Yellowing Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SteveyG4, Aug 20, 2012.

1. One for sure is root bound and probably needing water every day. You could easily pop her out intact and set her in a 5 gallon pot and add dirt, if you need more time between watering. When you water a root bound plant much of the water runs off before she soaks it up so take that into account when you decide. If she has dirt space that situation won't be so much of a problem.

Now they look a bit food starved too. After you water well in the evening give them each a quart of half strength nutes with some N but not the biggest # P should be your largest # and K should be equal or slightly less than P. A flowering food containing N in other words.

2. Which one is root bound? The one with more yellow leaves? And can i use miracle grow flowering food? Or should i find something else?

3. yep the first one.
    Be sure to squeeze the pot so the root ball lets go and comes out whole. If you have an old 5 gallon grow pot around that would be great and the best for now imo.
    just lift her up and over and tamp in the dirt around her good and soak her down. Don't water again til she needs it and feed in a day or 2. Just one quart while she's adjusting then 2 quarts will be the best dose for 5 gallon on a 2 week schedule til most of the pistils start turning brown. I usually quit then.
    You can do fine w/the Miracle grow for your first time. Use half strength for now.

4. Sounds good. Thank you.

5. here is a guy who mixes it by the pot.
    so if you grow on a small scale and have these things about it is something you can mix as you need recipe. This is papa wayne, he comes to my page and you can find his link there.

NEW MIX: makes 4 gals - about right for a SIP

12 cups sphagnum peat moss
    12 cups perlite
    6 cups compost
    6 cups worm castings

1/2 cup kelp meal
    1/2 cup alfalfa meal
    1/2 cup Neem meal
    6 Tbsp Granular humate
    1 Tbsp Soft Rock Phosphate
    1 Tbsp Sul-Po-Mag

1/2 cup lime
    1/2 cup gypsum
    2 cups Glacial rock dust
    1 cup of different clays (montmorillonite, azomite, rare earth)

6. Do you think compost soil, perlite, spagnum peat moss, little sand, and maybe worm castings would be good?

7. That is a good base mix. Don't forget the lime.
    Just a note that it is a good idea while you are learning... to add the perlite last and a little at a time. Too much is hard to undo. It should also be geared to whether you are growing inside or outside. Inside you may want to help it dry out a little quicker by having a little more perlite, but outside you will want to slow down the drying out process.
    Also, Keep a bag of castings around all the time it is a good healing agent and handy to have around especially later when they are getting tighter roots and top heavy.
    Now that you have a soil base you have to decide on the soil life and how you want to go about achieving that and what you can afford and what you have the time and inclination to do. Everyone has their own way so be realistic. Buy this buy that you must this you must that, there are a hundred ways to go about it all. Only you know what you will or will not do, what you can or cannot afford, the time available to invest and the willingness to invest it.
    The nutrients must be balanced come from more than one source preferably if you add them to the soil base. Then you build the support system that others can better explain, but it is microbes and such that break down nutes for better uptake by the plant. The soil is alive and active.
    Or you can find a good quality bottled product and use that. My friend Skinnybigbuds growing in a closet liked the organic idea and didn't want the mess of it all so he bought an organic soil mix, I think the true blue stuff has an OMRI rating or some such, then got a system that he mixed for the ewc teas and followed the directions to the T with beautiful results. If you read his thread you will see where he made those decisions and what soil he used and likely the product as well.
    Papa Wayne is doing organic SIP pots with the mix I shared with you from his page. His results are remarkable beauties. I think the soil mix link I left for Papas page is G's mix he posted over there. He uses his used soil because it is still good and already alive, but then adds new fresh soil for longevity. The natural amendments are slower releasing and last years in some cases. I do that cause I recycle soil over a long period of time.
    How big do you want to get? There is guys with 10' trees.:D

8. #89 SteveyG4, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012

So today i went to four different places looking fo wormcastings, none had it or knew where to get it. And im confused on what kind of lime to use.

9. #90 fayn2madness, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012

I found wormcastings on craigslist and sometimes I find stuff like that in the State Market Bulletin for farmers. Farmers get free or cheap classified advertising in the State farmers bulletin put out by the Ag dept.
    There are also fishing supply stores who may give you the name of the person supplying their red worms. Some guys like my friend DumDumDummy who make their own worm bins. He is very helpful if you ask him what he does. You can buy the worms online to get your own started and just buy it the first time. How many gals are you going to grow? Don't forget the feed stores. They know the local farmers and people who are working the land and so may know a source for worms or castings. Also if you go to horse farms and ask for composted horse manure, find where it has been there a long time, lots of times there is an area of the pile where the worms move in and you can see the castings piles. If you do get some buckets of the horse manure make certain it is well composted so you will not see oats in the waste. Horses pass full oats that will sprout, their stomachs do not process everything the way cows or chickens do so be sure to get the stuff that's been around a long time. If there is an area in your yard where you know the worms hang out that would be a good place to start a pile to process.

Use dolomite lime I think. Do a search for posts in the organic section, lime
    be sure to check the "posts" box cause it can be anywhere when you check the "thread" box

10. It might be a little while till i can find worm castings, and maybe even the lime. Should i just do without so the plant doesnt get worse? I also got a fertilizer that is 15-30-15. It was the one with the lowest N i could find.

11. #92 fayn2madness, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
    She is mostly just doing what they do at this time in their life. Just use the dirt you have if she is so rootbound you can't keep her watered. Get her fed and see how she does in a few days. I thought you understood me when I suggested to study up on the soild mixes. She's a nice lil gal and you have no shame. She's doing fine.
    When you are studying for your next grow and getting the ingredients together, Lowes has lime in the grass area? It buffers the soil to keep the ph steady. You can search all of these key words but look for them in posts. Someone may have a question and your answer will be there. Make sure they answer comes from someone who can grow and can prove it. Not by what they say but what you see when you search their posts.
    I think for this gal you should just grow her out in what you have on hand while you study up on this stuff. I used miracle grow for years and some of my best grows were in that soil.
    The soil mix takes time. You need to understand what you are up to when you mix a soil. It also needs to sit for some weeks after it's mixed though I don't always do that.
    We can get you through a grow with what you have. Just feed her if she needs it and since she's in a pot use 1/2 strength. If she needs repotting just stick to what you have on hand she's not going to be long so just continue as you are with her and plan the soil etc for the next time.

All of us have trouble finding some of these products and we gather them over time as we see them or find sources. Any source can also disappear so we are always noting things like what we want or can use in our soil. As to nursery supplies, I find the small community mom and pop greenhouses and nurseries to have more of what we use. This is old school farmer stuff.

12. Okay thank you very much. But i think i will repot her since you said she was rooted.

13. So i checked my plants today, and they got even worse. I need to know if you think i should transplant them into bigger pots, with compost, sphagnum peat moss, and perlit, or should i just start feeding them. I need to do something fast.

14. I think you should have fed them a while ago, I thought you did. are you getting them good and wet?
    If they are in 3 gal pots (10") give them a quart of half strength solution. If they are in 8" same, If they are in 5 gal (12") give them 2 quarts.
    Only do this after they are well watered as we discussed.

I thought you said you had miracle grow soil. If you do repot with that. If you only have peat. Add perlite and sand and repot in that without disturbing the roots if you can. Don't wait any more.

15. I had to find the right fertilizer. A lot of places stopped carrying it for this time of year. Same with the miracle grow. Remember, its hard to find certain things in a small town.

16. Moving indoors. Need help, tips, suggestions, anything to get started.