Yellow tips, slow growth , few brown spots help please

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by PICKLEPEPPERS, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hi ive just started some tutankhamun from cuttings there about 3 week into veg most are at 14" . ive had nothing but problems from the start.

first week or so i started to get burnt tips and they didnt seem to be growing as fast a the cheese strains tht ive done before so i flushed them fed them water for few days then started a lower dosage of feed i was only using quarter strengh at firstfeed then lowered it down.

at the minute im on half or recommended dosage on bottle and they still seem to be growing slow. il list symptoms then maybe in few days upload pic but i need help cos ive never come accros problems like this before and ive done quite alot before.

1) yellow tip- top mid bottom doesnt look like there burnt just light yellow in colour
    2) leaf stems purple and vein on stems i do know it can be a genetic thing but a friend has same cutts at same time and he doesnt have hardly any purpling.

3) few brown dots on leafs like 1-2 on only few mid leafs.
    4) slow growth as friends are 3 times as big

so can anyone help please thanks

2. Pics of effected area and whole plant will help

3. Got to have some pictures of the whole plant. I use premium quality grow soil so mine don't need nutes until after they've been in a 1 gallon pot for 3 weeks or so. If you're using the right soil, it should contain plenty of nutrition to carry your plants several weeks into their veg life. Sounds like you've burned them with the nutes naturally in the soil plus adding nutes...even diluted. At this point, if you're using good soil, properly adjusting the pH of any liquids going into your plants...which should only be water up until this point, and don't over water...the plants should be good. The correct pH range and allowing them to dry out almost totally before watering again are two biggies to growing healthy plants. Start your cuttings in Solo cups with good grow soil. Give them only pH'd water until they've gotten as wide and tall as the cup they're in. Then up pot to 1 gal. containers with more fresh good soil and only pH'd water for around 3 weeks. The goal is letting them get slightly root bound each time before repotting and to let them use up the nutrients that are in the soil before giving anymore. Letting them dry out between watering is a must since the roots don't like sitting around in moisture and letting them dry out will force the roots to search out the whole container and form a larger root ball and a healthier plant. If the pH is off, it will eventually lock up the roots on your plants and they can't take in nutrition. So you've got to have a reliable way to test and adjust the pH of anything you're putting in your plants. If you do these basic things, your plants should be healthy and happy. Good luck! TWW

4. Need more info man. Tell us pH, media, lighting, types of nutes, grow space, humidity,etc,etc....

5. #5 PICKLEPEPPERS, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    yh
    temps are 26c, humiditys arounf 35 - 50 but ive got fresh air in and good extaction too growing medium is coco, ph i maintain between green to yellow colour and nutes ive been feeding at.
    1st week 1/4 strength
    2nd week i flushed for few days because signs of burnt tips accured so i flush then left
    3rd week i started to use 1/2 strength to see if it wasnt under feeding

they just dont seem to be growing tht fast there at like 14" at the moment but side shoots are small so are main stems, i was going to gie them another week to see if the main stems fatten up i know 14" is a good size to 12/12 them but i think there lagging behind in growth so i topped them and im going to let them grow for 1 more week because of time schedule i can only spare a week.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    //static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_01_2016/af800d219d36a47a6427e7b2a38977a9.jpg
    //static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_01_2016/f6566a012cedd778db0933689cb5e910.jpg

as you can see in the pic the leaf tips are yellowing on mid and new growth but dont look burnt just light yellow.
    there yellowy brown patches in the pics on the middle leafs but none on new growth and only on a few leafs 1 or per plant.
    the growt just seems to be so slow as ie had preious grows with no complications so im not a beginner its just i dont know if im under feeding or over feeding or am i haing a deficency or nute lock out?

Attached Files:

6. oh yeah and theres purpling on leafs and stems if you cant see tht

7. //static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_01_2016/bea005e093c99cabf4cc19fe8e35c3d8.jpg

Does anyone know whats wrong. please read above

Attached Files:

8. ive read up on mg deficiency and its looking kinda like tht but its also looking like nutrient burn too but growths so slow,

dont know what to do

9. just flushed them now with ph water inc 1/4 strength feed gonna see what happens. would like some help with the above pics though if anyone else has had these same problems

10. #12 mook2707, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016

Something to consider...
    Chasing macro and micro nutrient deficiencies or surpluses early in a plant's life can be very difficult. There are a lot of graphics that show artist renderings or actual pictures of these problems. I keep one pinned up by my tent so that I can keep an eye out for things. However in young plants root problems can present as any number of nutrient deficiencies because that is exactly what they cause. To keep my roots healthy I use mosquito nuggets to kill any fungus gnat larvae. In addition I add a bacteria that eats root fungus but does not harm the plant and is not toxic to people. The plants that I started without these measures exhibited problems like yours... slow growth, yellow and or brown spots. The ones where I added the bacteria actually showed signs of over nutrition because the roots were so healthy and were using every bit of nutes I put in so I dialed them back a bit.
    In the end remember that if you using any type of good soil you don't need nutes before the three to four week mark. Healthy roots are the key!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Thanks for the reply but im growing in coco so there isnt any available nutrients other then the one im using. i thought coco was inhert medium containing no nutrients ?

12. Finally thing ive found the problem. was reading on a thread and found this pic below.

few ppl are saying text book cal/mg deficiency what you reckon looks similar to my problems??
    //static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_02_2016/c683ba2d5b58f627fa232335958cdd2e.jpg

Attached Files: