Yellowing on tips of leaves and lower leaves falling off (photos)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Muzt4nG, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Hey :)

My grow setup:

Indoor tent 30" Wide x 18" Deep x 36" High mylar walls
    FloraGard soil 100%
    1 300W GalaxyHydro LED + 2 24w CFLs , at about 6 inches from the plants.
    gave them 1 7 gram feeding of granular nutes with 12% nitrogen11% phosphorus 18% K2O potassium oxide, switched to General Hydroponics GO Box, currently using half of recommended dosages for vegging state, have fed them 2 times now with nutes and 1 with plain water. Up until a week ago started using tap water left to dechlorinate as it seems it's best for the nutes and the plants.

I'm not sure if my plant is starting to flower and that is why it seems there's nutes issues or maybe it got overfed after the granular kicked in and I fed it with GO box. The other plant on the side is edefinetely not flowering and losing lower leaves really quickly, but instead of yellowing they just dry off and fall. Plants were looking good until this point, please help!

PD: it seems some of the hairs on my main cola are darkening to amber.. check the full res pics. Your help is deeply appreciated.

2. You don't really have anything serious going on here with your plant. More than likely, your problems are coming from the soil you're using to grow in and the fact that it is way too dense. Looks like really good soil, but it's the lack of drainage that is the issue. These plants need a very light arid soil for super ease of drainage. This allows the roots to extend through the media easily and form a larger root ball and stronger, healthier plant. The arid soil allows the plant to retain the moisture it needs and the rest to drain through. You need to amend the soil next time to a 60/40 soil/perlite mix...and even 70/30 is fine. A very dense soil will just hold water like a sponge and these plants do not like to have their roots sitting in moisture all the time. So, even though you might not have over watered, the plant would've done better with a lighter soil mix. If you can manage it, try some true formulated grow soil with your next grow. The stuff is worth every cent they charge for it, if you ask me. I'm sure a home made true organic soil would be the absolute best, but I don't have the time nor the desire to go to all the trouble and expense of procuring all the different ingredients and then going through the process of creating the mix you need. We've used Roots Organics Original since we started. It's insanely expensive, but considering the fact that it does 80% of the work for me and I end up with a pretty easy time growing them and beautiful buds on the back end, I don't mind. So, get yourself a proper mixture with the soil next time and always be sure to let them almost totally dry out between watering or feeds. When you use a proper soil, the soil does the majority of the feeding for you. Knowing how to pot your plants to take advantage of the soil will cut out any nutes during almost the whole veg cycle...assuming you've got proper lighting, etc., on the setup end of things. Manage the pH of the water you give and feeds...soil range is 6.3 to 6.7. This keeps the roots of your plant (which are the most important thing about the plant because it's the nerve center or brain of the whole operation) happy and open so they can accept water and food when they need it. Extended watering out of range will lock up the roots of a plant. Some strains are more sensitive to others, but it is always a good idea to make sure your pH is within range. The instrument you use to check the numbers with is a big deal too. The cheap strip kits are doable though the range you're shooting for is so tight that it's always been to iffy for me. The cheap digital testers aren't worth even stopping to look at. To get a good quality tester that you know will give you correct readings, you're going to have to spend at least 60-80$...but like the soil, it's important and you can spend the money once and have an instrument that will work and will last or you can spend it over time replacing cheap equipment that doesn't work right. As the plant matures in the flowering cycle, it will stop sending nutrition to the leaves and put all it's energy into finishing off the buds, so having leaves die off isn't such a big deal. Judge the overall health of the plant by the new growth. If the new growth is coming out funky colored or weird in any way, you've got an issue. If problems are occurring on old growth, no big deal. Go to the forums page here and go to the bottom to the "beginner grower" threads. Read the "sticky's" posted at the top of the page as they contain the very basic info you'll need on "how to grow a plant and keep it alive." LOL There are basics that will make everything go better and the more you know, the better plants you can grow. There is a learning curve for everyone when first starting out. The more proactive you are in furthering your grow education, the better outcome you get faster. But the most important thing I can tell you is not to skimp on your lighting. It is THE most important piece of equipment in your grow setup and the size of the plant and the number and quality of the buds you harvest is totally dependent on it. Don't try to grow under weak lighting and don't overcrowd the lighting you do have. You can always harvest more off one plant that is properly tended and given adequate lighting and grow conditions than you can by trying to grow 4 in the same space. You have to be realistic about how many plants each light can grow off and do it right. The more light, the better plants and buds you get. Good luck. TWW

3. Thanks for your reply!

I dug some holes into the ground with a pen to increase the permeability of the soil, this tricked has worked for me before so I hope it helps with this! I'll make sure to get some perlite for my next mix. For PH and Moisture levels I was thinking of gettin this meter:

Do you think it's crap? If so, can you recommend a better one?

I've been reading all the stickys I can and it's really helpful. Do you think i should switch to a flowring feeding? it seems everyone here says their plants beggin to flower when they have way fewer hairs than mine lol

Thanks in advance

4. Over heard a lot of good things about the general hydroponics pH control kit that has the the ph up and down its not super accurate but as long as your within 6.0 and 7.0 you should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Hi everyone

This has got a lot worse. Now the whole plant is looking bad and more leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. Nutes don't seem to be helping. I've stopped watering in case it's over watering but now I have no idea what to do :S