Yellowing and dying leaves. Help needed! PICS

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by GrowMoe, Jun 12, 2009.

1. #1 GrowMoe, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    Hi. Can anyone help me?

How long has this problem been going on? approx. 2 weeks

What STRAIN are you growing? Mazar, N.L. & Big Bud

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) From seed

What is the age of your plants?
    Mazar - 6 weeks, Big Bud 4 weeks, N.L. 2 weeks

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 3 weeks

How Tall are the plants? Approx. 30 cm (one foot)

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
    vegging 24/7

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) Closet grow with CFL

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
    1,5 litre (0.3 gallons)

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
    regular flower-soil, 30% perlite

What Nutrient's are you using? Organic tomato fert.

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* 1/3 strength, 5 ml/3 litres. ( I think it is only 2% Nirogen) Done 2 feedings.

How often are you feeding? Every other watering, watering every 3 days.

What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) Fert/nutes in water.

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? Don't know

What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? It was 7.0

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Ph-pen

How often are you watering? every 3 days or so. When the soil is dry

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? one week ago

What size bulb are you using? 7 23w CFLs

What is the distance to the canopy? 5-7 cm (2-3 inches)

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) 25-50%

What is the canopy temperature? 28-30 deg C

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 28-30 deg C

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) I have one big fan in the closet

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Fan running 24/7, no exhaustfan but keep the door to the closet slightly open.

Is the fan blowing directly at plants? No

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? No...

Is your water HARD or SOFT? ? Tap water? Ph 7.8

Are you using water from a water softener? No

Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
    Cut some of the dying leaves.

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? No

Are plant's infected with pest's? there was some flies, but I got rid of them.

The problem:
    The leaves at the bottom are yellowing and dying.
    The top of my plants are almost dark green and healthy. When I cut the sick leaves, the next day the new bottom leafset was attacked.
    The leaf is turning yellow from the edges inward, and then turns brown/dead.

Can anyone help me?

I think I am going to feed with Ph-balanced solution at the next watering.
    I've balanced it to ph 6.7 with nutes.

I think it is due to wrong ph-levels, or N deficiancy...

What do you guys think? PLEASE HELP!

Attached Files:

2. Some more pics!

Attached Files:

3. Ye, it looks like a simple nitrogen deficiency to me, just add a little extra nutes this feeding. Might want to bring the ph down a bit as well to like 6.5 although 6.7 should be fine. Definetly ph adjust though the plant wont take up the nutes so well at 7.8. Good luck.

4. Thanks for answering so fast!

The ph of the soil is 6.3 so when i water with 7.8 the runoff is at 7.0...

But as you can see on pics, one of the plants is clawing a bit at the top... isn't that due to too much N. ammonium?

Any how... should i flush first, or just feed it (ph is now adjusted)?

5. oh okay 6.7 water will be fine then, I don't know about the clawing im afraid but as its only 1 plant and doesn't look too bad I wouldn't worry too much about it but as I say I don't know. I shouldn't worry about flushing it just feed it and keep checking on them, make sure you don't go overboard although it sounds like the nitrogen in your nutes is a bit low, do you have the NPK ratio for the nutes your using?

6. #6 GrowMoe, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    I think the NPK is 2-5-1...

update: N - 2% P - 1% K - 4.8% Mg - 0.2% Ka - 0.103 Fe - 0.06%. thats the right numbers

7. right, might want to get one with a bit more nitrogen in. I use Canna Terra Vega which works pretty good, is cheap and easy to get a hold of (not organic though). With NPK 3-1-4. But any ratio high in nitrogen for the veg stage is good e.g. 20-10-10 or 10-7-5

8. Ok. I fed the plants. two of the bottom leaves fell off the Mazar (the oldest, biggest and worst attacked). FELL OFF... I'm not too worried though, as I've adjusted the Ph and fed them. The pride of the bunch is the 'mutant' B.B. but the two bottom leaf-sets are dead, and the big leaf-set above them is starting to yellow from the edges. Hopefully the problem is fixed and it won't get worse. Fingers crossed! PS: the NLs are looking good! they are only 3 weeks old though...

9. fingers crossed indeed. Let me know how they get on. Have you got a grow journal?

10. #10 GrowMoe, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
    No grow journal yet. will get to it soon. I've noticed some purple colour on the stems. Not the whole stem, but sections of it. Another sign of N. def? Checked out your grows by the way. what are the meassurements of your bud box? I'm gonna buy one in a couple of weeks...

Edit: Got a journal now... Check it out.

You think is problematic with too low RH?
    Mine is at 23% low and 40% high...
    I'm trying to deal with it. Putting bowls with perlite and water in there, but the water evaporates too fast. It's always dry when I check... If I'm careful to check it and refill, the humidity can get up to like 70%.

Ps: pictures of dying leaves, and plant before feeding...

Attached Files:

11. Update: when I came home today the Mazar didn't look any better at all. The bottom leaf-set fell off when I touched it. Some of the leaves have burnt tips and it is kind of hanging. Not praying at all. The soil was dry so I decided to flush... just to see if that helps. Flushed with tapwater ph-adjusted 6.7 and runoff was 6.5. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

12. After looking thru your pix my impression was nute-burn. Could be totally wrong though. Research the sick baby threads here - lotsa info.
    Another approach you might take though is to do nothing after they're flushed. Stop nutes for 2-3 waterings. And make sure you water thoroughly only when they're getting quite dry. In other words, stablize em before pumping more medicine in em.

good luck bro

13. Yeah thanks man.
    Thats what I thought too. Actually the Mazar came to life after I flushed it. It looked a little weird with the clawing leaves and praying at the same time. LOL. Will flush all the plants in medium/big pots and transplant the others into same size pots (from cup sized pots) in a couple of days when they're dried out.

I think they all need it...:eek:

Pics are of the Mazar before watering yesterday. It looks a little bit better already. :)

Attached Files:

14. My bud box is 1m x 1m x 2m I think (or 1.2x1.2x2) im not entirely sure...its pretty good but its not the highest build quality a couple of the zip pulls have come off and one zip is broken altogether meaning I have a bit of a hole on the bottom right hand side, not much light leakage though there good with that ill just sew it up or something...although not ideal. You can fit 9 plants in comfortably in 15 liter pots (although as you can see I have 11 at the moment in there)

But you can get them pretty cheap on ebay just make sure you dont get a cheaper budget one although mines a legit bud box and still broke...

Ye humidity's hard with out an expensive fogger, I tend to just spray water on my cfl's reflector hood which gets very hot twice a day and keeps humidity at at least 40%. Although ideally it would be at 50% but I have things to do...

Also man id get some bigger pots, they grow more down than up. Dont you have roots coming out the bottom of your pots? You want minimum 10 Liter pots ideally. Also i find its easier to transplant when the soils damp or the soil all falls away.

Useful site for working out whats wrong with plants if you havnt already seen it: The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Grow journal looks good ill keep following, good luck man.

15. Ok. I'm looking at the original Home Box. Thinking about buying the 1mx1mx1,8m (2m) on ebay. Also i'm ordering a 400w HPS...

I don't have reflektors on my CFLs so thats not an option... any other ideas besides a humidifyer?

I have them in 1.5 L pots right now, but I'll buy some bigger ones to transplant into before flowering. Between 10 L and 15 L pots will do right?
    I know yield is in direct relation to potsize so... the bigger, the better yield
    No, there are no visible roots at the bottom of the pot...

Will continue with my plans to flush them tomorrow or the day after...
    we'll see how it goes. :cool:

I really think they're okay now that the Ph is adjusted.
    The Mazar looked better than it had in weeks, after I flushed it.

If the Mutant hasn't gotten any worse I think I've adressed the right problem.

Question: Doesn't this remind you more of a Sativa dominant plant (PIC)?
    This is my biggest and best Northern Lights.... about 4 weeks old (black pot)
    The one in the see-through-pot was transplanted a weeks later.

Attached Files:

16. #16 GrowMoe, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
    Update:

I have watered only like three times now. Some lower leaves are still yellowing a little. I took some pictures yesterday before I watered one of them.

The wierd thing is that The Mutant is hanging and drooping... it really looks like it needs water, but the soil isn't dry yet... Just to see what happened, I gave it a few drops of water and it was back to praying in no time at all!
    So no real problem here, I'm just scared of overwatering...

Seem to have a similar issue with the big NL. It's drooping/hanging down and not looking happy. If I water it, it takes many hours to it recovers, and I can't water it all the time! It's like after I water it, after like six hours it's happy for two hours, and then it's back to drooping... What the hell!?!
    I'm wondering if it just needs more water than the others (it's taller) or maybe it's rootbound.

The smaller NL is a happy camper and does not need to be watered that often. And it's praying to the light like it's life depended on it :D

Superman (the burn victim) it coming along great, but last night some of the CFLs fell down again and burnt it some more :mad:
    I think its allright though... It didn't look so bad when I noticed.
    Pictures are from last night before watering.

Last but not least the Mazar is not getting much worse, but the yellowing of the two attacked leaves is not getting better either. I think the attacked leaves is going to die... It hasn't grown much in the last week either.

What to do???

My own thoughts:
    I'm gonna buy Canna Terra Vega/Flores and some pots and soil. Then I will transplant and feed. Take some clones, and put to 12/12 in a home box.

Any tips are welcome.

Pics: The last two are of the small NL

The first 4 are of the big NL

The 4 in the middle are of the burn victim: Superman!

Attached Files:

17. #17 GrowMoe, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
    Some more pics

The first 3 are of the small NL

The next 4 pics are of the Mutant

The last 3 are of the Mazar

Attached Files:

18. And some more...

The first 5 pics are of the Mazar

The 6th pic are of The big NL

The last ones are of The Mutant (hanging befor watering)

Attached Files:

19. Hey man there looking pretty good. I rekon your plan should be fine. If you get them in some bigger pots with some good nutes then they will have more water available to them constantly if you see what I mean...And if you get that 400w for flowering your looking at a good yield! But be sure you can cool it they get INCREDIBLY hot im really struggling with temps myself with temps getting above 45oC with the hps and cfl on despite having several big fans pulling air through the hps's cool tube. So make sure you budget plenty for fans and ducting before hand.

20. #20 GrowMoe, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
    Yeah thanks man!

I'm getting some bigger pots today. Thinking about buying 15-20 L pots.

Also I'm gonna buy some Canna Terra Vega, and maybe some Flores while I'm at it... I have to get some new soil too. Any suggestions about how much and what sort of nutes? Will ofcourse suppliment with perlite...

And my plants are most likely rootbound.
    I checked under the Mazar yesterday and there were alot of thin roots hanging down a couple of cm... Could the yellowing be do to that or is that just an impossibility?

I'll get them transplanted today and take some more pics after, then post them tomorrow.

PS: should I just get the biggest fan kit available or what? what specs do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help and good lookin' out man!:hello: