Yellowing Leaves During Flowering...Need N... Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankfest999, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I know that the plants are naturally supposed to have a bit of N deficiency as they near the end of flowering, but ours are only about 35 days into flower...

There was no deficiency of any kind before we began flower, and the yellowing only began about a week ago, but has progressed upwards on the plants... Not all are effected. None of the canopy is effected, but all the fan leaves beneath it have been yellowing and get picked off very easily.

Do i want to add N (by adding in some veg nutes when we water, or some other method) or just allow this to happen? On one hand it seems unhealthy but on the other ppl seem to say that this is a normal phenomena... what do you guys think?? Our buds are just starting to fatten out and we wanna make sure they stay healthy.

I've already done a search and found only ambiguous answers, so anything you can tell me will be helpful... thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I normally dont bump posts but we have to water these TODAY, so i'm trying to find out any info as quickly as possible... thank you

3. During mid-to-late flowering and when you might begin to flush, it's a good sign that the plants are using up the stored nutrients from the soil AND the leaves for the flowers.

I wouldn't really worry unless the buds themselves have burns or loss of pigment on them.

Oh, and yeah I wouldn't worry about putting any N in your watering solution... Stick to Phosphate/Soluble Potash for flowering.

4. Thanks... I've known that they are supposed toget yellower near the end of the cycle, but we're only about halfway though...

We use Botanicare Bloom, an organic product w/ an NPK of (I THINK) 1.5-4-3... guess i wont add any veg nutrient to it for now, just see what happens...

The areas near the tops of the branches, where most of the canopy is, seems unaffected by the N deficiency but the lower fan leaves and even some lower secondary branch leaves are turning completely limp and ripping off w/ little effort.

Like i said before, we had no health problems before the start of flowering, and water with distilled, nuted water

5. Ive asked some random ass questions on here that have gotten like 15 replies, and only one person will reply on this subject? If you dont know, thats fine; but if you can help me, please do... it could mean the difference between having a big healthy yield or not

6. I am experiencing the same thing with ONE of my plants out of 6, all 6 different strains from bagseed. Lots of drooping, fan leaves falling off with a bare pull. It definetly has to do with how the strain consumes nutes once into flowering. Luckily you are using a very good solution; i also use the Botanicare PRO Bloom and some foliar extras...

In any case, you have to assume that since you can calculate that a plant will consume approximately twice as much water once in flowering, that its just that strain that is having issues and maybe it requires a little more water than your usual.

Like a previous post said, if its only the fan leaves, dont stress!

7. Thanks a lot epochz, appreciate it

8. ive had issues like the before, ive come to the conclusion that its Mg def. despite my nutes containing some. its very very easy for indoor setups to lack in Mg. its very easy to cause Mg nute lockouts. and it only compounds when you start flowering, as more and more micronutes are used by the plant.

and the fact that the problem is starting at the bottom of your plant, mainly the fan leaves and progessing upward leads me to think you have the Mg issue as well.

id suggest try adding additional Mg to your plants. just use some epsom salt @ 1tsp per gallon of water. id add it during a regular watering, not when you are feeding it with your regular nute schedule. its worth a try, since over ferting your plants with Mg is very rare and kinda hard to do. unless you would go way over board with the epsom salt.

9. dbonics is spot on it sounds like both a n & mag deficiency as it starts from the bottom up.
    but too make sure its a mag def check the leaves carefully and see if the yellowing leaves have light green veins running through the middle of the yellow leaves,ie; they will look more yellow on the outside of the leaves with light green in the middle of leaves up the middle veins & out to edge of leaves................blothchy looking(techinical term:)) LIME GREEN COLOUR IS WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.

if so then as dbonics says feed epsom salts at a heaped table spoon per 10 gallons or if using metric use level teaspoon per 2 litres ,put epsoms into glass of hot/warm water stir till gin clear & do apply with a feed of your veg nutes at 1/2 strength(no other nutes), will see recovery within 7-10 days........plus your next feed use 1/4 strength veg & re-apply bloom nutes,then next feed just use bloom feed only.

this will help, all the best M.:smoking:

ps,your fan leaves are very important for a good yield, keep em healthy mate;)