yellowing leaves- no nutes added

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by blitzkriegen, May 27, 2008.

1. Hey so i have 4 plants growing in the same conditions and are 5 weeks old. its 75-85 degrees, about 7 pH, 6 26 watt cfls. The soil i used was some perilite, sphagnum moss, and vermiculite... this means that there have been no added nutes. but one of my plants has some leaves on the bottom that are completely yellow, and the leaves are starting to get yellow all around, what could this be if there are not nutes? also, check out one of my other plant, it is much bigger then the rest but the leaves are a little droopy, im guessing its just bc i was gone for about 4 days so it didnt have enough water. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 5 weeks old? I think they may need nutes by now. I'm still new, wait till someone else replies.

3. Im no expert, but those look really small for being 5 weeks old.

4. good input. in retort, had some "minor" problems in the first few weeks (its my first grow) but its fixed now and they have been doing fine until the last couple of days.

5. my hydro setup is 5 weeks and there 3 times the size

6. everyone realizes they are not as tall as normal plants are at 5 weeks, if you are reading what i originally wrote about.. i dont care about the size, i am wondering about the yellow leaves, thank you

7. what kind of lights are those under?

a ph of 7 is too high for a marijuana plant, the desired ph would be 6.3 - 6.8. i would recommend you using Aluminum sulfate to lower the ph, because it's basically instantaneous. you wouldn't need much (start with a table spoon?), so don't over add, remember, you can always add more, but you can never take out! start by moistening the soil, and working the Aluminum sulfate into the moist soil until it gets distributed evenly. then water again, and retest the ph, if still not low enough, slightly add more and repeat the above steps until the desired ph is achieved.

also, you could probably start administering a diluted fert solution, and then decrease the dilution every week if your plants react positively.

8. under watering is the cause of that when marijuan gets to dry the botom leaves will start to yellow and dry up just water it good she should perk back up

9. o and they dont look small for 5 weeks look at the pot size a plant can only get big with alot of root room plus he using cfls if you want a bigger yield do a transplant

10. he said its hydro so i doubt underwatering

pot likes a slight acid ph, especially hydroponics... so yeah low - mid 6 ph.

you shouldnt need to add ph down, because this will happen as a side effect of the nutrients you are going to add.

also, how close are your cfl's?

I would recommend starting a new thread under advanced growing since this is a hyrdo setup.

Peace.

11. cool thanks for the info... but just so you know, im not doing a hydro.. that was a comment from another guy. Also, the pictures were taken on my desk, so the lights are not in place... they are the 26 watt daylight 6500K CFLs and are about 1-2 inches from the plants. I know they were stunted for a couple weeks because i had the window in my room closed bc of the outside temp, but then i realized they needed more CO2 so i opened it up. They started growing much quicker, but the high temp (and probably the high pH) have caused them to grow pretty slow. Anyway, i added a little nutes to 2 of them to see what would happened, and it put the pH at about 6.5 so we'll see what happens. Thanks again.

12. Literally, i feel like I'm looking at pictures of my guys a couple of days ago and i just transplanted them outdoors yesterday. Upon transplantation i made the discovery that my plants were just a little bit root bound and i figured that was the cause of my yellowing leaves and slow growth. My thoughts were proved correct when i came out today to see plants that already looked much healthier. They were a vibrant shade of green and the yellowing effect had stopped. My advice is to get them into a bigger pot to give the roots more room to spread. It can't do any harm because you if you still notice yellowing after you transplant, you know that there's something else that you need to fix, and once you've fixed it, you'll have a bigger space for your plants to grow. Best of luck.

13. My soil plant that I just transplanted to my DWC system is at 5 weeks and is at least 3 times as tall as well. They do look small.

-C

14. What's with the obsession with the size of his plants? It's been addressed.

If the size of the plant was the most important thing we'd all be hearing about guys growing 15 foot tall trees in hidden locations. The giant plants don't even tend to make the best weed.

There's no slow start that can't be fixed with an extra week of veg or whatever. It's not a big deal.

blitzkriegen - I'd say your plants are just hungry. Start them out slow and keep upping the nutes until they let you know they're getting enough.