Yellowing New Leaves, Inside Out???

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by kid_sublime, Aug 31, 2009.

1. well the first plants is a norther lights clone i got from a friend, it is lst'ed along with another bagseed plant done the same way. up until last week i was giving them 8-7-6 MG generic houseplant ferts at 1.2ml per gallon and they were doing good. i was also feeding superthrive at 1.2ml per gallon as suggested. not thinking i never checked the ph of either solution because everything was ok. furthermore, i never gave fresh plain ph'ed water anywhere in between. when i realized what i was doing i decided to give them a good flush with about half a gallon of regular tap water. ever since they have both been turning yellow more and more everday.

im just not sure if i should try flushing more? put the nutes back? was a half gallon even considered a flush?
    tomorrow i will post the runoff ph

temps in 75-83 range
    rh ~ 35-50%
    400 watt hps conv. for MH ballast
    4'x4'x7' hydro hut

help people, im 2 weeks into flowering!

Attached Files:

2. well, some lightening of the leaves around the bud sites is perfectly normal if you switch to flowering, the one in pic 2 actually looks quite good...
    have you checked your tapwater pH before the flush? some tap comes in pH around 8 or even higher, depending where you live...
    the one in pic 1 however does look a bit too much yellowy, so i'd check the tap and runoff pH and if both of them are ok i'd slowly start giving nutes again

3. yea my tap water tests right about 7, it may just be the camera because they are both pretty much the same yellow. i didnt even consider that flowering alone would cause some of the discoloration. i think i'm going to give one more healthy shot of 6.5ph'ed water, test the runoff and then hopefully be putting in some bloom nutes
    thanks for the info kerenski! keep tokin'!!!!:smoke:

4. you're welcome... good luck with those babies:smoke:

5. Definitely test the run off.. looks like P def and either a zinc or iron def. starting on the tops, so the ph is probably off.

6. i checked the runoff today and it was between 6 and 6.5, this should be good right? im going to let them dry out a bit and then give a dose of bloom nutse 1-5-4 and take it from there. thanks for the help peeps, i'll let ya know how it turns out

7. You may want it a little higher, say more around 6.5-6.8, otherwise I think lower than 6.5 and it locks out some nutrients. I read that somewhere on this forum.

8. there ya go ;)

[​IMG]

9. yo that is sweet, bookmarked thanks :D

in other news, the yellow leaves are here to stay i think. im pretty sure they're never gonna be green again, but im hoping the new growth will be. currently they are still drying out. i think they really need a shot of nutes but it sucks having to wait. i think it was a combination of switching over from my closet to my new tent. i had to go from my hps, to my t8 flouro and then back to the hps. also temps are running perfect in my tent as apposed to 85-90 sometimes in my closet. could this have caused the yellow? we shall find out but im thinking that it was all a culmination of factors

thanks for everyone's help! :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:

10. Add Epsom salt and find fertilizer with less nitrogen in it. The discoloration on top is most likely Sulfate deficiency. The slight cupping downwards is probably from excessive Nitrogen but could be excess salts in general. The fishboning veins on the bottom is probably a combination deficiency of Potassium and Magnesium. These three deficiencies are probably being aggrevated by the excess Nitrogen and deficient Postassium then coming soon, Phospherous.

Id transplant into larger containers and add some limestone to the media. Use 20-20-20 during early flower (first 2-3 weeks). Then switch to something like 10-50-10 or 10- 50-20. During flower you want more Phospherous then Potassium and the least amount of Nitrogen. Add 1/2 tsp Epsom salt every time you fert untill the last couple weeks of flower. You could just transplant into some media with organic bulb fertilizer and add some epsom salt every once and a while. That might be easier.

11. should i just mix the salt right into my gallon mix of ferts? will this change my ph? i will definitely re pot both plants in the coming weekend as it seems like a good idea anyway. im sure its something i am doing because both plants have grown completely different the entire time, but are both yellow. +rep, i will post a couple more pics tomorrow. the buds are still growing :hello:

thanks bongstar

12. Pic 2 is def a sulfur lockout/deficiency.

13. If you mean Epsom salt. Yes. Just put it in with your other ferts. Epsom salt is neutral in Ph. I never worry about the Ph of my ferts cause I always apply the fert when I mix it. Limestone will stablize the media around 6.5-7 unless you really screw things up. I never do Ph testing, though I have had too low of Ph happen from not enough Limestone and too much Urea (Urea releases H+ ions).