Yellowing Leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SteveyG4, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Any hydro store that guy works at a hydro store that promotes that brand and believes the hype. He tries to sell it everywhere he goes. You can make it work without spending tons of $$$ if you don't have it. You can finish with what you have and do fine. Work through this first one and learn all the while preparing for the next. The miracle grow does have Osmocote and other ferts in them but the balance isn't for pot.
    Wanna mix, want real nutes and not poison? Study and make your own, go organic.
    Look at what G45 and Possum38 and their buddies are doing. You will be very impressed.
    I have another link that has no pictures and the worded descriptions are excellent but I can't find it. If I do I will post it here or on your Profile page.
    I saw the tag on the link and made a note to read because to be honest a lot of times the problems are caused not by "not enough" but one can affect the other. Especially with a lot of rain or heavy watering some get washed out (sulfer or N) others get locked out (Iron). Do you have a water softener? If you do it's Iron lock out. It can be quite confusing and we can tell you and show you lots but in the end your steps and your circumstances and the shuffle that caused in the nute supply availability or not, is what will tell you. We don't have all that info obviously and can only guess. I can honestly say this, you can solve your problems with a solution, but if you don't know what works or why you cannot avoid it in the future.
    Keep in mind also your damage doesn't show for a few days so this happened or started days ago. It may be resolved if it isn't progressing day to day. Also when you treat you need a few days for it to show improvement before you know your actions worked. It's rarely dire sometimes it is but this isn't you have time and you are learning and growing with your plants.

What are you using and what are the numbers and what do you have laying around?

I just looked and I think if you take your miracle grow dirt. Add a handful of Alfalfa and a handfull of kelp and add a 6" pot of perlite (lowes walmart no matter who makes it it's the same) mix well. I don't like the looks of the soils compaction so the soil you got looks like a lawn soil supplement. You can make it more pot friendly by adding the perlite and a small amount of builders or play sand. Then repot to an 8" growers ugly black pot unless you don't mind it taking a long time to dry out.
    You could use fish emulsion to supplement the osmocote they used in the soil cause the additives won't be immediately available for quite some time, the plant may be finished.

Lots to say but I hope it helps. Good luck:smoke:

2. small town?
    the feed store is your best friend when you go organic and make your own for on the cheap water only grow.

3. [quote name='"SteveyG4"']Well i live in a small town, so i might have some problems finding that. And ive never tested the ph. Will the trio treat the other problems fayn said i have?[/quote]

A ph testing kit man? Like ph paper? You can even order off amazon! Just test the runoff water that comes out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot with the ph paper. I think the ph is why your leaves are starting to twist a bit.

4. [quote name='"fayn2madness"']

Any hydro store that guy works at a hydro store that promotes that brand and believes the hype. He tries to sell it everywhere he goes. You can make it work without spending tons of $$$ if you don't have it. You can finish with what you have and do fine. Work through this first one and learn all the while preparing for the next. The miracle grow does have Osmocote and other ferts in them but the balance isn't for pot.
    Wanna mix, want real nutes and not poison? Study and make your own, go organic.
    Look at what G45 and Possum38 and their buddies are doing. You will be very impressed.
    I have another link that has no pictures and the worded descriptions are excellent but I can't find it. If I do I will post it here or on your Profile page.
    I saw the tag on the link and made a note to read because to be honest a lot of times the problems are caused not by "not enough" but one can affect the other. Especially with a lot of rain or heavy watering some get washed out (sulfer or N) others get locked out (Iron). Do you have a water softener? If you do it's Iron lock out. It can be quite confusing and we can tell you and show you lots but in the end your steps and your circumstances and the shuffle that caused in the nute supply availability or not, is what will tell you. We don't have all that info obviously and can only guess. I can honestly say this, you can solve your problems with a solution, but if you don't know what works or why you cannot avoid it in the future.
    Keep in mind also your damage doesn't show for a few days so this happened or started days ago. It may be resolved if it isn't progressing day to day. Also when you treat you need a few days for it to show improvement before you know your actions worked. It's rarely dire sometimes it is but this isn't you have time and you are learning and growing with your plants.

What are you using and what are the numbers and what do you have laying around?

I just looked and I think if you take your miracle grow dirt. Add a handful of Alfalfa and a handfull of kelp and add a 6" pot of perlite (lowes walmart no matter who makes it it's the same) mix well. I don't like the looks of the soils compaction so the soil you got looks like a lawn soil supplement. You can make it more pot friendly by adding the perlite and a small amount of builders or play sand. Then repot to an 8" growers ugly black pot unless you don't mind it taking a long time to dry out.
    You could use fish emulsion to supplement the osmocote they used in the soil cause the additives won't be immediately available for quite some time, the plant may be finished.

Lots to say but I hope it helps. Good luck:smoke:[/quote]

Lol wow. Stalking me much. Those nutes are what I use for my first few grows and it's pretty hard to burn your plants with them. Which is why I recommended them to a beginner. Get off my dick mane. :p. but I do agree with some of the stuff you said. But deff not the poison part you're trippin. And don't go buy any kind of perlite like he said most of them at Walmart or lowes have time released ferts that can burn your plant. And he said I recommend poison! And yes I do recommend fox farm products to a lot of beginners because it seems to be easiest for them. Look up any other kid or nutes doesn't have to be fox far it could be micro nutes. But the big bloom in fox farm is somewhat all organic and low NPK. So

5. The purple new growth May because the cold nights are locking out potassium

6. Is that the best way to fix it? I dont know if i trust myself with depotting the plants to fix the dirt. Is there anything i can just add to the water? I dont have a water softener. Just city water. And im pretty willing to spend some money. But I dont feel like sending fifty bucks on ferts that may not work, and if they do will only be used for the short time the plants have left. So i think fox farm is out? Also my mom is a fantastic gardener, but cant know about this so a cant ask her advice, but she may have some helpful things in the shed. Anything i should look for? Its hard to do this on my own. I may need to come back to you for tips next season. Oh and one more thing, the miracle grow soil has perlite in it, but when i was told to fill the pot with more dirt i just added about 2" of potting soil the didnt have perlite in it.

7. #27 fayn2madness, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    Who's threads have you been following? If you follow someone and ask advice be certain they can show you what they do. Start here, this guy is very good and he keeps it simple. Meet SG1
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...row-advice-member-cheap-old-basterd-club.html

In the mean time see if your mom has a balanced fertilizer where the largest number is the first # is the N # 2nd is the Phosphorous 3rd# is the Potassium. Read about what they do for the plant, when needed and how they work. There should be micro nutes in the mix too. Learn to read the labels. Get one and study the links I sent you. If she has some miracle grow for tomatoes is high in N or a balanced food laying around use that at 1/2 strength and only put a quart to a 3 gallon pot when the plant is good and wet just before she goes to bed. This will get her healthy. Do not feed in hot sun.
    What size pot is she in? A 3 gallon holds 3 heaping shovels of dirt. I generally refer to this as a square foot but it is in fact a bit less.
    It wasn't a good thing to add the dirt to the potting soil. If it had been compost or worm castings that would have been better.
    In fact if you have access to worm castings you will never need to ph. SG explains all that in his thread and he will help you no matter the method you choose. You can also put a handful of the worm castings in a bucket in the sun let it sit a day or two and add a couple tablespoons of honey or aloe juice and have a great tea to balance ph and get active soil. I throw kelp and alfalfa in mine too. The alfalfa is in the rabbit section or horse section, rabbit is smaller and cheaper. Kelp is in the fish section or at the feed store. Alfalfa too. I made a stinky tea with a fist full of alfalfa and that stuff greened up my plants in one day! Smells like puke though.
    It aggravates me to no end and sometimes I lose patience with it that someone asks for help then rather than help they get told to buy 20 different products instead of helping them learn how to deal with problems they have. People need help not a product. :devious:
    I really think to repot is your best bet and get the soil you have better conditioned to grow the pot. SG talks about that too. lots of reading over there so use the search on his thread for what you want to know. It's all there a thousand times probably.
    You also might want to get some kind of hobby plants going (tomatoes? something your mom doesn't grow) to keep suspicion away. It better look great too or she will know something is up. We know when someone has been in our stuff. Especially if we are gardeners.:D
    You can contact me if you need to. I have helped a few guys and some very inexperienced but I think SG will have more for you just now.
    It is very easy to repot your plant and especially as young as yours is, I would highly recommend it.

8. #28 dionysus4, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    hi guys, interesting thread here i have been following, thanks to everyone for their info so far.

My plant has been experiencing similar problems but their is a tweak and i wanted to share so that i could get your views.

So my little baby was looking exactly like your leaves do and i didnt know what to do about it, im growing bubbleponics(first time grow) and was using like...1/8 recommended dose of my plant food(terra vega by canna) i stressed a bit and read a shit load and decided it had too be a nute problem, uped my nutes nothing happened. upped my nutes agian in about 3 days(changed the resevour) and still nothing. more reading and thought to lower my ph, was around 6.5 took it down to like 6ish, WOWZER! dark green all over within 24 hours. ridiculous growth, like an inch a day both in hight and width and about doubled in lushesness. 2 days later my shit is crisping up, leaves started brownin and curled upwards dried off. the strangest thing is THIS ONLY HAPPENED ON 2 SETS OF LEAVES, the oldest and biggest pair, and the youngest and smallest pair{sori dont know the lingo, by pair i mean 2 leaves off the same node) so i changed teh water for ph balanced water with no food in it to flush it out. now about 30 hours later she hasnt really grown, now 1 more set of leaves has started going lime green and the main set of leaves is beggining to show nute burn.... nute burn and deficiency at the same time?!?!?!

now i dont even know whats up, cant understand why some leaves are burning some are lime. is this a pest or deseise? i cant see any...water is smelling fine, clear etc... roots are white and not mushy.

temps are all good.....

do you think my plants will make it?

any ideas guys?

sori i cant upload pics, geo data whatver have you(mac user inbox me if you know how)

4 days later no growth really, more lime green and nute burn going on

9. Im following your thread. Ill look into that link you sent me and if i need more help ill come back to you. Theyre either in two or three gallon pots. ill have to check to make sure. If i do make the tea, is it simple to make? And would i just pour it on like i would watering, or would i add it too the water?

10. I don't do the teas often and I have been in the Hort industry in one way or another for 35 years. I started gardening when I was 8. This stuff is mostly instinct with me.
    Go to SG1, he's a lil rough around the gills but he's a great guy and a great grower, his methods with get you good results with the least trouble or expense and he has a lot of nube's there who try teas and all types of grows and he helps them right along. You can always ask me too.
    Just get your first grow in. Learn.
    My friend SkinnyBigBuds did his first grow (closet) and I helped him but oops, I forgot to mention nanners. He got hermed and seeded bad and never knew til he trimmed. Hope for the best do the best you can, take advice study and get through the first one. It may be a success or it may be a disappointment but you will grow with that first grow like you have been gardening for years.
    Just continue as you are and in the mean time learn as much as you can. Look at peoples grows, go back and see how they got there. It's best though to choose someone who grows the fashion you want to. There is no wrong way, to me there are better ways and best ways but any way will work to a certain extent. Just get the first one under you belt and continue as you started and plan the next one.
    As a young man, if you don't want anyone to know what you are doing you better get some house plants or a garden going so you have a reason for what you are doing.
    Do you know if it's a boy or girl? and thanks for following my thread but my friends are great growers for the most part and if I were you I would be looking in on them and what they do.

11. Thank you for all your help. It all means a lot. I will take your advice and make sure i do good. If i have any questions i will come back to you or SG1. And all three plants are beautiful females. Which makes me very happy. If you could inform me of any outdoor growers that i could look on how they grow it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scuba Steve

12. I do and SG1 and Guerilla 45 some Possum38North does some.
    Buzzy does and I got a couple of newbies following lately that do. Some of the Aussies are off now for winter but lots of them do. I'm doing the sip thing outside if I were you I would check that out for next time.
    What area of the country are you in and I will try to find someone in your area growing outside.
    here is the people I know growing outside but don't forget SG1 does all of it. I see these guys around and they hang w/my good buddies. I don't usually invite friends so if they don't ask I don't bother them cause they go where I go on here for the most part. You can learn a lot from the indoor guys too now that you can apply outside. I did that with my grow this year to keep them shorter than what I am used to. Feels strange but much more relaxing for me.

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1002508-camo-pots-w-mj-mama.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1028830-2012.html

Skye is in Hawaii so not sure this counts :D:D:D
    http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/925389-skyclads-summertime-substitute-1-a.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1055061-ncs-outdoor-bush-adventure-2012-a.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1016904-outdoor-south-texas.html

That's a good start for you. Go back and look at lots of pictures, take note when they have trouble so if it happens to you you say to yourself oh I remember someone had that same problem. Don't panic what ever you do. TA problem shows days later then you act and cause another problem thinking it's the same problem. 3 day increments is the key.
    The best advice I can give you is we will tell you when to panic, most of the time you have time to figure it all out. They want to live as much as you do.
    Good luck and stop in any time you like, even the most experienced have troubles as you will see when you are cruising threads.:wave:
    :smoke:

13. How on earth did I forget my friend Lady Gunja!:eek:
    She has an awesome outdoor garden as does MjMamma.

14. Im in the north western part of Pennsylvania. Once again thank you for all the help and advice. It was well needed.

15. I have another problem. I went to go check on my plants about twenty minutes ago, and when i got to them one of the was snapped off in the middle. No idea how it happened. So i took immediate action, cut the very bottom of the top half tore a couple leaves off and buried it in the soil next to the bottom half, hoping it will root. Was this the best thing i can do? Should i do something else? Should i put it in a whole new pot? Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you.

16. Can you bring it inside to a couple of cfl's and an air bubbler.
    Put her in a jar of water with an air stone and aquarium air pump. Mist mist mist any time you go by. Put the cfls about a foot away.

If you choose to leave her out there,
    Put her in her own pot of dirt with NO Nutes!
    scrape lightly, the skin off the stem from the second to bottom node down all the way around. Dip the scraped part in honey, or aloe, or Rooting hormone coating it well and stick a stick or something into the wet soil to make a path and put it in the hole and pack tight. Do not use soil with any nutes at all. It's hard to find these days read the bags and don't ask questions if you are not legal.
    be sure to mist mist mist any time you can
    cut the fan leaves in half from the tip up. Do not bother the other leaves if they are not big fan leaves. If she is in flower set the cfl's to the hours she is accustomed to.

17. In the future if it isn't broken off, it can be turned to your favor in the form of a super crop. Water the stem get her wet and wrap a piece of electrical tape round and round till you make a moist bandage not to stand her up or stick hard but to hold moisture and keep her from flopping. She will straighten out and send up branches as she heals up. If she is broken far and still attached you can use the electrical tape and a bamboo skewer and stand her up split the difference of the skewer between the sides and tape at 2 to 4 places depending on size and weight.

18. I dont have the resources to grow it inside, and with my school and work schedule i wouldnt be able to get them till wednesday. So i have to go with outside. I think theres an old compost pile in the back from the people who used to live here. Im going to go with the honey option. Can it just be regular honey from the store?

19. far as I know. Does your Ma have an aloe plant around? Take a spear of it to the spot and slice it open and drag the cutting through the slime before you plant it.
    Might be a better option if she needs to stay outside. My instincts say any way. Honey may attract ants in the woods. The compost sounds good, got any perlite to add to it. Mist mist mist so take a bottle of water or something you can hide out there to keep her pumped up when you go visit. Depending on the size and if you can keep her in the shade...did I say outside be sure to keep her in the shade while she roots? do.

20. Yes, theres an aloe plant on the windowsill. Ill do that. Ill try to find some perlite around. Should i keep her in the complete shade? How long will it take to root. Also im pretty sure she just started to flower. Is that bad to have her in the shade then? The piece that broke off is about a foot tall. Maybe a tad more. Is there anything i should do to the bottom half? Its the same as before it broke, its just missing a half.