's what I'm thinking^

How many times do you water in days. Everyday, every 2-3 days?

I'd at least try to pick up the cheap horticulture pH tests, and check your pH to ensure it's in the correct range for soil

6. Usually every two days but ever since I put them under my new lighting "contraption" they've been drying out pretty quickly imo..

7. I'd let them go for 3 days if you can, the roots need oxygen.

What is your new lighting 'contraption'?

8. This is my new lighting contraption.. Extremely makeshift but I'm not much of an indoor grower to begin with!

Attached Files:

9. get the lights closer, water less. also remove the lights on the sides as long as theyre not needed. prepare to crank the lights way up for flowering, you need something like 100w for one plant and 50w more for each additional plant.

10. One of my buddies had something like that going on, it didn't work.

Try to get all of the bulbs right over the plants about 2-4 inches away from the tops. Put a fan in so that it blows on your plant and on the bulbs to help with heat

11. They will be going outdoors for flowering they're just being started indoors..

12. Well if you want them to have a good start outdoors you have to adjust the indoor setup

13. #13 baumeister, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    make that 1 inch and the fan blowing right at the light. anything above 1.5 or 2 inches is likely to still result in stretching. a fan blowing right at the light is gonna cool it down pretty much to the temperature of the surrounding air.
    then you just gotta adjust the position of the seedlings so theyre just below the stream of air. theyll still be moving, but wont have their leaves folded away from the lights cuz the wind is pushing too hard.
    since theyre already stretched youre probably gonna have to add some kind of support for those seedlings (more soil, bent paperclip mini-stake, stuff liek that) for a week or two until they develop stronger stems. be careful, bad support constructions can harm the seedlings if they fall over and shit.

14. Eh 1 inch can get dangerous. With smaller wattages I recommend two inches, no stretch will occur if they are 2 inches away. Higher wattages like 40-60w I recommend 3-4". Remember they grow, you don't want to wake up or check your plants after a day or two to find they grew into the lights

15. #15 GrowinItFrench, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    I tried to explain to my buddy who's a "licensed electrician" how I wanted it built, a rectangular structure built using PVC with adjustable clamps on each side, it would also have to have Y-Splitters which were purchased as you can see in the picture. I give him a $200 budget to see what he can go do at the closest Home Depot and what does he do? He royally screws the pooch.

16. Just get a few clamp reflectors at a local hardware store for your y-splitters

17. If it were that simple I would but I would have to disassemble this complete DIY light, he had even grounded the lights etc, so disassembling it would honestly be way more effort than it's actually worth. I had attempted to buy a grow light off a dealer I had back in highschool, it was a MH, but of course he hasn't even received his G1 yet and uses transit to get from city to city until the night I was expecting the light, turns out he got pulled over two streets away from my location with 8 seedlings, 3 clones, and the grow light in the back of his sisters van which was soon after impounded.

18. if theres a decent fan blowing right at the lights, then its fine for the plants to grow into them. the wind would trouble them, but they wouldnt get burnt. yeah 2 inches are probably fine, but I would try more than that with those lights... theyre 23w ones, arent they?

19. Can you remove the 4 middle bulbs and replace them with 40w actual bulbs?

20. For some reason everywhere I look I cannot find any CFL's that are over 30 actual watts. I live in Canada and apparently that means I'm limited for some reason. I'd order them online if it were an option..