Yellowing leaves on young plant

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Atmo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. #1 Atmo, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    soil

What brand and type of soil?
    Foxfarms Ocean Forest

Indoors or outdoors?
    Indoor

What strain?
    Bagseed (a good bag)

How old is the plant?
    2 weeks

What type of lights and how many watts?
    8x 26w CFLs - 208w total

How far from the lights?
    1-2"

What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    Started with tap water, changed to distilled, now back to tap..

What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    about 80-85F and 30% humidity

What size pots?
    Was a very large pot (like 12" x 12" x 15" tall) at first, just transplanted to a smaller pot as recommended

Any bugs? Look real close.
    No bugs

Any other pertinent info?
    First I noticed a very slight rust coloration on a new growth, but that only lasted a day or two and went away. Now my bottom leaves are yellowing. I thought maybe the rust color was from lack of cal/mag due to distilled water so I switched back to tap.
    The leaves also seem a bit stiff and papery to me.
    Everything else seems fine.
    I realize I may have been overwatering it with the humongous pot the seedling was in, but I'm not sure if that is the cause or what.

EDIT: Actually there is a new/different problem, I posted it below here. The leaves are curling down and twisting ever so slightly. I believe the original yellowing problem is just the first pair of leaves naturally falling off (the cotyledons?)

But anyway, here was the original post:

Here are some pics of the yellowing:

[​IMG]
    This is from this morning, although I remember it looking worse in person D:

another from today, can't really see too much yellow in this one, though:
    [​IMG]

from the day before yesterday:
    [​IMG]

This is my first grow, so I don't know if I'm overreacting or what..
    You can also check out my grow journal so far (link in my signature)

Could it be some sort of deficiency due to lockout from pH? I am waiting to get a good soil pH testing kit..

Thanks!

2. Yep this is overwatering. No signs yet of any lockout or deficiency. I would recommend spending the money on something that measures the pH of the water going in and the runoff as opposed to a soil pH meter. Soil pH meters are notorious for giving inaccurate results, also if you can't measure the ingoing water's pH then it going to be a lot more difficult getting a stable pH. I use Milwaukee's pH600. It cost me $23.00(shipping included) and it works great. I check the calibration weekly and it might move a tenth of a point in 3 weeks. It was well worth the money imo. Hope this helps;)

3. Another suggestion after looking more closely at your pictures. I would do away with the foil you're putting over the soil. This will lead to "hot spots" on the underside of your leaves and will more than likely eventually start burning spots on your leaves. This is just a suggestion. If you do leave the foil just keep an eye out for burnt spots. Once again, hope this helps;)

4. Oh awesome, thanks for the info man. Yeah, definitely gonna get rid of the mylar thing on the soil. Glad to hear it's overwatering, I was a bit worried about that, but I suppose that's not horrible, if I just don't water it for a while. Do you think these leaves will fall off?

As for the pH, I do have pH strips and my tap water is about pH7.. haven't had a chance to get a really good measure for the runoff.

Ok, glad to hear it's not anything more serious. I just hope those leaves don't fall off, even though they are the first pair of leaves :p

Also gonna get a good soil pH meter ASAP.. not one of those cheapo ones either.. I'll have to research around and see what ones are good or not (I know I may have to throw down a hundred bucks or so)

Thanks again dude.

5. Ok, so things have been going well. I actually think that yellowing is just the first pair of leaves naturally falling off (the cotyledons?)
    Anyway, everything else is growing swimmingly, however I've noticed a very slight curling and twisting of the leaf tips, and this morning it was a bit more noticeable (they curl down and twist slightly).

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

as you can see, not really bad at all, but I definitely want to see if there is anything I can do, or just let it be.
    I have a feeling it might be due to the ocean forest being a little too hot for young plants? Perhaps a pH problem?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so hopefully someone sees this new problem.
    Thanks guys!