Yellowing, and a hole in my leaf?!?!?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ThePerculator, Aug 23, 2017.

1. image.jpg IMG_1063.JPG Can Someone please tell me what this yellowness is and where this damn slit came from?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. How often are you watering? And are you pHing the water? That makes the worlds difference lol I learned that the hard way. Also how old is it?

About the slit, I honestly have no clue how that could've happened other than some kind of critter tasting your plant or an accident bumping it?

How close are the lights? The yellowing could be light burn if you're watering properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. image.jpg
    I haven't used a ph for my water, my local hydro store guy said my area had good tap so I shouldn't have to worry about ph for a few weeks, and when I noticed the yellowing, my lights where over a foot away from the plant, since then I have moved them to less than 6 inches away the plant is 3 days old. It grew a lot since the last pic I will add a pic.

4. Idk why your guy told you that pH didn't matter because it does. Your plant can't take up the nutrients it needs without the water being at the proper pH level. You don't need to add nutrients but the water still needs to be in range for soil (6.4-7.2). I personally like to give mine a pH of 6.6-6.8 and they love it. If you ever decide to do hydro it's just as important, especially from the get go, because the water has to be pH'd between 5.2-6.3.

So to answer the initial question, the yellowing is from nutrient lockout imo. I don't see any other explanation for it especially that young. Plants that young provide themselves with the nutrients they need for the first few days to a week and then begin to use the nutrients in the soil up. As long as you're transplanting pretty frequently with good soil you won't need nutrients for a while. I'm in week 3 now and haven't added any nutes, and have transplanted once.

Second Grow, First Journal

• Like Like x 1
  5. You can't really get light burn from cfl's imo. I keep mine like and inch or two away and it works great. The slit could've been from the shell of the seed as the leaves came out. And also I agree with not adding nutes with that soil. I use the same soil and have only used nutes twice in 7 weeks

• Like Like x 1
  6. image.jpg
    Okay I bought a few items from the store today, I bought a ph tester for the water, and a new veg light because several people have told me that the cfls weren't the best spectrum for vegging, so I bought a t5 dual 2' fixture w/ reflector .

7. New set up with led

Attached Files:

8. Not trying to be a smart ass but t5's aren't LED's..they aren't really much different than CFL's from my understanding other than a much greater output. LED's, for the most part, are complete spectrum lights where t5's and CFL's are usually a specific K and only emit that color light. When flower time rolls around you're gonna need 2700K bulbs and 5000K or 6300K bulbs where you can get away with only the latter two K's for veg. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I don't think your lights need to be that high off the plant either, but I can't say for sure as I do not use t5's. I would slowly lower them until you feel heat on the back of your hand from the light. Temps are also gonna be higher with that light so be prepared for that.

I agree with the idea of the shell possibly tearing the leaf a little. Shouldn't be any kind of problem tho. Keep us updated on how she does with the new light and properly ph'd water

Second Grow, First Journal

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ya I'd lower it for sure. But congrats on the upgrade!

• Like Like x 1
  10. IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1069.JPG
    I can't remember exactly but I think it's 6500k, or 63, can't remember. I lowered them today, it's day 4 and it seems really tall, probably like 4". Tell me what y'all think !

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah she's definitely stretched..you may wanna take a pipe cleaner or something soft and support the stem with it being so tall and skinny. Other than that she doesn't look bad! Did you do the hand check on your lights a while after you lowered them to check the heat? As long as she doesn't show signs of heat stress/damage and you're there to move the lights back as she grows, she should be good to go!

12. IMG_1074.JPG It's looking a lot better with the new lights, and I've even got two new leaves popping out since late yesterday! Day 4 update.

• Like Like x 1