Yellowing/curling leaves - Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by UpstateHydro, Nov 2, 2009.

1. First let me explain my set up:
    ( I have 2 under the same light, but they are identical)

It's a 5gl bucket with a tray(1'x2') centered on top. Water pump in the bottom of the bucket that has a 1'' 3ft hose attached that is plugged at the end. The hose from the pump ends in the tray. To the end of that I connected 4 other 1/8'' hoses that lead to the coners of the tray. The tray has a drain in the middle so water falls back into the bucket. It stays on 24/7.
    -I have also haven an air pump for oxygen. 24/7 on

I'm using a 400w MH about 22'' from the plant tips. Veg; 18/6

The room is about 78F, and has good air flow.

Plants are about 4 weeks old and just started to show these signs:confused:
    4x Super Silver Haze
    3x Blue Mystic
    2x White Widow
    2x THC Bomb
    2x ICE

I spent a good amount of money on these seeds so I don't want to screw this up.

Question: WHY ARE MY LEAVES TURNING YELLOW, AND SOME LEAVES CURLING UP?

-I add the correct amount of nutrients and change the water about once a week and my PH is around 7. I am also using a Growth stimulant.

All of my nutrients are Botanicare.
    Veg: Pure Blend Pro Grow 3-2-4
    Grow stimulant: Liquid Karma 0.1-0.1-0.5

Question: What is a good number ratio?^

Any advice?

2. ur ph is to high 5.5-6.1 a good range for hygro, u 5.8-6.0 being ideal. the high ph is causing a lock out of nitrogen and magnesium, also pick up some cal-mag and use as directed.
    question, is ur water acidic or alkaline? if u have to raise ur ph, the base or ph up can cause a lock out also.
    6.0-7.0 is good for soil because the beneficials need that range to produce food for the plants, but in hydro theres no need for beneficials because the food is already avalible for the plants to uptake. and they absorb food thats slightly acidic

3. The PH was around 5. I put baking soda in the water. about a 1/3tsp. this made it jump to around a 7. I think its actually under 7 but close to it. My plants look so much healthier today. I removed some of the lower fan leaves that were spreading yellow fast.

Here are some pictures of the set up, SSH w/ yellowing leave, and unknown plant with curling leaves.

I dont understand because they all use the same water and only some are damaged..

I guess its the strand.

Attached Files:

4. I would do everything you can to block light from getting into your reservoir, you could develop some algae problems.

5. Good idea, ill figure something out and post pics

6. #6 janemba, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
    yeah its def ur ph, the curling of the leaves like that is a tell tale sign of ph imbalance keep ur hydro water around 5.8 and it will be fine, the reason ur not seeing it in some and not others is because there from seed , and not clones. seeds have hidden genetics, u can plant 100 seeds of the same strain, and each plant will have slight variations, some may grow faster and stronger then others and some will show signs of a dificiency before the others. u want to keep the best one ie. good stronge growth, resistaint to pest, and dificiencys. to be ur mother plant. clones most of the time will show dificiencys at the same time because there the same plant.

also using baking soda to raise ur ph can be harmful it can cause a toxic salt build up so use it sparingly
    oh by the way i like ur set up u put some thought into it... good luck

7. I change the water weekly and clean the tubes(will clean every 3 weeks) Iv'e only done it once. so I guess that will help with the baking soda build up. I'll have PHup and down soon enough. just a little strapped for money

8. oh yeah, also growing multiple strains using the same water in the same rez, will cause issues, like some strains need more nutes then other so if u up it the ones that need less will burn if u lower it the one that need more will get deficient

9. Like everyone said, your Ph is high. Once a week I use only water in the system and the water is filtered to remove all harmful city additives. Every week I use fresh water and fresh nuits and the seventh day I clean it out and use water only.